Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 5.3 -> 5.7 build for circle track racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by rednari2
A little nitpicking here, but I think you have the weight allowances reversed. I think it show read 2350 for iron heads and 2300 for aluminum.

maybe they make you add weight since you can get a little more power with aluminum heads? witch is questionable
Old 11-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little nitpicking here, but I think you have the weight allowances reversed. I think it show read 2350 for iron heads and 2300 for aluminum.
The weight isn't an "allowance", it's a minimum requirement You must weigh at least that amount.

They let you run a little lighter if you are running steel heads.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Teching In

As a former short track asphalt racer, I have a few comments. First, I like the car. Second, use a Gen I. The parts are everywhere and cheap. Don't think you are going to out flow a Gen I with an LS. There are so many SBC heads that flow, flow, flow. The LS is a great motor but its key design feature is a massed produced head which flows well out of the box. That why GM made the switch., besides the better electronics.

These motors are expensive to build. Not in comparison to a Ford Coyotte, but when compared to an SBC. You must have eight coils for instance. You can use a crank trigger to get the same spark performance as a reluctor wheel. I don't think it will make more power unless you bend the rules. There are so many reasons that I do not know where to start. Think about it.

Also I am glad to see a short tracker on the forum. In general, this forum is all about drag racing. These guys do not know what their missing. My first race was with a stock car on a 3/8ths dirt track. It was an open stock class with the B models being stock except for safety upgrades and the A class allowing headers and cams. I won't tell you the year of the car because it will give away my age :-), but the car was locked in second.When the race starts, everyone starts fighting for the rail. Door handle to door handle banging away at each other fighting for the rail. God, I loved it! The experience is almost as good as the first POA.

You got me excited. Keep us posted with the results, and certainly show us your first trophy.
The part that got me interested in an LS was being able to pull a whole short block out of the junkyard and run it stock. That seems like it would save a lot of money. Bolt on $1,500 worth of heads and off to the races !
Maybe i'm dreaming

Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX10
The weight isn't an "allowance", it's a minimum requirement You must weigh at least that amount.

They let you run a little lighter if you are running steel heads.
I know that. But, these rules put stress on an iron motor. An iron headed motor weighs about 50 lbs more than an Al. motor, and yet it, if the table is true, must weigh 50 less. It seems unfair. That is actually a 100 lb difference. While it seems it is a balance by making the Al motor heavier, it actually requires the iron car to reduce its weight by 100 lbs, to wit: 50 for the heads and 50 for the lower weight minimum. The builder has to remove the weight from somewhere and maybe give up something in performance and/or safety to make the minimum.That rule can be interpreted in many ways.

I know, I know, its a minimum and the car could weigh more, but who would do that. So, if the minimum is lower, and the motor is heavier, I believe it is a disadvantage. Something has to go such as body integrity or brake size or something. Thats why I wondered if it was a misprint.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

The part that got me interested in an LS was being able to pull a whole short block out of the junkyard and run it stock. That seems like it would save a lot of money. Bolt on $1,500 worth of heads and off to the races !
Maybe i'm dreaming
I like you guy. Dream on, but the economic realities of life dictate an SBC build, unless of course you have a sponsor like say WS6 store which promotes LS performance and maybe willing to help you with the parts if you are willing to put their name on the car. :-)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

RacerX10,

Would this sort of head be useful?
Price in the LS1TECH classifieds was ~$1,100 as is with Del West titanium Valves.

Set of ported 799 (like a 243 head that's been mentioned) Wegner Nascar spec heads out of the board classifieds with titanium valves & beehive springs that can rev to 8,000 rpm with stock LS7 lifters with correct cam selection. There were used on 6.0 blocks and probably good for ~565 whp with dry sump, vacuum pump etc. Like any used head they need to be checked before using.

With ported Super Vic or better yet a CID intake, maybe a little touch up to the heads, they would probably make good cheap power.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 11-14-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I like you guy. Dream on, but the economic realities of life dictate an SBC build, unless of course you have a sponsor like say WS6 store which promotes LS performance and maybe willing to help you with the parts if you are willing to put their name on the car. :-)
I know quite a few series that have or are switching over to LS engines because you can actually make more power with relatively few mods than a standard SBC, No need for forged crank/rods/pistons and the valvetrain is pretty stable in the stock configuration. It's easy to make 500+hp with mostly stock parts. The LS platform is a huge upgrade in many ways over the old small block.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I know quite a few series that have or are switching over to LS engines because you can actually make more power with relatively few mods than a standard SBC, No need for forged crank/rods/pistons and the valvetrain is pretty stable in the stock configuration. It's easy to make 500+hp with mostly stock parts. The LS platform is a huge upgrade in many ways over the old small block.
I agree with you, and thats the obvious reason for using the LS. When I first started racing there where no aftermarket blocks. Everything had to be reinforced and made by you. For instance if you wanted billet main caps, you had to machine them yourself or get them from a friend who could do the work.

But, everyone today uses aftermarket blocks and parts, and also crate motors for beginners. The gen 1 circle track motors are reasonably priced. Anyway, it was a nice thought. Maybe he should take Blackbirds suggestion. At least in open class racing where you do it for fun.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Updating an old thread. Have switched gears a bit. Still using 5.3 Gen III. Sticking with stock heads / short block. Just going to do a few upgrades to get 475 ish HP that will run all day. Thinking rod bolts, valve springs and a cam.

Called Comp Cams, they kinda steered me in a very expensive direction that seemed overkill when my goal is 475 hp and a 3500-7000 rpm race range.

It's got the 706 heads on it, but my local pick-a-part has 862's for 80 bucks if I go pull them off myself, thinking of doing that just so I don't have to worry about cracked heads.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updating an old thread. Have switched gears a bit. Still using 5.3 Gen III. Sticking with stock heads / short block. Just going to do a few upgrades to get 475 ish HP that will run all day. Thinking rod bolts, valve springs and a cam.

Called Comp Cams, they kinda steered me in a very expensive direction that seemed overkill when my goal is 475 hp and a 3500-7000 rpm race range.

It's got the 706 heads on it, but my local pick-a-part has 862's for 80 bucks if I go pull them off myself, thinking of doing that just so I don't have to worry about cracked heads.
do you plan on keeping the 862’s stock? I’d put the bigger valves in them.