Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Cam Choice

Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
Well, there ya go! It should always be about the combination. A good set of heads and a cam to let them breath properly. Or put another way, a good cam and a set of heads that let it work to its potential. Only when the combo is right do BOTH statements make total sense.
I'm certainly a believer in that. I actually went through stages of modification to test things out and get a feel for the changes. I just so happened to get the performance to meet my needs with my first H/C combo. It was just select characteristics I didn't like.

As long as I choose a cam with new lobes I think I will be all good based on my experience with my current Cam Motion cam. Right now since I now have been corrected on the spec of my original cam, I think I will just get similar on new lobes as the Comp XE XFI is quite aggressive. I imagine I will lose some with out those fast ramp rates but its a worthwhile trade off for a quiet engine.

I'm looking at a Cam Motion 214/218 .600/.587 112+4. Way too small I'm sure people will say but cams around that size are a known quantity to me and worked well for my needs in other cars too. A mate of mine said I should go the trusty 212/218 .600/.600 112 from TSP, he swears by it and its interesting that trusted poster, JakeFusion, rates their lobes too.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has the ws6store hotcam been mentioned? Or any of the summit ones? With Mavns post going on im sure someone mentioned them.

I drove my hotcam car to work today. Rolling forward with my foot on the brake gives me some hiccups but im betting thats the mail order tune. Good manners on the street and doesnt really leave me wishing I went bigger.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Has the ws6store hotcam been mentioned? Or any of the summit ones? With Mavns post going on im sure someone mentioned them.

I drove my hotcam car to work today. Rolling forward with my foot on the brake gives me some hiccups but im betting thats the mail order tune. Good manners on the street and doesnt really leave me wishing I went bigger.
Iíve been following this thread and I donít think Iíve seen HL hot cam. Could probably work well for the OP.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, these cams were recommended earlier in the thread but the HotCam is basically what I have in there now, just with 112+2 LSA. While it would be an improvement in low down performance, I don't think it will deliver what I want. I think its a similar case for the Summit Cam. Great cams no doubt but what I am chasing is a bit different.

I'm actually still blown away that I went for so many years thinking I had a 216/220 .6**/.6** 112+0 cam when I had something smaller! The 216/220 was what I paid for but they gave me something different. Years after whenever I asked they told me I had that cam, I honestly think they believe that's what it was. They said the lift was a bit over the .600 on both intake and exhaust thus I used to say .6**/.6**. I always thought I had this:

Intake

Series: XTREME ENERGY XFI Int
Lobe#: 3006
@.050: 216
Lift @ 1.7: .602

Exhaust:

Series: XTREME ENERGY XFI Exh
Lobe#: 3007
@.050: 220
Lift @ 1.7: .607

It basically matched what they told me. Still, its funny that they ended up delivering more than I would have expected from such a small cam as back in the day I got great results out of this combo, both dyno and track. It surprised many people as the car was so unassuming other than if you recognised the noisy valvetrain. Yet a combo that the internet would have you believe was garbage If I can recreate that (even though its not impressive these days) with a quiet valvetrain and no surging, I will be happy as it suits how I use the car.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulse Red View Post

I'm actually still blown away that I went for so many years thinking I had a 216/220 .6**/.6** 112+0 cam when I had something smaller! The 216/220 was what I paid for but they gave me something different.
Its not much different man, a few degrees is not gonna be night and day difference especially if the ramp rate is alittle more aggressive on the smaller duration cam.
Ill just say it, get a big boy cam/good tune and stop overthinking it!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pulse Red View Post
If I can recreate that (even though its not impressive these days) with a quiet valvetrain and no surging, I will be happy as it suits how I use the car.
Thats actually what the ws6store hotcam was designed to do, plus add about 10RWHP over the GM hotcam. My valvetrain is quieter then stock with the cam and its .600/.600. The ws6store ASA cam is also good.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stockA4 View Post
I wanted to pick up everywhere with my LS1 so I left the stock 241 heads on it and went with a 218/224 113+3 and my 60ft times improved with the stock stall. With aftermarket 10" stall car is a certifiable rocket with perfect year round reliability. OP has a heavy gto though, Maybe op just needs to get an automatic?

Seriously though I stand by my recommendation. Something like a little single 216/216 110 lsa minus 1 or 2 degrees to get the DCR where it needs to be and it should make a lot of grunt with a free flowing exhaust. He needs no more duration than the first cam had and the same or a little more overlap to get back what he lost.
​​​​​​Look at that redpulse, my original recommendation was the same cam you really had in there, just 2 degrees tighter on the LSA for more grunt, maybe retarded a degree or two to get the DCR perfect with no advance. I still stand by my recommendation. You need those events at 0.050 on whatever lobes you want. I just run ls6 springs on soft friendly lobes though cuz all my stuff needs to be OEM reliable.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado View Post
Its not much different man, a few degrees is not gonna be night and day difference especially if the ramp rate is alittle more aggressive on the smaller duration cam.
Ill just say it, get a big boy cam/good tune and stop overthinking it!
Ummm, that thinking is how I ended up with the wrong cam in it right now and am changing it again so I'll pass on that advice thanks
Old 02-08-2019, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

​​​​​​Look at that redpulse, my original recommendation was the same cam you really had in there, just 2 degrees tighter on the LSA for more grunt, maybe retarded a degree or two to get the DCR perfect with no advance. I still stand by my recommendation. You need those events at 0.050 on whatever lobes you want. I just run ls6 springs on soft friendly lobes though cuz all my stuff needs to be OEM reliable.
Yep, you were damn close. Excellent recommendation! So I'm definitely going close to this no matter what people say, it's the right style cam I believe. The 214/218 cam I list here is from Cam Motion so I have faith in the choice too.

Although Interestingly the local manufacturer who did the cam report has nearly the exact same cam you recommend on their shelf. 216/216 .600/.598 112. They could custom grind it to 110 I'm sure. Would there be a big difference between that and Cam Motions recommendation you think?

I think based on the lobes in my current 218/226 cam motion cam I will be happy. With those lobes and basically the same lift on the new cam I should be ok to keep my 1218 PAC springs as they are rated to .600 so right on it. That's right isn't it? Or am I still worth going to a double spring for piece of mind at that lift?

I'll get the installer to measure but the Manley push rods should be ok too. I'm going to run all this by the new shop and get their opinion and then order the cam.

Last edited by Pulse Red; 02-08-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I still think a reverse split will give you eye watering torque down low.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post
I still think a reverse split will give you eye watering torque down low.
I thank you again for this recommendation, I gave it a lot of thought and did some research. However when I got the revised cam specs for my previous cam I decided just to try and match that as its a known quantity. I know that cam delivers enough low down performance and decent mid range and I was happy with the performance side of it. It doesn't have the top end of these bigger cams but the car is heavy and Manual, I no longer race it and live in a built up part of a large city, I never use top end. So I was just going to go with the Cam Tech recommendation. Do you think its a mistake?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

214/218 110+2. That's my final offer lol
Old 02-11-2019, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

214/218 110+2. That's my final offer lol
Hahaha! Well worthy of consideration I would have thought although I am aware of the reduction in overlap there.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

I know your looking for off idle power and torque, but damn 35/41 ivc/evo isnt that too low? I would bump it to a 40/47 while keeping similar overlap which is negative 4.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Public Enemy View Post
I know your looking for off idle power and torque, but damn 35/41 ivc/evo isnt that too low? I would bump it to a 40/47 while keeping similar overlap which is negative 4.
Nope, not too low. I had 35/44 with -8.5 overlap before and it worked well. I have 41 IVC on the cam in there now and that is one of the things holding it back from delivering what I want as IVC has a large affect on low down performance.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

I'm still waiting for my shop to get back to me about the chosen cam as discussed above but purely for my own interest, I was reading more about the Summit SUM-8715 cam that Mavn used. I looked at the events for it and the cam that's in my car now. I'm curious to see if any of the experts want to comment on where his cam excels and mine falls over. Keeping in mind that they were designed for different things (thus the huge difference in overlap) so its not a shot at the current cam, I'm just looking to learn more.

Cams:

Mavn: 222/233 115+3 .600/.575
Mine: 218/226 116+4 .595/.587

Events:

Mavn: IVO = -1.0, IVC = 43, ICL = 112, EVO = 54.5, EVC = -1.5, ECL = 118, OVERLAP = -2.5
Mine: IVO = -3.0, IVC = 41, ICL = 112, EVO = 53.0, EVC = -7.0, ECL = 120, OVERLAP = -10

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: