Old 12-13-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 6.0 price tag worth it ? Truck LS turbo drag build

I'm looking to build a truck LS based
drag engine .
Goal is to be able to crank it up (psi) to 1000hp
So I'm wondering if I should go 6.0
or does the much cheaper 5.3 will do it.

I have a LS6 Top end (heads and intake) I would like to use.
a efficient turbo like a s480 for example...
forged rods and a turbo cam.
are you guys running the stock pistons and increase the ring gap? Or should I go forged pistons right away.
can HP tube get me to this or should i invest in a holley efi.
want a setup that flat out works..
And can be tuned from 600hp "daily" to 1000 full on track.
Car is a 2800-3000lbs tube chassis 68 camaro.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Most will tell you to stick to the 5.3 because they have more meat in the cylinders. Plenty have pushed them to 1,000hp with the stock bottom end. My personal opinion is that if you can afford to go with forged rods and pistons then do it.
The nice thing about running a turbo is the fact that you can easily control boost. Turn it down for the street and back up while at the track.
As far as what computer you choose to run, Stock will work but you'll also have to consider how much you'll have into it after you pay for the harness and tuning software the cost to have it tuned if you don't want to tackle it yourself. Then you need a wide band and you'll need gauges, I went with the Holley system because after adding everything up the Holley was a few hundred more but also does much more than the stock ecu is capable of doing.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Most will tell you to stick to the 5.3 because they have more meat in the cylinders. Plenty have pushed them to 1,000hp with the stock bottom end. My personal opinion is that if you can afford to go with forged rods and pistons then do it.
The nice thing about running a turbo is the fact that you can easily control boost. Turn it down for the street and back up while at the track.
As far as what computer you choose to run, Stock will work but you'll also have to consider how much you'll have into it after you pay for the harness and tuning software the cost to have it tuned if you don't want to tackle it yourself. Then you need a wide band and you'll need gauges, I went with the Holley system because after adding everything up the Holley was a few hundred more but also does much more than the stock ecu is capable of doing.
I agree to the holley calculation.
I was thinking on at least get forged rods for the truck block since that seems to be the weakest point + I 'll gab the rings at least so im in there already.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebambam
I agree to the holley calculation.
I was thinking on at least get forged rods for the truck block since that seems to be the weakest point + I 'll gab the rings at least so im in there already.
Rods and pistons are the weak link, The crank can handle quite a bit.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a gm stock piston upgrade that helps?
any specific forged rods or pistons.
Any clearance restrictions with either?