Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning My LQ4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning My LQ4 Build

Hi all, I'm new to the LS world but I've built SBC engines in the past with good results. I've just bought a 2005 3500 van with an LQ4 that I am planning to swap into my C3 Corvette and I am trying to plan my build. My ultimate goal will be to put down somewhere around 750hp to 1000hp to the rear wheels (though the stock rear end will be long gone by then). Like most folks though I am on a budget and my plan is to stage my build so I really want to make sure my early improvements don't interfere with the later upgrades. To make a well mannered 750hp I will eventually be installing either turbos or more likely an LSA or similar supercharger and my main question focuses on compression ratio and making horsepower while planning for future power adders. Obviously if I were going NA I would want as high a static compression ratio as I dared run on pump gas in order to make a more efficient engine but since I will eventually end up with forced induction I want to plan my compression ratio with that in mind. So how much NA horse power can you make with a 9.5 or so compression ratio? Would it be beneficial to build a slightly higher compression ratio engine (maybe 10.0-10.5 to 1) now and when I add the power adder, swap the cam out and control my dynamic compression ratio with the cam vs focusing on static compression?

I'm new to boost so any pointers you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tom