Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpeedWorks/ Wilkes heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Had they given a true estimate and not said a week there is no issue. If they say a week and then refuse to answer your number after a week that's just stupid and no amount of arguing makes anything you say the right move. Don't have the time to talk to a customer that's past due then you don't have the time to take on new customers, it's pretty much common sense.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by WIKD_1LE
How would you feel if you were told your work would be done in a week or less and then received no communication and had your calls ignored? Did you read that part? Are you trying to excuse that behavior? Would you lie to a client to get their business and then give them the runaround when they ask questions?
the constant calls(already banned on 4 phone numbers in 2 weeks) will cause delays
Old 12-23-2023, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
the constant calls(already banned on 4 phone numbers in 2 weeks) will cause delays
I called 4 times total, 3 times asking when they'd be done, 1 time saying I would like to get the heads whether they were done or not. That was over the course of 15 days.

I went to see them in person after they rudely told me to "come get them" and they seems surprised that I was there before anyone got to the shop. They told me they would probably be done by the end of the day and I told them "probably" wasn't good enough at this point, and that I needed a hard date/time. They said they will 100% be done by the end of the day and I could come back at close to get them or the next morning. I went back the next morning and they were packaging them up for me. It looks like they did a good job, but I don't really know what to look for to tell.

I can understand shops being behind. What spoiled it for me here was that they initially said 1 week turnaround, then proceeded to try to ghost me at every turn after asking when they would be done. They never ONCE reached out to me to let me know of any delay, and evidence really does point to them trying to actively dodge my calls.

But, I got my heads back complete, so its all water under the bridge. They just need to work on their customer service.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:36 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,219 Posts

2 things I’ve learned in life lessons…

1. Do not rush your painter. He/she will be done when it’s done. Let them have their freedom to go the extra mile to give you the best job possible.
2. Do not rush your machinist/engine builder. They will call you when it’s done. Haggling calls to ask if it’s done yet, only slow them down and it gives them a sense of non-trust from you. Let them finish the job. Believe me here, they will call you as soon as it’s finished up. They don’t want your stuff stacked up in their way.
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
1FastBrick (12-26-2023), G Atsma (12-23-2023), RMCosta (12-28-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,176 Likes on 2,481 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
2 things I’ve learned in life lessons…

1. Do not rush your painter. He/she will be done when it’s done. Let them have their freedom to go the extra mile to give you the best job possible.
2. Do not rush your machinist/engine builder. They will call you when it’s done. Haggling calls to ask if it’s done yet, only slow them down and it gives them a sense of non-trust from you. Let them finish the job. Believe me here, they will call you as soon as it’s finished up. They don’t want your stuff stacked up in their way.
For both 1 and 2, you are correct, IF they don't promise a completion date.
IF someone says they'll be done in a week, I'd tend to at least want a reason why it isn't done within the promised time. OP wasn't given that. The ball got dropped right then.
IF NO completion date is established, then it's as you state, wait for the call that it's done.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
For both 1 and 2, you are correct, IF they don't promise a completion date.
IF someone says they'll be done in a week, I'd tend to at least want a reason why it isn't done within the promised time. OP wasn't given that. The ball got dropped right then.
IF NO completion date is established, then it's as you state, wait for the call that it's done.
Yeah, they didn’t even call me when they were done. and I’m sorry, but if you tell me 1 week, it is your responsibility to either make it happen in 1 week, or let me know if it will take longer. If you fail to inform me it will take longer, then you have no right to be upset when I call asking what the situation is.
The following 2 users liked this post by WIKD_1LE:
G Atsma (12-23-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 852 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Being honest upfront about the workload & lead time would probably be the best policy though. It also looks fishy when they answer calls from a number that they don’t recognize when they won’t answer one they know is a customer looking for updates.
Every shop has things that go wrong. You acting like a child didn't help the situation. You're the first person I've seen blast Terry.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 238 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Every shop has things that go wrong. You acting like a child didn't help the situation. You're the first person I've seen blast Terry.
That is true. Every shop has something that goes wrong. But keeping the lines of communication open can go a long way.
Once upon a time I was looking into mailing my ECU to a guy to have it tuned but the guy never responded to any emails or anything prior to me sending it off. So I was like nah, I’m not dealing with that guy. Everyone on the forum was like it’s ok, doesn’t respond to emails he’s way too busy, just send it in. Well I’m glad I didn’t send it in because not long after that there was a forum thread about a guy that sent his in and the tuner went “missing” along with people’s computers.
A week isn’t a long wait for work but I shop should know better to promise a week when they know they’re two weeks out. Hotrod shops need to realize that they need the customer more than the customer needs the hotrod shop. If the shop goes under the customer would still be able to pay their bills. One can’t say the same about the shop owner and employees.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 03:33 PM
Teching In

please delineate how I acted like a child. Merry Christmas everyone!
The following 2 users liked this post by WIKD_1LE:
Abs (05-08-2024), G Atsma (12-25-2023)
Old 12-25-2023, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 852 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by WIKD_1LE
please delineate how I acted like a child. Merry Christmas everyone!
You made a thread and complained about something not being done in a week. Stuff happens. I don't know why Terry didn't get back to you but if he blocked you 4 times, I'm guessing you really aggravated him. Maybe you didn't intend to do so but you come off as impatient in this thread.
CattleAc (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 01:10 PM
Teching In

You made a thread and complained about something not being done in a week. Stuff happens. I don't know why Terry didn't get back to you but if he blocked you 4 times, I'm guessing you really aggravated him. Maybe you didn't intend to do so but you come off as impatient in this thread.
I guess I don't understand how expecting something to be done in the promised time frame comes off as impatient. I also don't understand how calling 4 times in 2 weeks could aggravate somebody, especially since I was respectful for the first 3 calls. You can't use the excuse "stuff happens" as a reason that you can take extra time on a job. In my line of work, if you are even 5 minutes late, you are going to have your *** chewed out. A week late and you can say goodbye to your job.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:30 PM
ModSquad

I’ve summoned Terry to pop in here and tell us his side of the story. Stay tuned…
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
CattleAc (12-26-2023), wannafbody (12-26-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 238 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I’ve summoned Terry to pop in here and tell us his side of the story. Stay tuned…
If he responds to a forum thread and not phone calls from a customer wouldn’t that make him look worse?
Old 12-27-2023, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

There are two sides to every story....with that being said I've found communication is key whether it is business or friendships.
I've never heard of anybody complain about over communication.
The following 2 users liked this post by MySons68C20:
G Atsma (12-27-2023), Y2K_Frenzy (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MySons68C20
There are two sides to every story....with that being said I've found communication is key whether it is business or friendships.
I've never heard of anybody complain about over communication.
If anyone here doesn’t believe me, I understand. Why would you trust a stranger over someone who has ANY sort of reputation. But also, why would I make a post complaining about a very specific issue if it were not true? What would I stand to gain. I DID get my heads back, and they do appear to have done a good job. Which I stated in another reply above. So anything at this point is water under the bridge. I still think Wilkes performance needs to work on their communication, but I do not doubt the quality of their work.
Abs (05-08-2024)
Old 12-27-2023, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

I’ve dealt with similar things before being on both sides of the deal as a small business owner myself. When waiting on parts for my engine build. I was told a timeframe and as that time was closing in. I received emails or a phone call. Stating that components were still back ordered with a option to get a refund. Told them I understand and appreciated the update and would wait for the parts.
I’ve had people call me a few times for HVAC equipment and parts. That was back ordered after telling them things are coming in slowly from manufacturers in 2020-2021. A couple people were upset and blamed me. Calling multiple times per day. They asked why the manufacturers weren’t sending the parts. One person I told to call China and ask them, then blocked his number. Most where understanding that things got behind. One thing I make sure to do was send out text messages letting them know if a part was arriving later then expected.
The following 2 users liked this post by jasons69chevelle:
G Atsma (12-27-2023), wannafbody (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jasons69chevelle
I’ve dealt with similar things before being on both sides of the deal as a small business owner myself. When waiting on parts for my engine build. I was told a timeframe and as that time was closing in. I received emails or a phone call. Stating that components were still back ordered with a option to get a refund. Told them I understand and appreciated the update and would wait for the parts.
I’ve had people call me a few times for HVAC equipment and parts. That was back ordered after telling them things are coming in slowly from manufacturers in 2020-2021. A couple people were upset and blamed me. Calling multiple times per day. They asked why the manufacturers weren’t sending the parts. One person I told to call China and ask them, then blocked his number. Most where understanding that things got behind. One thing I make sure to do was send out text messages letting them know if a part was arriving later then expected.
The difference with my experience is that Wilkes was very reluctant to answer my calls, and they never once initiated contact with me.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:37 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
If he responds to a forum thread and not phone calls from a customer wouldn’t that make him look worse?
I’m sure everyone here would like to hear his side of “why” the calls got ignored. I don’t think him giving his side of this would make him look worse at all. There’s a reason behind every action.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (12-28-2023), MySons68C20 (12-28-2023)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I was able to get back my lost funds from investment broker

I like cars…

Last edited by Che70velle; 05-08-2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,176 Likes on 2,481 Posts

MODS!!! Kick this TROLL outta here!!
grubinski (05-08-2024)

Quick Reply: SpeedWorks/ Wilkes heads