Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil coming out of throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question oil coming out of throttle body?

im doing an overhaul on a LS1 i bought that was picked out of a 02 WS6. had really low miles, 45k on the cluster and it's pretty damn clean.

last night i had the motor on my picker and it was resting on a tire leaning forward because i was replacing the pilot bearing and rear main seal. and i noticed oil was leaking out of the throttle body.

is this normal? or do i need to take apart the intake manifold too see what's going on?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I would guess it being a pcv issue
Old 10-24-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

No way for it to happen with the vally cover these engines have. Pcv in these cars aren't great, coats the intake manifold. Probably just seeing residual oil collecting and coming out.

Good reason to get a catch can.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by RebornS14
im doing an overhaul on a LS1 i bought that was picked out of a 02 WS6. had really low miles, 45k on the cluster and it's pretty damn clean.

last night i had the motor on my picker and it was resting on a tire leaning forward because i was replacing the pilot bearing and rear main seal. and i noticed oil was leaking out of the throttle body.

is this normal? or do i need to take apart the intake manifold too see what's going on?
Do you have a line coming from the passenger valve cover to the throttle body? Do you also have a line running from the drivers side valve cover to the intake manifold? If so I can see you getting oil residue into your throttle body and intake manifold. If you want it to stop then run each of the lines from the valve covers to a breather can and close off the ports on the intake manifold and throttle body or you could run them to the inlet side of a sealed catch can and cap off the throttle body port. Then connect a line from the outlet of the sealed catch can to the port on the intake manifold.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

The answer to your question is yes you will have to go through everything and thoroughly clean. You are seeing first hand the results of PCV as it has gummed up the throttle body, intake manifold, combustion chambers and the valves in the cylinder heads.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh cool. thanks for the replies. The engine is 100% stock. no aftermarket plumbing or hose routed other than from the factory.
i already plan on running a PCV catch can so that should do it then. thanks for the input guys.
loving the new chapter in my cars life which will have the LS motor in a few weeks.
you guys are a lot friendlier and mature than the forum i had to previously deal with.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RebornS14
you guys are a lot friendlier and mature than the forum i had to previously deal with.
4chan?