Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install help *UPDATE** 7-1-19

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats unfortuante. I think the only thing to do is get the timing cover back off. I've never used adjustable timing sets. Sure all your sensors are hooked up? All plug wires seated? Good o2 sensors? Not sure how radical you went with the cam but did you get a mail order tune or are you trying to start on a stock tune? The adjustable cam gear worries me a bit, i have no idea if those can move if say a set bolt wasnt tight. Sometimes dot to dot is hard to judge as they pass, but it's also hard to not notice you're a dot off. I've fought with timing belts on vr4 and ls430 where 4cams are on but the crank ends up one tooth off and it's taken me 2 or 3 trys.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

Most timing sets dont use an adj cam gear unless you get the hex a just from Cloyes.
They use a crank gear with degree keyways and a separate oil pump drive.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I pulled the timing cover back off the motor to get to the cam gear and crank sprocket and seen that my buddy did have the timing off it was set DOT to 0 so it was off a little bit so we pulled the chain off and spun the crank to the right a little bit and lined it up dot to dot and put everything back together tired to fire it up and NOTHING......just popped threw the intake and was turning over like their was no compression so I did a compression check and it was a straight 0 now my buddy thinks that the timing if off 180 but how is that even possible? the cam when pulled out was dot to dot perfectly and went in the same way im so fed up with this thing at the moment something that is really not that hard is taking so much time

how would a cam that is 180 out be made right?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Not possible. if you line the dots up it cannot be 180 off. you dont make a cam 180 out by being dot to dot.
Are you using an adjustable timing set?
You can have a bad cam or crank sensor causing issues BUT if the cam gear was off, its a good chance you have bent valves.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:18 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

What is the setup here? What cam? I’m ASSuming stock bottom end, by your signature? Have heads been cut?
Did you measure pushrod length?
IF camshaft is in correct this time, and you have no compression, you either have bent valves, or way too long pushrods.
I’m not sure I’d let your “buddy’ touch your car again.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Not possible. if you line the dots up it cannot be 180 off. you dont make a cam 180 out by being dot to dot.
Are you using an adjustable timing set?
You can have a bad cam or crank sensor causing issues BUT if the cam gear was off, its a good chance you have bent valves.
I dont think its adjustable its a rollmaster set tsp sent me with the kit it does have different degree marks on the crank sprocket but its just lined up dot to dot and the cam sprocket is just a solid piece

Originally Posted by Che70velle
What is the setup here? What cam? I’m ASSuming stock bottom end, by your signature? Have heads been cut?
Did you measure pushrod length?
IF camshaft is in correct this time, and you have no compression, you either have bent valves, or way too long pushrods.
I’m not sure I’d let your “buddy’ touch your car again.
Set up is
243 heads
ms4 cam
Pushrods are 7.4 i got the whole kit from tsp
Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg725
I dont think its adjustable its a rollmaster set tsp sent me with the kit it does have different degree marks on the crank sprocket but its just lined up dot to dot and the cam sprocket is just a solid piece

Set up is
243 heads
ms4 cam
Pushrods are 7.4 i got the whole kit from tsp
That’s a big camshaft. At this point I’d lean toward bent valves. Do a leakdown test to confirm. Hopefully I’m wrong...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is indeed an adjustable timing set. It has degree engravings on the keys for the crank in 2° increments + and -. It also has the same degree engravings on the teeth for the chain timing. They are not directly in line with each other. If you did not install the crank gear at 0° on the crank keyway, but did install the cam sprocket and chain at dot to 0°, it is out of time. You said your compression test was zero, and with a cam as large as the MS4, I'm willing to bet you crunched some valves. Also, it is impossible to install an LS cam "180° out". If the relationship between the crank and cam are indeed dot-to-dot, it is correct. Mechanically, the engine doesnt know or care if it's on the compression or exhaust stroke. The computer takes care of all that.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yikes, talking about bent valves isnt a good thing.

Befor you tried to start it the first go around did you rotate the engine by hand? That should've told you if you were so far off that valves would hit pistons. Good to know you atleast found something off the marks.

Id throw the stock stuff back on and an upgraded chain. Whats the point of an adj timing set if you leave it in one spot lol?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Well I take it your buddy didn't use a cam degree wheel and verify the valve events to the cam spec card. Sounds to me like your valve events are off and an engine can't build compression if valves are open on the compression stroke.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
That is indeed an adjustable timing set. It has degree engravings on the keys for the crank in 2° increments + and -. It also has the same degree engravings on the teeth for the chain timing. They are not directly in line with each other. If you did not install the crank gear at 0° on the crank keyway, but did install the cam sprocket and chain at dot to 0°, it is out of time. You said your compression test was zero, and with a cam as large as the MS4, I'm willing to bet you crunched some valves. Also, it is impossible to install an LS cam "180° out". If the relationship between the crank and cam are indeed dot-to-dot, it is correct. Mechanically, the engine doesnt know or care if it's on the compression or exhaust stroke. The computer takes care of all that.
This is good to know that it cannot be 180 out because that's what they were trying to say it sounded like, I also called TSP today before I read all this and they said the same thing so I know I wont have to take the timing chain off again sense it is for sure dot to dot, TSP told me to use a pushrod checker to make sure that a 7.4 is indeed the correct push rod and then the tech guy asked me if I installed the head without a head gasket lol kinda laughed at that part but im sure there has been people that have done that

Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Well I take it your buddy didn't use a cam degree wheel and verify the valve events to the cam spec card. Sounds to me like your valve events are off and an engine can't build compression if valves are open on the compression stroke.
Tsp cams are the most accurate in the industry. using that rollmaster set ive seen .1* digitally...on 20 cams. They degree every single cam that goes in a short block or long block etc and get exactly the same.

The rollmaster set is adjustable by the keyed crank gear. if you have the crank gear on the wrong keyway advanced or retarded with that ms4 cam youll have major issues. make sure it is installed correctly.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by trilkb
Whats the point of an adj timing set if you leave it in one spot lol?
Billet heat treated gears, ultra precise, torrington thrust bearing and the P chain on the rollmaster set, just to name a few reasons.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

But there was only 1 way to slide the crank gear on with it having the key the numbers were facing outwards so it only went on 1 way and before putting everything back on i made sure the dot on the sprocket tooth lined up with the dot on the cam sprocket
Old 10-18-2018, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

There is only 1 way to put the oil pump drive on but there are 9 keyways cut in to put the actual crank sprocket on.

The crank sprocket has to be at 0. which is the middle of the keyways.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
There is only 1 way to put the oil pump drive on but there are 9 keyways cut in to put the actual crank sprocket on.

The crank sprocket has to be at 0. which is the middle of the keyways.
on the one that i have there is only 1 key way on the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket is on the right way thw dot is facing outward twords me thats how i lined it up dot to dot
Old 10-18-2018, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

on the one that i have there is only 1 key way on the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket is on the right way thw dot is facing outward twords me thats how i lined it up dot to dot
Every rollmaster timing set has 9 keyways especially the cs1180 which is what you likely got.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you put new pushrods on motor? If they are to long it will hang your valves open and you won't have any compression. Seen this happen on a small block. On a small block you can adjust preload with the rockers.On the LS you adjust with pushrod length.

Last edited by gagliano7; 10-19-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah new push rods that came with the cam package 7.400

Do smaller push rods need to be used with 243s? I seen the cc on 853 is 66 and 243 is 64cc
Old 10-30-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

This thing run yet?

Quick Reply: Cam install help *UPDATE** 7-1-19