Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked a cam for lq9 408 w/tfs 215s

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All, thanks for the info. SO can a cam that has longer duration be tamed down a little by having wider LSA?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by irocbrninrubber
All, thanks for the info. SO can a cam that has longer duration be tamed down a little by having wider LSA?
Basically yes
Old 10-24-2018, 12:08 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

My cam in my 416ci with cathedrals is a 251/258 .649 .615 110+2 LSA lol makes all the powers and drives great
Old 10-24-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by irocbrninrubber
Short answer yes, but it depends what you want to compromise. You want later IVC so low end is anemic? Or you want to push exhaust valve even earlier so you lose torque?

Usually if street manners are a concern, you end up reducing duration to preserve your efficiency and torque.

If you REALLY want to keep the duration and run a wider LSA, then you will likely want more compression to restore throttle response. That helps compensate for late IVC and early EVO

MAVN post below likely runs pretty good compression to work with that cam, as an example. Displacement and compression are great cam tamers.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:29 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Short answer yes, but it depends what you want to compromise. You want later IVC so low end is anemic? Or you want to push exhaust valve even earlier so you lose torque?

Usually if street manners are a concern, you end up reducing duration to preserve your efficiency and torque.

If you REALLY want to keep the duration and run a wider LSA, then you will likely want more compression to restore throttle response. That helps compensate for late IVC and early EVO

MAVN post below likely runs pretty good compression to work with that cam, as an example. Displacement and compression are great cam tamers.
Yes Sir 12.5:1
Old 10-24-2018, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
CamMotion spec'd a camshaft for an LS427 nitrous motor I was building and they suggested 236/242 .632 In. .617Ex on a 112+4 LSA was the biggest cam he would go if on the street.
I am not sure who you spoke with on this, but I would like to talk to you about this one in more detail if you have not purchased a camshaft yet. If you would, send all the details of your build to Steven at CamMotion.com. I want to make sure you get the right camshaft for the job.

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 10-24-2018, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF
I am not sure who you spoke with on this, but I would like to talk to you about this one in more detail if you have not purchased a camshaft yet. If you would, send all the details of your build to Steven at CamMotion.com. I want to make sure you get the right camshaft for the job.
My comment was not intended to throw dirt at CamMotion so my apologies if it came across that way. I've always been pleased with your products and customer service but I really cannot recall who it was I spoke with over the phone as it was 5-6 years ago. I told him what I was building and it's intended purpose. When I questioned the camshaft selection he told me that was the biggest he would recommend so I purchased it. After speaking with Martin at Tick about my build he steered me in a different direction on the cam so I gladly purchased a different one which happens to also be a CamMotion camshaft. I've had the pleasure of talking to Bob regarding the Titan King LS7 LLSR cam and I'm really leaning in that direction when it comes time to go back into the LSX motor. Steven we've already talked about this new build. It's a Gen 3 block with a 4.030 bore, 3.622 stroke with 12cc domes and 823's up top and once I've made up my mind on the intake manifold I'll be calling you back.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talked to steve yesterday and I am going to keep the recommended cam. I will update once everything is put back together. Wish me luck!!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I've had the pleasure of talking to Bob regarding the Titan King LS7 LLSR cam and I'm really leaning in that direction when it comes time to go back into the LSX motor. Steven we've already talked about this new build. It's a Gen 3 block with a 4.030 bore, 3.622 stroke with 12cc domes and 823's up top and once I've made up my mind on the intake manifold I'll be calling you back.
Sounds good. Just let me know when you are ready!

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 216 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I stopped giving any eff words over LSA. its a calculated result is all it is. Like displacement. I care more what bore and stroke are than the displacement.

Two engines at 383. One is 3.9 bore x 4.0 stroke. Other is 4.1 bore and 3.622 stroke. Same displacement but will behave quite differently.

LSA is a result of calculating the valve events and is helpful for calculating valve events from the cam spec, which I really just view as short hand notation.

Want to know what rpm it makes peak torque and HP? Look at IVC and intake runners length. Want to know how smooth it will idle? Look at IVO and EVC to calculate overlap. Want to know how well it carries past peak? Look at EVO and overlap. And none of that matters without also looking at displacement and compression.

224/224-112+0
232/240-112+4

Both make peak torque and power at same rpm because 44 IVC. 232 will sound cooler at idle because more overlap (12 vs zero) will carry better past peak because overlap and EVO of 56 vs 44. 224 will drive easier because less overlap. 232 will make more power because more duration. So what did LSA do? Nothing.

What if we took that 232/240 cam and made it 232/232-114+6? We changed LSA and exhaust duration right? No. Wrong. We moved the EVC event 8 degrees. Other three events are still identical. LSA is just a calculation result.

Ok
/rant.
Lol
This is really interesting information, thanks Darth!