Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil shavings on dipstick on new rebuilt engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil shavings on dipstick on new rebuilt engine

Has anyone seen oil shavings like this on a new engine?

Rebuilt LS1. Has run for maybe 10miles, 10296 Melling oil pump. Engine is nice and quiet, sees 40 + psi pressure at idle (20w50). Just noticed when checking the oil these shavings on the dipstick!, Dumped the oil, oil still looks new, can't see any metal at all in the oil.

Any ideas what this could be from?

Old 08-22-2018, 06:14 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

I’d cut the oil filter apart and inspect before I started it back up. Maybe, hopefully this debris wasn’t cleaned off during rebuild? Your filter will tell you exactly what’s going on.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised if it's debris from machining and you may find a little more.

And if you find some metal in the filter, put another on it and run it a little more and see if it continues to dump metal or if it stops. If it stops, cool. If not, you know you need look inside the motor.

I got a new to me truck in January and changed the trans fluid and filter, I cut open the filter and there was a decent amount of metal in there, and the trans is perfect 8 months and almost 10k miles later, however I'm sure that metal has been there a LONG time, it was the original factory filter. In other words, a little metal after a fresh build doesn't always mean it's shot to ****, may be nothing to worry about at all.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Also WHY ARE YOU RUNNING 20w50!

I see so many people do this after a rebuild, unless your motor was built with loose clearances every where then you're doing more harm than good.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I’d cut the oil filter apart and inspect before I started it back up. Maybe, hopefully this debris wasn’t cleaned off during rebuild? Your filter will tell you exactly what’s going on.
I've got my fingers crossed, will cut the filter open tonight after work and post up some pictures
Old 08-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Wouldn't be surprised if it's debris from machining and you may find a little more.

And if you find some metal in the filter, put another on it and run it a little more and see if it continues to dump metal or if it stops. If it stops, cool. If not, you know you need look inside the motor.

I got a new to me truck in January and changed the trans fluid and filter, I cut open the filter and there was a decent amount of metal in there, and the trans is perfect 8 months and almost 10k miles later, however I'm sure that metal has been there a LONG time, it was the original factory filter. In other words, a little metal after a fresh build doesn't always mean it's shot to ****, may be nothing to worry about at all.
Hoping the filter will look good, will find out tonight. If it looks alright, another filter will go straight on with new oil and i'll be keeping a very close eye on it.

Reason for the 20w50 was it's an E85 car, I have a Subaru that runs E85 also and always found it thinned the oil out so didn't want to go too thin. Will try a 10w40 this time.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Never heard of e85 thinning out oil, my guess is it's running too rich and fuel is getting into the oil and diluting it, which a thicker viscosity wont protect against dilution. Or it's not actually thinning out and just appears to be.

I don't know everything so there could be something out there with this, but if it were true, we should see engines burning up all over the place and strict warnings for cars that run e85.

Or e85 would cease to be available because companies would get tired of paying for peoples engines.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 596 Likes on 411 Posts

What kind of metal is it?

It looks like an edge or corner of something got shaved off by something harder scraping against it. Probably during the build but might have been during 1st startup.

E85 doesn't thin oil. Otherwise factory cars set up for it wouldn't tell buyers to use 5W-30 or whatever, same as if they use E10 or other normal pump gas. Put normal oil in it. Your Sube probably had bad rings and fuel washed into the oil... would have done the same thing with race gas, pump regular, av gas, or whatever.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

If it’s a boosted car, E85 will thin the oil.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Teching In

The car is turbo, never had any issues with thinning of the oil at all with the Subaru when it was on pump gas, but as soon as the switch to e85 was done noticed it on the first oil change