Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 stroker.....600hp build?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 512 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm betting that most of the youtube engine dyno horsepower numbers would drop quite a bit if they were not running the motor with oil up to temp, but 130* dyno water keeping the heads cool. Not sure how many of those tunes would run more than 2 pulls without detonating the heads off at real world engine temps. Even at normal temps, an engine dyno pull does not heat soak the motor like a 1/4 mile run.
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LS1auto
Up here in Kernersville. The Triad, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point. My best 60 was a 1.43 but not on my best pass. If I could get that or 1.40 I think it might go a 6.7 something in the 1/8. Maybe. Lol.
Ok. I run at Jacksonville a lot. What converter are you running?
Old 02-18-2024, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I'm betting that most of the youtube engine dyno horsepower numbers would drop quite a bit if they were not running the motor with oil up to temp, but 130* dyno water keeping the heads cool. Not sure how many of those tunes would run more than 2 pulls without detonating the heads off at real world engine temps. Even at normal temps, an engine dyno pull does not heat soak the motor like a 1/4 mile run.
In my experience, running the engine cool does not add a lot of extra power. I have only seen about a 5hp difference between running hot and cool on an engine dyno. The dyno I have been using is not climate controlled. It is usually 80-90 degrees and 90% humidity in the dyno room. The engine does get plenty hot while getting the tune just right. You usually only see the last pull or maybe a few short clips of the pulls before the final one in the Youtube videos. It takes longer than it looks to get everything dialed in. By the time you have the tune right, the engine is as heat-soaked as it's gonna get. The last "cool" pull is made with the same tune. It makes more power, even though nothing in the tune changes.
Old 02-19-2024, 04:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 409 Likes on 158 Posts

As others have mentioned I built a 383 for my C5 back in 2005 or so.....the parts I offer now for a similar build are actually quite a bit better....I made close to mid 500's at the wheels 20 years ago which is still respectable even today with a 383 cube build

Speaking of 20 years ago, I got an email from LS1Tech recently with my 20 year "Birthday" of when I initially signed up.....crazy that much time has gone by!! (If a Moderator is reading this can I get my 20 year banner in my sig please!!)

The heads I ran then flowed 312 CFM (1st Gen AFR 225 heads).....my newer 227X heads that I offer now under the Mamo Motorsports brand touch 330 CFM on the same 3.900 bore....naturally more exhaust flow as well.

Airspeed is a bunch better to achieve that as well.....this is a huge improvement and with the right combination would make significantly more power. The newer intakes out now would be a nice bump in output....cam profiles....etc etc.

Here is some info on my fairly new 227 X heads that Im referring to

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e=pocket_saves

A 383 built properly will run really hard.....don't discount the idea of building one because you read about one that didnt make a big number. At the end of the day its always about the right combination of parts.

In fact when I installed a larger 1.875 header on that build back in 2005, it made 540 at the wheels....I picked up about 10 more ponies on the same dyno when I backed to backed tested both (1.75 vs 1.875)

Here is an old video of my C5 ripping down the block right off the chassis dyno at A&A Corvettes (made 540 at the wheels that day).

OP....gimme a ring or shoot me an email....I can design a package for you that will put a big grin on your face....I guarantee it. My newer stuff makes it that much easier to put down a big number.

Regards,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 02-19-2024 at 05:01 AM.
G Atsma (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 910 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
That's my biggest complaint about RH videos. The amount of timing he runs on **** makes me cringe. On an engine dyno, in a controlled enviroment it works. I don't have an engine dyno, so I'm not for sure what the "normal" testing conditions are.

I just feel bad for the people that watch his videos, try and replicate exactly what he does and end up with a pile of parts.

I do find it funny that anytime a dyno is mentioned on the internet, it's either "happy" or "stingy". I can't recall ever reading where someone said a particular dyno was accurate.

I guess it just depends on if you made the amount of power the internet said you should have.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,177 Likes on 2,482 Posts

Nobody will re-create Richard's numbers in a vehicle, and he says so.
Electric water pump with cold water, no accessories, dyno headers and usually open exhaust, open intake, etc.
His tests are to compare setups, like different cams, manifolds, heads, etc.
The numbers are ONLY to be used to compare incremental increases or decreases, and nothing else.
Absolute numbers mean absolutely nothing.
The following 3 users liked this post by G Atsma:
02EBC5Z06 (02-19-2024), wannafbody (02-21-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 747 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Utinator
I have no idea what my car weighs. I really would like to find out some day. It's probably heavier than average. That might explain why my car is much slower than most others with similar mods. Shortly after it was chassis dyno tuned in Virginia, it ran about a 12.3 sec 1/4 mile at 112mph. The last time I was at the track here in Texas, it ran a 13.0 at 108mph.

I think I have seen the racing calculators that use the 1/4 mile time, vehicle weight, etc to calculate your eng. HP. I have never seen one of those calculators factor in all of the variables. Those calculators are never going to be as accurate as a dyno. If you want to figure HP based on a 1/4 mile time, then you need other bits of information, like windage and drag coefficient. Some of those variables change constantly, so you won't get an accurate calculation. I think you are making more power than you think.
Hit up any dump or truck weigh station if the track doesn't have a scale.

Actually Dynos *can* be much less accurate than a simple math formula. You don't need to calculate in all the variables to know it takes X amount of HP to go Y speed over Z distance. The only real variable there is "DA" as the calculators use sea level and like 76* or something close. Most aren't going to dyno at sea level in the dead of winter with arctic air, then race in a mountain desert. Its generally pretty similar DA when you talk about dyno VS track. Its not the norm to see some odd massive swing.

As I mentioned I'm close friends with dyno operators. I can throw in what ever correction factor I want and make the dyno read excessively high or low. Its a known fact that people like to see high numbers. And many dynos read on the high side to keep customers happy. If your car is slower than others with 382whp... Then it likely doesn't really make 382whp. I mean it could be heavier... but its likely not hundreds of pounds different than similar chassis setups.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 02-20-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,104 Likes on 778 Posts

Another option is to find a certified grain scale. Most farm towns have one, usually near the grain elevator or RR tracks. Only cost me a few bucks. My 2000 C5 weighed in on the grain scale@exactly 3,250lbs on the nose.......
Old 02-20-2024, 11:54 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Nobody will re-create Richard's numbers in a vehicle, and he says so.
Electric water pump with cold water, no accessories, dyno headers and usually open exhaust, open intake, etc.
His tests are to compare setups, like different cams, manifolds, heads, etc.
The numbers are ONLY to be used to compare incremental increases or decreases, and nothing else.
Absolute numbers mean absolutely nothing.
He did a video that showed the differences it made with OEM intake tract, and all the standard accessories. It wasn't that much of a difference. We are talking a 33%+ difference in general between what his *stock* motors make VS what a a chassis dyno stock motor makes. And thats NA. Throw modified motors and boost in there and it compounds the difference.

Freiburger's F-bomb Camaro is one of the few setups that were dyno'd and run at the track. It dyno'd 1400hp (on an 83lb injector I might add) Could barely get it to go 146 the first outing at the track and they claimed they had it at 920hp boost setting. Then the next outing months later. (mind you this is a $30k full blown 406 built to the hilt badass Nelson race motor.) they were giving it every thing it had to go 9.08 @ 154. That's just sad... I was outrunning a $100k car with a cam only 4.8 at the same boost level at 3200lbs.
G Atsma (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
He did a video that showed the differences it made with OEM intake tract, and all the standard accessories. It wasn't that much of a difference. We are talking a 33%+ difference in general between what his *stock* motors make VS what a a chassis dyno stock motor makes. And thats NA. Throw modified motors and boost in there and it compounds the difference.

Freiburger's F-bomb Camaro is one of the few setups that were dyno'd and run at the track. It dyno'd 1400hp (on an 83lb injector I might add) Could barely get it to go 146 the first outing at the track and they claimed they had it at 920hp boost setting. Then the next outing months later. (mind you this is a $30k full blown 406 built to the hilt badass Nelson race motor.) they were giving it every thing it had to go 9.08 @ 154. That's just sad... I was outrunning a $100k car with a cam only 4.8 at the same boost level at 3200lbs.
Probably not an optimal combination..there's plenty of other examples of engines that have been run on westech's dyno (same one Holdener uses for his youtube channel) that made X amount of power and backed up the numbers in 1/4 mile times or trap speed..just watch all of the roadkill garage episodes with the crusher camaro or 56 chevy..both small blocks that made between 500-550 at westech and both cars trapped 122-124 mph in a 3000ish pound car. That's pretty spot on if you ask me.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:04 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BFK86
Probably not an optimal combination. There's plenty of other examples of engines that have been run on westech's dyno (same one Holdener uses for his youtube channel) that made X amount of power and backed up the numbers in 1/4 mile times or trap speed..just watch all of the roadkill garage episodes with the crusher camaro or 56 chevy..both small blocks that made between 500-550 at westech and both cars trapped 122-124 mph in a 3000ish pound car. That's pretty spot on if you ask me.
Id like to see some examples if you have links to any of them?

There have been a few diff motors in that Crusher Camaro. I don’t recall a westech Dyno’d SB that made 500 and went 124. Pretty sure I’ve seen all those episodes. I don’t recall what you are saying. I admit its been a long time, may of missed it. I looked again and couldn’t find anything.

I saw the latest LS3 motor in the Camaro had a 770 wheel hp dyno graph. IS that the one you say went 124?

The 56 210 video I saw with their 500hp “Covid 350” went 11.6 @ 118. Not 124. That’s around 390hp in a 3000lb car, not 500.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,104 Likes on 778 Posts

Not disagreeing with you, or raining on your parade, fill in the blank. BUT-Saying you outran a $100,000 car doesn't mean much, at least with some of the European cars, if that's what it was. $100,000 is a down payment on many of those. A $100,000 Euro car may be only 450hp. I beat a 600hp Audi R8 a few years ago with my C5, with a built, N/A LS7. Not by a lot, but I beat him convincingly. He wanted to race, not me, and thought he'd beat up on a 20 year old C5 that looked totally stock. Surprise!! Even had the wife with me! A lot of those Euro car owners have a lot more wallet than driving talent. Many are just snobs with a hey-look-at-me attitudes. I do agree that a 1,400hp motor in a 3,000lb-3,500lb car should do better than 154mph in the 1/4 mile!! I'd be mighty disappointed, I know that......
Old 02-21-2024, 01:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by grinder11
Not disagreeing with you, or raining on your parade, fill in the blank. BUT-Saying you outran a $100,000 car doesn't mean much, at least with some of the European cars, if that's what it was. $100,000 is a down payment on many of those. A $100,000 Euro car may be only 450hp. I beat a 600hp Audi R8 a few years ago with my C5, with a built, N/A LS7. Not by a lot, but I beat him convincingly. He wanted to race, not me, and thought he'd beat up on a 20 year old C5 that looked totally stock. Surprise!! Even had the wife with me! A lot of those Euro car owners have a lot more wallet than driving talent. Many are just snobs with a hey-look-at-me attitudes. I do agree that a 1,400hp motor in a 3,000lb-3,500lb car should do better than 154mph in the 1/4 mile!! I'd be mighty disappointed, I know that......
That's not the point i was making. I wasn’t bragging I could beat an expensive car. I was stating that a cam only JY 4.8 motor obviously isn’t making anywhere near the power numbers they are claiming. Yet it trapped quicker at a similar weight. IE... its another example of their numbers being inflated.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:18 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,219 Posts

Lots of factors. Available traction, track prep, suspension setup, gearing, bla, bla, bla. 1400 is hard to get to the ground….700-800 is as well on certain surfaces, but not nearly as hard as 1400. Either way, the boosted JY 4.8 never disappoints.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:43 PM
8 Second Club

Could be slippy converters or clutches maybe. I was just using it as an example. I can botch the front half really badly and ET horribly. But the MPH is still pretty much the same.

The F-Bomb wasn’t having issues getting the power down on the videos I saw. Not like it was blowing the tires off half track and coasting to those times. It was dead hooking 1.3x 60’s and going strong the whole pull.

Interestingly enough, If we use the “32% Westech dyno exaggeration rule”. it comes out to 950 crank. Those numbers are pretty spot on in the formula and what I’d guess it was actually making. Was prob more like 3300-3400lbs If I’m being fair. That comes out to low to mid 150’s.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jhshnh
Ok. I run at Jacksonville a lot. What converter are you running?
Times in sig were with 4000SS. Has a PT4400 now. It did not benefit me at all going to the 4400. Check out my thread in the transmission forum about that,
Old 02-24-2024, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Id like to see some examples if you have links to any of them?

There have been a few diff motors in that Crusher Camaro. I don’t recall a westech Dyno’d SB that made 500 and went 124. Pretty sure I’ve seen all those episodes. I don’t recall what you are saying. I admit its been a long time, may of missed it. I looked again and couldn’t find anything.

I saw the latest LS3 motor in the Camaro had a 770 wheel hp dyno graph. IS that the one you say went 124?

The 56 210 video I saw with their 500hp “Covid 350” went 11.6 @ 118. Not 124. That’s around 390hp in a 3000lb car, not 500.
Just rewatched two of those episodes, the 56 went 11.30s at 120+ and the crusher has been 10.70s at 124..eitherway there's alot of variables and neither car is dialed in to its full potential, those guys don't have the time to spend on going to test n tunes and getting all of their cars lined out with their wild schedules. But I don't know if I've ever seen 390 hp in a 3000 pound car running that kind of mph unless were talking about some stock eliminator or super stocker, but even then they run the ET but not the mph since they can 60ft hard but its mostly all over by the 1/8..maybe some online calculator that doesn't take any realistic variables into account would claim that..I dunno. But that 400 in the crusher making 550 is not out of this world numbers, plenty of other 400s with good heads and cam making that kind of power.

Last edited by BFK86; 02-24-2024 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 383 stroker.....600hp build?