Sponsored by:

Turbo LS1 starting to fall apart, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LS1 starting to fall apart, need advice

Hey.

Here's the thing: i have boosted LS1 WS6 (t56) with full heads, cam, valvetrain etc. mods but stock bottom and i f*ing love that thing.

BUT the engine block started to leak. There is a crack right where the head bolt is, so i think somebody (maybe me 4 years ago, crack seems old, damnit) hydrolocked the bolt while headgasket swap.

I managet to weld the block pretty good, but there was a place where my tig torch wouldnt fit, so i but jb weld at it.

Needless to say, it holds now well and is working, but who knows how long. So im planning to build a new engine.

I am targeting to 700-800 horsepower and thinking 5.3 ironblock. Does people use that block that summit is selling at 350 bucks? I know lots of you are using a junkyard motor, but because i live in Finland, we dont have V8 engines at junkyard, so its a bit risky to order one.

Will stock bottom 5.3 hold lets say 800hp? Or should i buy the new block and forged internals? I am not made of money (just bought a house) and its expencive as hell to order parts here because shipping and eu taxes.

And i have new oilpump, cam etc in my ls1, im assuming those will fit to 5.3? How about the crankshaft?

Just thinkin what would my best course be.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had a friend order the block and it's was good but had another that ordered one and the bore was off but I think if I remember right they come with an unfinished bore so a machine shop will finish prepping the block and make it right. I would take your 5.3 bore it out to the same bore size as your stock ls1 pistons so u can reuse the crank rods cam pistons etc. I bored mine to a 3.905 with forged wiseco pistons so I have a forged iron block 5.7 so basically a iron block ls1 use your heads and intake etc so really it's just the cost of the new block and machine work but your not buying internals should help save a few dollars
Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Teching In

And if i decide to go that junkyard path, is there anyone who can help me find a good shape junkyard 5.3 engine? I have post address at houston, where it can be delivered and they will ship it here.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dimeomboost
I have had a friend order the block and it's was good but had another that ordered one and the bore was off but I think if I remember right they come with an unfinished bore so a machine shop will finish prepping the block and make it right. I would take your 5.3 bore it out to the same bore size as your stock ls1 pistons so u can reuse the crank rods cam pistons etc. I bored mine to a 3.905 with forged wiseco pistons so I have a forged iron block 5.7 so basically a iron block ls1 use your heads and intake etc so really it's just the cost of the new block and machine work but your not buying internals should help save a few dollars
That sounds like a good idea, i haven't thought that, thanks.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Juudeli92
And if i decide to go that junkyard path, is there anyone who can help me find a good shape junkyard 5.3 engine? I have post address at houston, where it can be delivered and they will ship it here.

LKQ is huge here in the states, they are a little more expensive than other junk yards but their engines are capped and sealed and stored. They would probably have the best options for you as for shipping etc. They should also have a lot of engines available since they are so big.

A 5.3 should hold the power, all you'll really need to do is open the ring gaps a little and tune it good and you should be fine. Look for a gen 4 5.3, they have stronger rods

Or do like said above and bore a 5.3 out to 3.9" bore and reuse your parts, but if you do a gen 4 5.3 it will have a stronger
bottom end than your current LS1.

All that being said, if you can get a stock LS1 bottom end to hold the power, the 5.3 will also just as well, and the gen 4 will do it even better.

But if you do a gen 4 bottom end you'll have to do some converting for the different cam and crank sensor and the knock sensors.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 08-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.