Notices
Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flakes in oil after Cam swap

Old 02-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Default Flakes in oil after Cam swap

last year I bought a 99 ls1 f body with 68k. I put about 3k miles on it and changed the oil once . Canít remember exactly but I didnít notice anything wrong with the oil. A few months ago I put a tsp cam kit in the car . It sat for awhile and only got driven 100 miles so I just changed the oil. The oil is flakey and flakes were on the drain plug . Small flakes in the filter as well no pieces anywhere . Oil pressure is also perfect . Iím gonna change the oil in another 100 miles and see what itís like . Should I be concerned about this ??
Old 02-11-2019, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yessir. Metal flakes in the oil are never a good thing. Are the flakes in the filter magnetic, or no?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Post a picture if you can
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Yessir. Metal flakes in the oil are never a good thing. Are the flakes in the filter magnetic, or no?
is there an easy way to tell? Itís really more sparkles in the oil not flakes . Obviously with a magnet but.. and I should be more specific there was not sediment in the filter simply sparkles in the oil still in the filter . Ordered a black stone kit also.
Originally Posted by 00pooterSS View Post
Will try and get it on camera when I get home. Tried earlier and couldnít but will try again .
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have an LED flashlight,, hold it by the camera pointed from about a 45 degree angle to the oil, I find for engine pics a steady light source works better than letting the camera flash do its thing..
Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Had to zoom in quite a bit but it did show up.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

oil pressure hasn't dropped? You didn't put new lifters in with the cam swap right?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
oil pressure hasn't dropped? You didn't put new lifters in with the cam swap right?
nope oil pressure is great and correct cam, springs and pushrods only.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Restricted User

Remove the valley cover and get a look at the cam lobes to check for abnormal wear.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

That's really small flakes. I'd also be curious about the cam lobes
Old 02-12-2019, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Before you do anything see what they are? Metallic or copper etc. will give you some idea whats going on. I had a piston shredding aluminum into the oil looked just like this so you never know.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova View Post
Remove the valley cover and get a look at the cam lobes to check for abnormal wear.
That's really small flakes. I'd also be curious about the cam lobes
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
Before you do anything see what they are? Metallic or copper etc. will give you some idea whats going on. I had a piston shredding aluminum into the oil looked just like this so you never know.
Thanks for the advice guys, gonna go ahead and run it for a bit sometime this week and drain the oil again. If itís still flakey I will check the cam and valvetrain etc. will definitely update here whenever I find something! Iím not convinced itís bearings.. I think the oil sample test will help me a lot in finding out what it is .

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: