Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400 WHP daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

BTW - Hooker makes a BlackHeart Shorty Header that's is CARB approved for LS1 4th Gen's that has 1 3/4 inch primary which is bigger than the JBA 1 5/8 shorty header primary.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Plug changes look fun with those.... well that one side anyways, can’t see those making much power over factory manifolds though
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by INFERNY
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll follow the bolt on route. It's a shame California has such stringent emission laws
Why so against doing heads?

You were all for doing a cam and wanted to retain driveability and pass smog etc, heads will get you there but a cam won't. But you're avoiding heads like the plague. They're not any harder than a cam swap, honestly I'd rather do heads than a cam swap and I've done both. The heads will do everything you wanted and a cam won't..
Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If I was going the legal route I'd plan on going with this.

With CARB shorties, ported stock heads and it should net well over 400+ hp daily street power.
https://www.procharger.com/automotiv...rd-street-kits
Old 02-17-2019, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Why so against doing heads?

You were all for doing a cam and wanted to retain driveability and pass smog etc, heads will get you there but a cam won't. But you're avoiding heads like the plague. They're not any harder than a cam swap, honestly I'd rather do heads than a cam swap and I've done both. The heads will do everything you wanted and a cam won't..

I was exploring my options and it seems that heads are one of the most efficient ways of getting where I wanna be. I was under the assumption that a cam with the necessary supporting mods would be enough, but it is now clear to me that there is more to it than just throwing in a cam and calling it a day.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 216 Likes on 162 Posts

What about the Torquer V1/V2 cams? I've read that they make decent power that's usable in a lower range unlike the MS3/MS4 cams
I daily mine with a Torquer V2. Streetability is great and it's tons of fun. It made 413 whp, however, every dyno reads differently, so numbers aren't everything by any means. I have a feeling it wouldn't pass smog though.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Very true on dynos. So what kinda times did it run?

Because the object is really to get better acceleration......not which cam, heads or how much it dyno'd.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up 400 hp!

I only want 400 also. What do you think, will i come close with lq9 with a truck cam, 216/220-550 lsa114. Gonna mill my 317`s 30 k and put a tbss on em. All this for fun and an education, lol.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I was exploring my options and it seems that heads are one of the most efficient ways of getting where I wanna be. I was under the assumption that a cam with the necessary supporting mods would be enough, but it is now clear to me that there is more to it than just throwing in a cam and calling it a day.
Oh okay, gotcha.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

Because the object is really to get better acceleration......not which cam, heads or how much it dyno'd.
Exactly

OP, if you want to go faster, there's a lot of ways to do it. Many of which won't cause you to fail inspections either. Unfortunately the cam is going to be the worst option you have here. Hio has made a lot more power than I have with a stock long block car, but I used to bust cammed car in my full weight stock long block (stock heads, cam, etc) car. It's all about making everything work to it's potential through a well put together/matching simple setup.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a bunch of results from a google search...
Originally Posted by jason 98 ta
we've had the tsp 224r camshaft on a 114+4 pass smog in cali before. I think that's getting to be the limit though..
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=166&catid=44
Originally Posted by martin smallwood
my rule of thumb for passing smog with a ls1 is not to exceed -5 degrees of overlap @.050.
I have had several customers run a 224/224 115+2 that works really well with stock exhaust manifolds and passes smog.
Originally Posted by jtelesone
hey man im out here in ca too. My roomate passed smog (sniffer not visual) in his frc. He had a 224/224 and made 447rwhp with lt's, fast 90/90, ported ls6 heads, a pulley, and a really good tuner. The fast is a dead giveaway for visual but without if your not gonna have that all you gotta do is just keep the stock exhaust and swap it back on when you have to smog and do a lil retune. (that is if you cant find someone to "help" you out). Thats all you gotta worry about since the heads look stock, and youll never see the pulley.
LS6 heads would not be an option if you want to keep it 100% legal, but those AI ported 241 heads with welded chambers mentioned above, or AFR 210 heads would get you to your goal.​​​​​
Originally Posted by 99 black bird t/a
back in 2000-2001 in the local fbody club we had someone try to make 400 whp with the stock manifolds and cats. With a 216/220 cam, more performance stage 2 heads, under drive pulley, ls6 intake, cut out and other supporting mods the car made 360-365 rwhp.
Passing the sniffer test was required so cam size was limited. This was before ls1 edit software was popular and the pcm tuning wasn't as refined as today. There weren't any electric water pumps or affordable roller rockers either. He was stuck with the stainless steel exhaust manifolds which don't flow as well generally as the cast iron ones from 2000 up.​​​​
Originally Posted by nobreaks254
my vette made 397 with 220/224 cam, afr 205 heads and factory stock exhaust.
Originally Posted by patrick g
this was a very cool project. Ray pesek from port o'connor texas has a gorgeous 1937 ford business coupe that he put a bone stock '99 ls1 in. I tuned it and it made 332rwhp/347rwtq. Ray decided he wanted more power, but he didn't want to spend too much and he had to keep the factory exhaust manifolds.
With help from geoff from engine power systems, we formulated a budget sleeper approach. We would add bone stock 243 heads (unported and unmilled), add comp 918 beehive springs, swap the ls1 intake for an ls6 intake and make a custom cam using engine power systems custom eps lobes. These lobes have been making incredible power with beehive springs. The way this motor revs is a thing of beauty. Cam specs are 218/230 .595"/.600" 115lsa +4 advance. The new power was 403rwhp/392rwtq. A gain of 71rwhp and 45 rwtq.
Again, sub ported 241's or AFR's for the 243 heads...
Originally Posted by predator-z
from personal experience, (-6) overlap passes in cali if installed properly. (-4>-2) will pass but is more tune dependent.
The size of the intake valve is not relative and that issue is tune related.
Originally Posted by predator-z
218/226 .605/.585 114+2 lsa
-6* overlap, should pass with no issues.
Originally Posted by darkman
patrickg specified my cam.
Because i wanted a cam that worked with stock exhaust manifolds as opposed to headers it is relatively mild (218/230, 600 lift) and is on eps lobes. It was originally installed with stock heads and stock rockers with the usual supporting mods (push rods, timing chain, dual valve springs). Later i went to trick flow heads with different push rods, jesel rockers and a fast 102 intake (which is known to amplify valvertrain noise). Neither of these setups exhibit any significant valvertrain noise. So i have no reason to conclude that cams with eps lobes are inherently noisy. They are known for being easy on other valve train components.
In any event patrickg specs cams on other lobes and can be reached here:
http://www.guerragroup.com/motorsports.htm
Originally Posted by darkman
my setup put down 407rwhp/393rwtq on a mustang dyno. It is in cts-v, which has 19+% parasitic driveline loss. I am running random tech cats, which retain the stock location. I do not know whether it would pass the ca smog test.
This last poster was from Texas, which is why he would not know if his setup passed smog in CA. It's just another example of a well refined setup with stock exhaust that makes the numbers you are looking for.

Good luck with your build!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

Go even further... one of the main benefits of a cam is extending rpm range. Lots of cars in here and elsewhere cammed but not revved. Counter-productive.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The absolute best bang for the buck that can be finished up in a weekend with no chance of an emmissions fiasco is 4.11 gears and a 150 shot.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Go even further... one of the main benefits of a cam is extending rpm range. Lots of cars in here and elsewhere cammed but not revved. Counter-productive.
Troof
Originally Posted by '68LT1camaro
The absolute best bang for the buck that can be finished up in a weekend with no chance of an emmissions fiasco is 4.11 gears and a 150 shot.
you would never want 4.11 and a 150 shot on these cars imo.....especially w/o extending the rpm range or running a 28" tire.

now maybe a 150 shot and 3.73/3.90 would work. A 150shot would run over top 4.10s way easy.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll want the 4.11's for the extra acceleration on the street all the time. You can easily turn down the 150 shot with a jet change and plug swap if need be.