Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 + 4L80E- Dismantler or still in-vehicle? TLDR option

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LQ4 + 4L80E- Dismantler or still in-vehicle? TLDR option

Good morning everyone! TLDR: of my utmost ability- when purchasing a used block, how do I prevent a machine shop from telling me "hey dude, we Magnaflux'd your block and it has 36,000 cracks in it"

I will be purchasing a used 6.0L LQ4 + 4L80E to rebuild for a 70' Chevelle project. Should I search for them at a scrapyard/vehicle dismantler, or taken as a set from a complete vehicle? Biggest point being: how can I find an engine + trans that have never blown head gasket/internal damage to the block/cracks/warping? Same for the trans- issues internally, slipping etc.?

Dismantler Pro's:
- On average cheaper/easier/less paperwork vs buying an entire vehicle just for those 2
- Can search for low mileage for each

Dismantler Con's:
- Cant run a VIN against the engine or trans?
- Just taking word of mouth from the dismantler regarding health and history on each part

Purchasing vehicle as a set Con's:
- more paperwork + have to transport it + usually more expensive + have to dispose of the remainder of the vehicle

Purchasing vehicle as a set Pro's:
- can possibly start and run the vehicle (drive it ideally) ... which means I can run tests and check quality
- engine + trans have been mated as a set and can be pulled as 1 unit
- can run a VIN for history

*** Please note, I understand that purchasing these via ANY method does not confirm or deny there is any damage, even if a good amount of testing can be done. It always comes down to examining the block/trans once taken apart. I am just trying to filter my way as much as possible to avoid the worst-case scenario of wasting $ on a bad block or trans.***

Please move this thread or attach a link to where this topic already exists (if it does). I couldnt find a good thread with this detail and specifics for what I'm asking

Thanks!!

Last edited by GarageBeers; 03-13-2024 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:01 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,219 Posts

Where are you Garage Beers? I have a guy here in north Ga that only sells pullout engines that he has personally seen and heard run. He deals with salvage yards that he’s friends with and they all send him running videos of the engines that he watches before he buys. He supplies a VIN and guaranteed mileage. He warrants his stuff. He goes waaaay out of his way to make sure your happy. He ships his stuff also. I’ve bought 3 pullouts from him and installed a fourth one for a friend, so I can testify of his stuff being quality.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (03-14-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Where are you Garage Beers? I have a guy here in north Ga that only sells pullout engines that he has personally seen and heard run. He deals with salvage yards that he’s friends with and they all send him running videos of the engines that he watches before he buys. He supplies a VIN and guaranteed mileage. He warrants his stuff. He goes waaaay out of his way to make sure your happy. He ships his stuff also. I’ve bought 3 pullouts from him and installed a fourth one for a friend, so I can testify of his stuff being quality.
wow that’s really great to hear thank you! I am located in Commifornia, but definitely interested in paying for shipping knowing its a healthy set
Old 03-15-2024, 09:05 AM
ModSquad

PM sent….
Old 03-16-2024, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
PM sent….
hey got it thanks a ton. I can’t respond back to your message because my new user status.

thanks again, super awesome of you 👍
Old 03-16-2024, 08:41 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by GarageBeers
hey got it thanks a ton. I can’t respond back to your message because my new user status.

thanks again, super awesome of you 👍
No problem man, glad to help.

Quick Reply: LQ4 + 4L80E- Dismantler or still in-vehicle? TLDR option