Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 piston/rod orientation.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 piston/rod orientation.

Hey guys. New member/ first post. Looking for clarification on piston and rod orientation in a 2003 LQ4. Stock pistons, stock rods, I am aware all dots face forward on the pistons but that would mean all the rods face the same way as well. Putting the large chamfer on the big end of the rod only facing the crank counterweight every other rod. Everything was labeled during disassembly. I’ll include photos of the current state...

Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Welcome to LS1Tech! This subject has been covered and re-covered many times here. Basically with the Oem LS crank, it doesn’t matter which way the rod faces on the journal because there is no radius on the crank to matter. Rods have purposely been assembled both ways to show this. Personally I face the large flats on the rods big end toward each other, but it’s just a matter of preference really. Make sure your pistons are oriented correctly and your golden.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Now that I’ve become a member I have found a few threads on this. These are the press pin rods and they have never been taken apart. I kept all the piston dots forward which means all the rods are running the same direction as well, putting the large chamfers all facing the same direction. From what I’ve read this should all work out. Time will tell
Old 04-30-2019, 09:14 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdoran06
Thanks for your reply. Now that I’ve become a member I have found a few threads on this. These are the press pin rods and they have never been taken apart. I kept all the piston dots forward which means all the rods are running the same direction as well, putting the large chamfers all facing the same direction. From what I’ve read this should all work out. Time will tell
You are fine. I’ve faced all the dots forward as well myself, in the past without issue.