Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpeedWorks/ Wilkes heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SpeedWorks/ Wilkes heads

Any one have any info on 243/799 cnc ported by SpeedWorks by Wilkes Performance? They are new on EBay at $1450 for a pair & the price seems good but I don’t want to buy them blind.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know Terry wilkes had a hand in the early PRC stuff
Old 10-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

I see they are located in Alexander City , Alabama, is that where Terry Wilkes is at?
Old 10-05-2019, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Terry wilkes is in rainbow city Alabama.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I found his Facebook and for his phone#. Will call Monday it looks like it’s his, on his site it says $50 less than Ebay so it must for shipping. I wanted to know what size valves they use.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 852 Likes on 653 Posts

The pics of his heads look nice.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me at 256-504-4685. I have my own company now, Wilkes Performance on Facebook. I will answer or help you anyway possible. We have heads, cams, spring kits, ect.... Brad @ speedworks is a top notch guy. Speedworks is a dealer.

Last edited by TVWilkes; 10-06-2019 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
n2xlr8n66 (06-21-2021)
Old 03-22-2022, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
Call me at 256-504-4685. I have my own company now, Wilkes Performance on Facebook. I will answer or help you anyway possible. We have heads, cams, spring kits, ect.... Brad @ speedworks is a top notch guy. Speedworks is a dealer.
Been waiting 2 months on a 3-4 week order,wont respond to texts,emails or phone call,swont refund my money.He generated a shipping label to make it look like I was getting my heads and never shipped them BEWARE!
Old 03-22-2022, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MTLS
Been waiting 2 months on a 3-4 week order,wont respond to texts,emails or phone call,swont refund my money.He generated a shipping label to make it look like I was getting my heads and never shipped them BEWARE!
Hate to hear that, I only dealt with him once in 2019 but got my heads quickly & they looked great. Still in box but will be putting them on this year. Hopefully just the supply issue everybody says is happening!
Old 07-25-2022, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MTLS
I am not in the business to screw anyone. We are a 4 man shop that is super busy.
The following 2 users liked this post by TVWilkes:
JinglingBaby (07-25-2022), wannafbody (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got these heads two years ago almost and yeah it took a few weeks but that's how it goes when buying and sourcing all parts yourself from all different companies. IMO they seem to be doing good on my 5.3 243/799 heads stage 2. Stainless valves and all. I went 2cc dome pistons and 64cc chambers so I think compression is still the same. Haha I was newwww. Btw my first machine shop kept my block 4 months. Wilkes didn't do me like that. Lol
wannafbody (01-03-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wilkes Performance Run-around.

Left a pair of LS7 cylinder heads with them for new guides, exhaust valves, And resurfacing. I was told they would be done in a week or less, and everyone in the shop said it was light work. I called a week after leaving the heads with them, only to be told they had yet to do the valve seats and were not done resurfacing. At no point did they ever reach out to inform me of any delays. I tried calling them the following day and they wouldn’t answer, so I immediately used a different phone number to call them and they answered right away. In total, I have gone through 4 phone numbers that they will no longer answer. Almost 2 weeks later I call back (with a friends phone) and tell them that I would like the heads back if they aren’t done by the following day. Man on the phone said “alright come get them” and hung up. This business is either run or staffed by a complete man child who has no sense of business etiquette. I cannot fathom blocking or ignoring specific phone numbers for calling once every few days AFTER the date in which the service was supposed to be completed has passed.
Abs (05-08-2024)
Old 12-19-2023, 08:44 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,219 Posts

I’m in North Ga, about 2.5 hours away from Terry Wilkes shop. There isn’t a quality shop in the Southeast that isn’t 3 months+ behind right now. Most shops when you call simply tell you No, we can’t get to you. I’m impressed that they even took your heads in, due to workload. My shop I’ve used for years is closing down…owner is retiring. He earned it. Many, many of the old-timers who have done this for 50+ years are finally retiring. Soon there won’t be any shops left worth a poot, and the couple good ones will be a year behind. I left the industry 30+ years ago to go make money. There’s not a lot to be made in the industry unless your a really big shop turning out 100+ engines/jobs per year.
Im not saying that the lack of communication is ok…it is not ok. I’m not sure why he gave you a week timeline. I guarantee you that they are way behind. And if you pull the heads, you’ll end up with sub-par work from a quickie shop that isnt busy for a reason. My advice is just be patient, or try to find another set of heads already done right that are for sale. Yes, it sucks.
99 Black Bird T/A (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I’m in North Ga, about 2.5 hours away from Terry Wilkes shop. There isn’t a quality shop in the Southeast that isn’t 3 months+ behind right now. Most shops when you call simply tell you No, we can’t get to you. I’m impressed that they even took your heads in, due to workload. My shop I’ve used for years is closing down…owner is retiring. He earned it. Many, many of the old-timers who have done this for 50+ years are finally retiring. Soon there won’t be any shops left worth a poot, and the couple good ones will be a year behind. I left the industry 30+ years ago to go make money. There’s not a lot to be made in the industry unless your a really big shop turning out 100+ engines/jobs per year.
Im not saying that the lack of communication is ok…it is not ok. I’m not sure why he gave you a week timeline. I guarantee you that they are way behind. And if you pull the heads, you’ll end up with sub-par work from a quickie shop that isnt busy for a reason. My advice is just be patient, or try to find another set of heads already done right that are for sale. Yes, it sucks.
Absolutely no excuse for the behavior of the people at this shop. It is irresponsible and bad practice to give someone a timeline you KNOW you can't stick too, let alone ignore their calls. The only reason I went to Wilkes over a big shop like GPI was the timeframe they gave me. So from my perspective, it is malice. But the fact that the shop would dance around questions and not provide straight answers, and then block the number I had just called with is WILD to me.

Last edited by WIKD_1LE; 12-19-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Abs (05-08-2024)
Old 12-19-2023, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 342 Likes on 232 Posts

They're only two weeks behind on your job and your pantys are all twisted up...???

You don't get much machine work done or deal with busy reputable shops, do you??
The following 2 users liked this post by CattleAc:
Coy (12-20-2023), wannafbody (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CattleAc
They're only two weeks behind on your job and your pantys are all twisted up...???

You don't get much machine work done or deal with busy reputable shops, do you??
How would you feel if you were told your work would be done in a week or less and then received no communication and had your calls ignored? Did you read that part? Are you trying to excuse that behavior? Would you lie to a client to get their business and then give them the runaround when they ask questions?
Old 12-19-2023, 10:09 PM
Teching In

I have dealt PLENTY of times with shops like GPI and TSP. Name brand shops seem to have this stuff ironed out...
Old 12-20-2023, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Its one thing to be busy but answer the phone and be straight up with customers, you shouldn't have to use other numbers to get a hold of them, yet he's ready to line up more business. When calls go unanswered & messages not returned I would have gone in person and taken my stuff out unless you have no choice. What bugs the s#*t out of me is you're paying money and you have to beg these places to do the job you're paying for. My dilemma was in paint jail for 15 months then the shop tells me he didn't want to paint on the hockey stripe, so I had to put on the stencil with a buddy who helped me perfectly align the fender and door, 10 years ago.
I feel your pain.

Last edited by cula8r; 12-20-2023 at 10:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cula8r:
99 Black Bird T/A (12-20-2023), G Atsma (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 852 Likes on 653 Posts

Answering calls when working means that you don't get work done. I don't check emails until evening. People need to give small business owners a break. I've heard of some of the bigger shops telling people they are months behind and not returning phone calls.
DualQuadDave (12-22-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 238 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Answering calls when working means that you don't get work done. I don't check emails until evening. People need to give small business owners a break. I've heard of some of the bigger shops telling people they are months behind and not returning phone calls.
Being honest upfront about the workload & lead time would probably be the best policy though. It also looks fishy when they answer calls from a number that they don’t recognize when they won’t answer one they know is a customer looking for updates.
slowride (12-23-2023)

Quick Reply: SpeedWorks/ Wilkes heads