Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BTR rockers & Shaft rocker issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,104 Likes on 778 Posts

My point was, and is, they look to be heavier on the nose than OEM, and if I was going to go with a heavier nosed rocker, I'd go with a roller. I'm sure the BTR rockers are lighter than a roller nose. But that wasn't my point.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 602 Likes on 478 Posts

What’s the weight difference between OEM rocker and BTR rockers over the nose?
Old 03-09-2023, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 225 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
What’s the weight difference between OEM rocker and BTR rockers over the nose?
2.9 grams.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 225 Likes on 156 Posts

Sorry, it is actually 2.5 grams...

Which isn't going to be noticeable. What the biggest upgrade is, is the moment of inertia rising by 5g*in^2 at the trunnion.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 02EBC5Z06
So is shimming up the stand the answer they gave you?
Didn’t get a real clear answer.

I ended up putting .050 shims and the rockers now they clear and also moved the wipe to the center of the valve. No shims I was slightly off center of the valve.

BTR exchanged my V1 kit for their V2 kit. Since I received more bushings I’m going to press them into a stock rocker and see if I can get away with running the stock rockers and no shims as long as the wipe pattern stays where it should be.

Hopefully Summit will allow me to return them since they aren’t working without a shim.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a bit of an old thread I'm resurrecting, but I wanted to add to it since it flagged for me to check the rocker to retainer clearance on a similar setup. I have Texas Speed as-cast 225cc heads, with PAC 660 springs and titanium lifters, BTR shaft rockers with BTR rocker arms.

Pictures are worth quite a lot of words, but in closing I was able to measure 0.040"-0.050" of clearance between the rocker and retainer on a fully closed valve using playdough. Talking to BTR, the clearance is roughly what they'd look for. I inquired about shimming the rocker assembly if additional clearance is needed and if the wipe pattern was off, but was advised against it, at least with BTR rocker arms since wipe area of the nose is greater than stock.

In addition the clearance should only get larger as the rocker arm moves through it's travel. I have yet to check that since the heads are off the block and I need to get correct push rods.

Old 07-24-2024, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA1
This is a bit of an old thread I'm resurrecting, but I wanted to add to it since it flagged for me to check the rocker to retainer clearance on a similar setup. I have Texas Speed as-cast 225cc heads, with PAC 660 springs and titanium lifters, BTR shaft rockers with BTR rocker arms.

Pictures are worth quite a lot of words, but in closing I was able to measure 0.040"-0.050" of clearance between the rocker and retainer on a fully closed valve using playdough. Talking to BTR, the clearance is roughly what they'd look for. I inquired about shimming the rocker assembly if additional clearance is needed and if the wipe pattern was off, but was advised against it, at least with BTR rocker arms since wipe area of the nose is greater than stock.

In addition the clearance should only get larger as the rocker arm moves through it's travel. I have yet to check that since the heads are off the block and I need to get correct push rods.

Figured I’d pop back in and update this thread should anyone have similar issues. I switched to BTR valve springs and I now have plenty of clearance with no shims.

Quick Reply: BTR rockers & Shaft rocker issue