LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   Mods on my 2004 goat (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1915237-mods-my-2004-goat.html)

Bigblack1990 02-14-2019 06:30 AM

Mods on my 2004 goat

My goat had a 100 thousand miles on it so i decided to pull motor and do some upgrades. Kooks long tubes trick flow gen x 225 cnc65cc heads comp cam xfi kit .522/.529 lift 114 lobe sep. Comes with lifters and springs.spec stage 3 clutch, new slave and throwout, new motor mounts and trans mount hinson 1 piece drive shaft arp head and main studs, so far! Wondering if i should get new rockers or any other valve train parts? Also had some minor machine work done to clean block up.any ideas?

G Atsma 02-14-2019 11:44 AM

Ideas for what?? And what's the cam duration? That's more important than lift.
You did heads, cam and headers as far as power mods. And no idea which cam except for lift and LSA.

BlwnLs1GTO 02-14-2019 11:54 AM

Well,
I'd go a tad bigger on that cam, unless you're in CA. As well as some good, Trend/Manton 11/32nd Pushrods. Let those heads breath a little!
Get some Bushing replacements for your rockers. Not the needle bearings. That's one of those, "while you're in there' things that should be done.
If you suffer from the dreaded wheel hop, or if you don't, you might afterwards, look into the GForce or Driveshaft Shop axles. Some 4.10 gears will wake it up some, too.

Or,
get a new D1SC kit and forget everything else and have a long running, reliable, badass machine :)

I drove my GTO for 28k miles with that setup on a bone stock engine and never had a single issue other than the need to go faster lol.

Bigblack1990 02-14-2019 12:12 PM

212 / 218 .522/.529 114 ls. Thanx for the info on push rods and rockers. Was not sure if oem ones would work. But like you said while im in there! Rear end work will be next winter. Was wondering what a bigger throttle body might add also and if its worth it?

Pulse Red 02-14-2019 12:59 PM

Especially with heads, I would get more lift and less LSA in that cam. It's very similar to the cam being discussed for my 04 Monaro (a GTO in Australia) in the street cam thread further down this Sub Forum. My experience suggests to me it's a good style cam for these heavy cars when used with a manual transmission.

If racing it at the track is your priority you may want to choose a bigger cam though. I did take mine to the track still and was happy with the results for what it was.

I run a brass Trunion upgrade in my car, seems good. I use Manley pushrods.

BlwnLs1GTO 02-14-2019 01:13 PM

Did you chose these parts yourself?

If so,
I'd get with one of the sponsors here and let them piece together a proven combo. For example, those trick flow heads out of the box are 65cc. Your stock compression is only 10:1 and those heads are only 2cc smaller than your 241's.
With the amount of money you're about to invest, it would be a very good idea to let someone else put together this combo for you. More compression, better "Street Cam" for higher compression and RPM with a proven valve train setup.

Know what I mean? it's fun to chose your parts and build it the way you want, I've done it a couple of times. But there's a million ways to do it and those who know how to DO IT!

Good luck! It will be a whole new monster when you're done!

BCNUL8R 02-14-2019 01:43 PM

Is there boost in your future?