Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, 799 rockers are the same as stock LS1 rockers
Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Any insight on the crossover tubes?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 AM
formerly 04 Rooster (2013-12-10)

You can knock the ribs off the bottom of the LS6 intake or switch to the LS6 pipes. If your cheap like me (and many others) just knock the ribs off the bottom. Did that on my C5 and will be doing it again on my Trans Am.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I like the coolant spider vs the blocked off rears. Definitely better.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Been a long time-I spent a good part of winter doing some port work on the 243s. Nothing crazy just getting rid of rocker stud lump, swirl ramps and cleaning up the bowl well, as well as narrowing down the guides. I just got done lapping valves and hope to have heads on this weekend. Question-I need to measure for new pushrods. I took some old lifters apart but cant seem to get anything to go in them to make them solid. When I hold them in my hand I cant compress them. Should old lifters be like this? Will they compress when torquing the rocker bolts?

Also got updated LS gaskets from ws6 store. Does anyone have an idea of common around the shop items that could act as a mock gasket (compressed) in order to take the pushrod measurement?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Petemw01 View Post
Been a long time-I spent a good part of winter doing some port work on the 243s. Nothing crazy just getting rid of rocker stud lump, swirl ramps and cleaning up the bowl well, as well as narrowing down the guides. I just got done lapping valves and hope to have heads on this weekend. Question-I need to measure for new pushrods. I took some old lifters apart but cant seem to get anything to go in them to make them solid. When I hold them in my hand I cant compress them. Should old lifters be like this? Will they compress when torquing the rocker bolts?

Also got updated LS gaskets from ws6 store. Does anyone have an idea of common around the shop items that could act as a mock gasket (compressed) in order to take the pushrod measurement?
I took apart a couple LS7 lifters and used small washers and shim stock to make them solids. Great for checking pushrod length. I also use .030 valve spring shims to mock up my head gaskets during this step, and to check for PTV. They are thick enough to keep the pistons away from my heads, and are absolutely accurate dimensionally. The shims have a hole through the center, which fits perfectly around the deck dowels, and head bolts. I use 4 around the cylinder Im checking, and put two at the other end of the head to keep everything level. Just hand snug the head bolts when using the steel valve spring shims. They will hurt the head or block surface, due to their hardness, if you over tighten. Snug is all you need here. They are .030, so do some math to figure the rest of the distance, which makes it more fun for me, since Im a math nerd.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Teching In

I am using 12498544, everything I read say they are .053-.056 thick.... is your .030 for these gaskets?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

OP, I just did a full rebuild on a LS1 with a spun bearing a few years back. I wanted the same thing as you for the most part drive-ability wise, and having good low end torque. The things I learned from my first build were that compression is your friend for those items. My first build made 435rwhp 401tq with a TSP 231/234 .643 .598 camshaft and hand ported 243s, pacesetter 1 3/4 headers, FAST 92mm .040 Costmetic Head Gaskets for 10.7 compression but didn't have near the amount of low end torque as my new build, and the drive-ability wasn't very good (shitty tuner). My new build is as follows and made 442rwhp 405tq with a smaller cam and non-ported 243s and I self tuned it with hp tuners for the most part to have fantastic mannerisms.

- Self Rebuilt SBE LS1 (Stock rods and pistons)

- BTR Stage II Cam (227/234 .613 .576)

- Stock valve, stock port 243 heads milled .030 for 11.4 compression

- FAST 92mm

- TSP 1 7/8 longtubes

- Powerbond 25% UD Pulley

- Hooker Blackheart True Duals

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want some more details - I had a build thread, but all the pics got lost through the photo bucket stuff. I have a couple dyno vids, PTV measurements, etc.

Good Luck man!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Petemw01 View Post
I am using 12498544, everything I read say they are .053-.056 thick.... is your .030 for these gaskets?
The .030 number is for any headgasket. If your compressed thickness of your headgasket is .053, then add .023 to the dimension of your pushrod. If your headgasket is .040 compressed, add .010 to the number, etc...
I use these for finding ptv as well. 99% of the time, LS builds will have a piston setup that sticks up above the deck, so utilizing a spacer setup like this is necessary. Again, the valve spring shims are dead-on exactly .030...they make tons of other sizes as well...so I use them to give me exact numbers.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: