LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   LS1 SBE build (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1912377-ls1-sbe-build.html)

C5Kevin 01-05-2019 02:40 AM

Sorry I am a bit late, but you say your current heads flow "as good as stock 243 castings," which leads me to believe you still have plenty of room for improvement. I would recommend looking into some ported 243's from Livernois. I just bought a set of Livernois Stage 1 heads for only $800 (plus $50 shipping) during their December $200 off all heads promo. Their flow numbers are pretty good, comparable to the PRC 5.3 and LS6 heads but much cheaper. Even at the full price of $1000 plus $50 shipping, I believe you can achieve around 30whp over stock 243 like heads, which meets your price per HP requirement. ($1050 ÷ 30hp = $35/1whp). They also offer "stage 2" heads for $1399, they told me the only difference is that the stage 2 come with dual valve springs already. I already have a set of BTR platinums so I went with the stage 1s. Their customer service was great as well. Sorry I didn't notice this thread a bit sooner, I maybe could have notified you in time to possibly get a set for $200 off.

Black_Diamond_WS6 01-05-2019 03:22 PM

Yeah, like I said. I don't wanna mess with the complications of swapping from 97-98 heads to later ones... And I say they flow as well, cause its awful close to better lol. In the end I would spend more like 1500-1750 to swap over to 243s... definitely not worth it when I already have ported heads that may have some left on the table even. If im going to go to ported 243s I'm probably gonna port them myself cause I am trying to do everything for cheap. My budget right now is 6k, and I only have 500 left in that at the mod list I'm looking at. Unless I get a nice fat scholarship for college, then I can spend a bit more ;)

tech@WS6store 01-05-2019 06:35 PM

We can get you everything on your original with list plus some upgrades and a comparable cam for $1776 shipped. (minus ls6 intake)
Looks like itll save you quite a bit over what you have listed, ahundred or more likely, and you will still have a great setup that is durable and dependable and will make great power.

C5Kevin 01-05-2019 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Diamond_WS6 (Post 20025892)
Yeah, like I said. I don't wanna mess with the complications of swapping from 97-98 heads to later ones... And I say they flow as well, cause its awful close to better lol. In the end I would spend more like 1500-1750 to swap over to 243s... definitely not worth it when I already have ported heads that may have some left on the table even. If im going to go to ported 243s I'm probably gonna port them myself cause I am trying to do everything for cheap. My budget right now is 6k, and I only have 500 left in that at the mod list I'm looking at. Unless I get a nice fat scholarship for college, then I can spend a bit more ;)

I definitely understand that. My plans for a "budget" cam only swap have quickly turned into a full on Heads/Cam build. I was unaware of any major difficulty swapping 806 heads with 243 style heads. I know you need the valve covers and coil pack brackets, both that can be had for cheap, and of course new head gaskets, which are about $40. The 806 rockers work on the newer style heads as well from what I know? Why do you say it would end up costing 1,500 to 1750?

Black_Diamond_WS6 01-08-2019 04:48 PM

A lot of that is in the 243s themselves

Summitracing 01-08-2019 05:10 PM

TEA big valve intakes with their bowl work, valve job, milled. They can’t help themselves other than to give you good stuff. It sounds like you are set on the cam otherwise we’d recommend a Pro Ls for power outright and hp per Dollar as a side benefit. Spring kit absolutely a great place to spend coin and don’t be afraid to turn it. Other than a set of head gaskets along with required bolts....not much else is going to maximize your dollar. Summit’’s Trunnions (bearing or bushing) are second to none and usually superior, but how sloppy are the factories? Lose anybody’s wires unless your factories are damaged when on a budget. Widebands same way. Test on someone’s dyno and use theirs...you’ll make more and find issues before they cause breakage. Also E-85 gains are going to leave you disappointed, so you may want to factor that into your calculation

Black_Diamond_WS6 01-09-2019 11:25 PM

I'm not expecting to gain like 20 percent or anything. Really don't expect to gain a ton. I just love the sound of an E85 engine at start up, among other things.