Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder head gurus (and salesman) join us!

Old 09-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
FWIW as I understand...
With a set of properly ported heads you'll make more power with forced induction as to is it worth the cost only you can decide. Picking up an extra ~ 50 cfm or more of air flow with a ported head should allow for the same hp at lower boost levels or more hp at the current boots level. Flowing air with less restriction should help with managing heat to some degree.

Actual experience...
I've dealt with Darin Morgan at Reher - Morrison and he's fantastic to work work with on projects. He spec'd the cam for my 416 and did the heads. The curve is exactly what I told him I wanted.

So my best advice is call up Reher - Morrison and talk to Darin Morgan about what you want and what your budget is for the project. Darin will NOT sell you stuff you don't need. I know this from first hand experience. Darin is very cost effective in how he helps you plan and select parts.

BTR and TEA are outstanding. I've had two sets of TEA heads and would happily buy them again.

What I believe based on reading, experience, research and limited interactions...
I've not bought heads or intake from Tony Mamo yet but he is is top notch and I think he would also be an excellent choice. I have tested an intake Tony ported and it was everything expected and more. Tony knows his stuff.

Mast, I talked with them before my last project and was impressed. Then I did lot of research. Keeping with the politically correct nature of forums, I will say Vengeance Racing gets excellent results with MAST heads. I'd go with MAST heads if Vengeance did the build. Always found VR to have excellent quality, outstanding customer service and outstanding communication when I buy stuff from VR. I'll pass on drinking directly from the Mast kool-aid fountain.

All Pro makes a truly outstanding aftermarket head if you have the budget.

The SPS Haymaker cylinder head is an excellent aftermarket head. Gavin is knowledgeable and a School of Automatic machinist graduate. He designed the head and it had a lot of excellent design features. I've talked with him before and was impressed. He's open and honest about lead times and turn times.
I appreciate you taking the time to address some of my questions! I will certainly look into the options you have mentioned
Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I thought in a NA engine the piston's downstroke sucks air into the cylinder. With a blower or turbo, they push the air into the cylinder.

One of the things that helped me get my head around all this is the realization that a 2 bar map can only read 1 bar of boost, because there is already 1 bar of pressure in the atmosphere.. And if you data stream an OEM turbo vehicle, you'll see the boost reading at 14 when the car is at idle, when it spools up it goes up from 14

The more I think about what I already know (the above about there already being pressure in the atmosphere) and how engines respond to head work without additional boost from a blower/turbo, the more i'm starting to sway toward heads being as important or more important than without boost, where I was kinda down the middle. I knew it was important but I was also of the mindset it's not as important with boost. If there is already 14.7 psi in the air and engines respond so much from head work, why wouldn't they continue to respond as that pressure goes up.. I'm starting to picture restriction in flow under pressure, since there is always pressure.. I think we get caught up forgetting to remember there's already pressure there. This isn't a no pressure vs pressure situation. It's a pressure vs more pressure situation. And since boost is a measurement of restriction, reducing restriction is key.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 09-13-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Good thinking, Pooter! Food for FURTHER thought...
Old 09-13-2018, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
The more I think about what I already know (the above about there already being pressure in the atmosphere) and how engines respond to head work without additional boost from a blower/turbo, the more i'm starting to sway toward heads being as important or more important than without boost, where I was kinda down the middle. I knew it was important but I was also of the mindset it's not as important with boost. If there is already 14.7 psi in the air and engines respond so much from head work, why wouldn't they continue to respond as that pressure goes up.. I'm starting to picture restriction in flow under pressure, since there is always pressure.. I think we get caught up forgetting to remember there's already pressure there. This isn't a no pressure vs pressure situation. It's a pressure vs more pressure situation. And since boost is a measurement of restriction, reducing restriction is key.
I agree with all of this. For my part, I was never arguing if heads were important or as important on a boosted setup. The best you can make at 1 bar of boost is NA power X2 so the more power you make NA, the more power you make under boost. The fact is that most people skip them because if you pick up 50rwhp swapping to a set of ported heads.....90% of the people say, "Big deal, that's literally 2 psi." In an NA application, gains that people get excited about from swapping things like FAST intakes and UDP's, etc.; nobody cares about in the boosted world unless its max effort because they can always turn that little boost ****. Obviously things like compressor efficiency come into play as well as controlling IAT's and back pressure. There are other benefits to cylinder heads in high HP applications, like a thicker deck which will help prevent pushing water under higher boost. Another benefit is a less restrictive exhaust and larger headers in the case of a blower, because they will typically drop the boost made, while keeping the power the same, increasing efficiency. All good stuff.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I agree with all of this. For my part, I was never arguing if heads were important or as important on a boosted setup. The best you can make at 1 bar of boost is NA power X2 so the more power you make NA, the more power you make under boost. The fact is that most people skip them because if you pick up 50rwhp swapping to a set of ported heads.....90% of the people say, "Big deal, that's literally 2 psi." In an NA application, gains that people get excited about from swapping things like FAST intakes and UDP's, etc.; nobody cares about in the boosted world unless its max effort because they can always turn that little boost ****. Obviously things like compressor efficiency come into play as well as controlling IAT's and back pressure. There are other benefits to cylinder heads in high HP applications, like a thicker deck which will help prevent pushing water under higher boost. Another benefit is a less restrictive exhaust and larger headers in the case of a blower, because they will typically drop the boost made, while keeping the power the same, increasing efficiency. All good stuff.

Yep yep.

It was surprising the see the power gain in that mamo link above though, I wouldn't have guessed it would have been THAT significant.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Good thinking, Pooter! Food for FURTHER thought...

mmmm foood
Old 09-13-2018, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

mmmm foood
Yeah. I know,,, getting to be that time....
Old 09-14-2018, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm no expert engine builder or anything but even I understand there is always 1 BAR of pressure or close depending on the elevation . The air is always being pushed, not drawn ,be it supercharged or NA .
Old 09-14-2018, 02:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts

You can convert from mass air flow to CFM's for a given air density, so that is really semantics.
Yes and no... I mean, like I said, CFM as measured at the air intake clearly goes up. But it's an awkward way to measure when the air in question is at a different density than the density implied by the unit of measurement. That complication just makes things harder to reason about. Also - and this is the very worst thing about it - it invites nitpickers to derail the discussion.

I'm interested in how the vendor handles a situation when something DOES go wrong. As you said, all vendors have failures, but its how they handle said failure that defines them.
On this point I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate all the comments, I have gained a lot of insight from all of you.

However, there has been little in the way of hard data. Does anyone have any real world performance data (particularly on smaller bore engines) from switching from basically stock heads to an aftermarket casting on a supercharged application? Any information or links to data that shows the difference between different aftermarket heads brands/sizes? I've scoured the ls1tech forums the past few days and found precious little info on small cubic inch supercharged setups and gains with aftermarket heads . I've seen a quite a bit about turbo setups, is the principle the same or does supercharging have different variables?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Check out this thread on the CTSV forum. See post #9.
Dyno graph, only change going from LSA heads to Trickflow

~50 whp & ~50wtq through out the entire range & curve.

LSA CTSV dyno gains from head swap only

Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

You might find a lot of data on yellow bullet for that kind of comparison. Just may not be on the LS platform, but physics still work the same.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So with this 15 PSI of pressure pushing air in the motors. The motors are here too in this 15 PSI of pressure. So it's all zero. Cylinders do produce vacuum on the intake stroke. Which sucks air in. Think of when the throttle plates close & manifold vacuum goes up. They are pulling a vacuum. This is physics. A pretty sealed cylinder with a piston starting at the top pulling down, increasing area, will either pull air in or create a vacuum. Or both. To think it's just the pressure doing all the work you should just have to open the intake valve quick when it's at BDC, not pulling a vacuum in cylinder with some reed valve, & the cylinder will fill right up & run great? No it wont. Everything is at the same pressure, in the same area, as why some call it zero. As after a power stroke/cycle, after pushing the exhaust out, it still may have some pressure in the cylinder. Higher than the 14.7 ambient. It needs to make vacuum. Or no run.

I'm sure we know how engines work. Just seems every now & then some new theory comes out. Not heated. Just friendly.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

You don't need good heads with a boosted engine!!

Tony's ported heads gained a 100 ft pounds of torque, see dyno graph in thread.

"So what is a clean sheet premium head really worth on a boosted engine with a sizable blower and an appetite for some air??.....on this one well over 100 ft/lbs of torque at the exact same boost level) and close to that in horsepower as well!!"
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Check out this thread on the CTSV forum. See post #9.
Dyno graph, only change going from LSA heads to Trickflow

~50 whp & ~50wtq through out the entire range & curve.

LSA CTSV dyno gains from head swap only
This was an excellent read, thank you!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

"So what is a clean sheet premium head really worth on a boosted engine with a sizable blower and an appetite for some air??.....on this one well over 100 ft/lbs of torque at the exact same boost level) and close to that in horsepower as well!!"
YASSSSS, that's exactly the type of real world information i was looking for! thank you

Old 09-14-2018, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by snapdude
I appreciate all the comments, I have gained a lot of insight from all of you.

However, there has been little in the way of hard data. Does anyone have any real world performance data (particularly on smaller bore engines) from switching from basically stock heads to an aftermarket casting on a supercharged application? Any information or links to data that shows the difference between different aftermarket heads brands/sizes? I've scoured the ls1tech forums the past few days and found precious little info on small cubic inch supercharged setups and gains with aftermarket heads . I've seen a quite a bit about turbo setups, is the principle the same or does supercharging have different variables?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Bspeck82
How about an example from a guy who has put together more engines than any of us combined? Tony Mamo...https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ed-engine.html

Going to tell me he is wrong too?

Post 21 in THIS thread. Click the link
Old 09-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Post 21 in THIS thread. Click the link
yes, i noticed after the fact.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:55 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

They had to spin that blower faster though. Not a real test of the heads.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by snapdude
yes, i noticed after the fact.
LOL, it happens man

Search this Thread