Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedmaster head studs won’t thread into the block!? Ugh

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi BB, DO NOT USE the pictured Studs as they are the WRONG Pitch.

I would like to know WHO they were purchased from, the invoice will have an extension #/salesman # ?

Try EX # 116 at SpeedMaster.

Did you buy DIRECT ?

When someone places a COPY item in a SpeedMaster BOX, it is a Federal CRIME, the FBI will investigate ! (COUNTERFEIT)

Lance
Hi Lance,

Nope these were bought direct from speedmaster. Back around Dec when they had 15% off the whole site. I gotta look through my email for the receipt but I went right through them. I’m going to call and see what they could do. I checked and 97% were straight and the nuts all had threads so I thought I got lucky lol... figures.

It was a web purchase through there site but I will update u on that info on the invoice.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Sum Ting Wong done screwed the pooch.. Cheap junk.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 PM
07V
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used speedmaster studs on my 4.8 turbo build. 540ish rwhp and holding strong for about 6k miles so far. I ordered mine through amazon, specifically because I know that amazon has a 'no questions asked' return policy. I also returned a set of fast fuel injectors even though I installed them and tried to run them! I didn't have any injector data on them so couldn't get them to tune right, so I returned them! Amazon refunded my money no problem. If I were you I'd return them and try to get your money back and buy them through a business like that, eg: amazon, jegs, summit, etc. Someone big enough to eat the return and not give you crap.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07V
I used speedmaster studs on my 4.8 turbo build. 540ish rwhp and holding strong for about 6k miles so far. I ordered mine through amazon, specifically because I know that amazon has a 'no questions asked' return policy. I also returned a set of fast fuel injectors even though I installed them and tried to run them! I didn't have any injector data on them so couldn't get them to tune right, so I returned them! Amazon refunded my money no problem. If I were you I'd return them and try to get your money back and buy them through a business like that, eg: amazon, jegs, summit, etc. Someone big enough to eat the return and not give you crap.
yea, normally I would. But speedmaster was having 15% off (or something) everything so I got $100 studs if I remember for like $79 or something.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Looks like a metric vs SAE thread to me,, they tend to engage at a gradually less compatible rate..

I run in to the this a lot in my real job working on IT gear and Racks.. Offshore suppliers swap the bolt by accident a lot.. Some just ship both Metric and SAE so they don't have to keep track.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called Speedmaster today. After being put on hold a few times and talking to a few different people without them calling me back after they said they would in 5 min lol I got them to fix the issue. I purchased the studs for $74 on 11/26/17 and due to the length of time the best they could do is have me purchase a new set at the same price, then I need to return my old set where I will get a full refund. Return shipping is on me tho Well see what USPS costs to ship this heavy bastards.Going to stuff them into a flat rate and send it.

I asked them about the thread problem and How i didn't want another set if they are wrong. There response was that they had a bad batch that were machined wrong, they thought they caught them all but apparently not.

I want to hold onto them as the nuts and everything look fine. I will wait for the new set and then verify all the nuts etc are good.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I called Speedmaster today. After being put on hold a few times and talking to a few different people without them calling me back after they said they would in 5 min lol I got them to fix the issue. I purchased the studs for $74 on 11/26/17 and due to the length of time the best they could do is have me purchase a new set at the same price, then I need to return my old set where I will get a full refund. Return shipping is on me tho Well see what USPS costs to ship this heavy bastards.Going to stuff them into a flat rate and send it.

I asked them about the thread problem and How i didn't want another set if they are wrong. There response was that they had a bad batch that were machined wrong, they thought they caught them all but apparently not.

I want to hold onto them as the nuts and everything look fine. I will wait for the new set and then verify all the nuts etc are good.
Sounds like a good plan but I would take O7V advise and buy from jegs or summit. They both price match just show them a email from speedmaster for $74 .and both take returns no questions.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omc8
Sounds like a good plan but I would take O7V advise and buy from jegs or summit. They both price match just show them a email from speedmaster for $74 .and both take returns no questions.
I dont think It works like that. Reason is everything Ive ever price matched (usually through summit) requires a listed price, more than 1 quanity, has to be brand new in the original packaging, same part# etc. A special quote Im sure they wouldn't qualify. Also Speedmaster said due to the time I was only offered a store credit or exchange. In order for me to get the refund I would still have to pay return shipping. I'll stuff it in a $6 flat rate box and just eat it and hope the new studs are threaded correctly and straight. Cheapest ive seen the speedmaster studs is $89.99 on ebay and price matching on jegs its still $90, they have jegs head bolts for $130. Thats prob the route I would go if I couldn't run these studs. Not going to pay $170+ for the ARP head bolts.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont think It works like that. Reason is everything Ive ever price matched (usually through summit) requires a listed price, more than 1 quanity, has to be brand new in the original packaging, same part# etc. A special quote Im sure they wouldn't qualify. Also Speedmaster said due to the time I was only offered a store credit or exchange. In order for me to get the refund I would still have to pay return shipping. I'll stuff it in a $6 flat rate box and just eat it and hope the new studs are threaded correctly and straight. Cheapest ive seen the speedmaster studs is $89.99 on ebay and price matching on jegs its still $90, they have jegs head bolts for $130. Thats prob the route I would go if I couldn't run these studs. Not going to pay $170+ for the ARP head bolts.
Well I dont know about Summit but , I buy alot of parts from Jegs and have never had a problem with them matching the lowest price I can find . And Im very confident they would match even a special quote for me . If I was you I would try , the worst you can hear is NO.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Looks like a metric vs SAE thread to me,, they tend to engage at a gradually less compatible rate..

I run in to the this a lot in my real job working on IT gear and Racks.. Offshore suppliers swap the bolt by accident a lot.. Some just ship both Metric and SAE so they don't have to keep track.
Yep.

Stock head bolts hold more than those anyway, and people are now getting away with reusing the stock ones and boosting the **** out of the motors.

I'd get a new set of OE bolts or ARP bolts if you're looking to go low cost. ARP bolts are way cheaper than their studs, and I'd run those over those crap chinese studs any day. I call them crap, people get by with them okay, but they get by just as well on used stock bolts and there's no thread issues or bent studs or lack of threads.. Those cheapy ones seem to be more trouble than they're worth.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi BB, DO NOT USE the pictured Studs as they are the WRONG Pitch.

I would like to know WHO they were purchased from, the invoice will have an extension #/salesman # ?

Try EX # 116 at SpeedMaster.

Did you buy DIRECT ?

When someone places a COPY item in a SpeedMaster BOX, it is a Federal CRIME, the FBI will investigate ! (COUNTERFEIT)

Lance
No, they wont. But you keep on thinking that.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Crankcase Thread Life

Hi ALL, many here reassemble their engine ONCE and then PRAY it will last forever. I have many customers that REQUIRE their engine to be rebuilt after 2500 Race Miles. This style of engine care has shown me things about how to extend engine life.
The rings/bearings upon inspection are as new. I have learned how to extend valve seat life. I have LEARNED NOT to use bolts in some places, one such is cylinder head bolt placement in an Aluminum Crankcase Deck.

I AGREE with the fact that the GM OEM bolt will work fine on most Supercharged engines ONCE as GM intended. They NEVER intended the engine to be rebuilt.

The REASON not to use bolts is that the threads will "pull" out of the deck area if tightened over and over.

Lance, BTW I have worked with the FBI in counterfeit investigation.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

If you think the FBI cares about some random head studs being the wrong thread pitch, I have an oceanfront vista to sell you in nebraska.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
If you think the FBI cares about some random head studs being the wrong thread pitch, I have an oceanfront vista to sell you in nebraska.
Yeah, I'm sure you have a LOT more experience than Lance on stuff like this, huh? LOL
Old 04-21-2018, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Feebs are just like any other lazy-a$$ed bureaucrats, they'll always go for the easy-pickings. Anything that requires work (for them), better have a damned good return on effort...
Old 04-22-2018, 05:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

So they admit they had defective units, there is likely a manufacturing defect with their product, which are un-used within a fairly standard 12 month warranty period...and they are not replacing them FOC ?

Seems a little odd ?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs down

^^ What Stevie said.
Furthermore, what makes one think the damn things are even heat treated?
Another Chinese parts flipper.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Default Speedmaster Quality Control

Hi G, thanks.

MY WARNING with concern to a Conterfeit item is to help LS-1 Tech members to NOT commit a crime AND if found it needs to be reported !

My STATEMENT was read incorrectly, a lack of schooling, as I stated a "copy" item PLACED into a "named box" is violation of LAW.

The simple fact the Speedmaster accepted a Q/C error rules this out.

My FIRST guess was that this could be an "e-bay" purchase by a person that placed a cheap copy item into a quality name branded box, thus a Fraud AND Federal Crime.

As a manufacturer, I warranty items for production defects.
My method is to have the item returned for inspection. (ISO requirement)
Then if a production defect is found, the item is replace with FREE return shipping.
MOST of my customers are return buyers with future shipping credit given for return shipping charges NEEDED to balance the books!

Lance, BTW lets test a stud ?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got the replacement studs today and there is a huge change in packaging and what looks like quality. I opened up the new studs and threaded one in the block and it threaded right in by hand. Verified they are all straight and all the studs, nuts and washers accounted for. Only a few of the medium length studs have rust on partial threads that I will clean up with a wire brush.

Im only going to tq these to 65ftlbs final and do it in 3 equal steps.

Here are a few pics for proof. Original box is plain white vs new box. New stud is on the left, original incorrect thread on the right.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Default China White

Hi BB, I find it VERY ODD that a "white box" packaging was sold/shipped by Speedmaster !

This is WHY I started the Counterfeit remarks as Speedmaster ALWAYS uses their own Branded Boxes.

The White Box does not break a law.

YOU stated a DIRECT PURCHASE from ???

NOW I agree with that "OLD Geezer" remark, "cheep junk" in the right stud pictured.

MY OBSERVATION is an E-BAY purchase, then a BAD RAP about a Smeedmaster product due the the Part # on the WHITE Box !

Lance