Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second time I've had a rocker arm bolt break off in the head....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second time I've had a rocker arm bolt break off in the head....

Why can't GM make bolts that can hold up to the abuse they see? I broke my first rocker arm bolt off in my head just by driving around town. Everything was torqued properly and rechecked. No problems until about 1000 miles after a cam change. Now I'm in the process of changing a cam on my friend's truck and the bolt broke off while my friend was changing a valve spring. Both have been on the #7 cylinder. It wasn't an error on our part, we made sure both the hole and the bolt were clean before we began. The bolt broke off while the spring was being decompressed too. Someone really needs to make hardened rocker arm bolts.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

perhaps if someone gathered the specs and sent them to ARP, along with a consensus(or some sort of petition, anything showing a mass interest) they might look into it. may not be the cheapest of bolts but well worth it.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you using a lever style tool to remove the springs? If so, those things are notorious for breaking off bolts.

I just stripped one of the rocker bolt holes in my passenger head, so I feel your pain..
Old 10-15-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like this idea of making stronger bolts, but you know if they were to put something that cost gm $300, they would yank the cost up another $1000 on the car. I'd rather it be aftermarket.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Were you using a lever style tool to remove the springs? If so, those things are notorious for breaking off bolts.
It is a lever-style tool that has been modified (shortened, and slight grinding). Lots of members on here use one like this from what I've read. This will be the 6th cam install I've used this tool on and the first bolt I've broken with it.

I would honestly pay as much for ARP rocker arm bolts as their head studs cost if I knew they wouldn't break.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

The problem is not usually the bolt breaking it is the threads stripping/or pulling out of the head, a stronger bolt is only going to make that problem worse.

Personally I would rather deal with a broken bolt.......
Old 10-15-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GS WS6
The problem is not usually the bolt breaking it is the threads stripping/or pulling out of the head, a stronger bolt is only going to make that problem worse.

Personally I would rather deal with a broken bolt.......
Since I haven't had that happen yet, my concern is bolt strength over the strength of the threads. There is nothing that can be done for the threads, unless the head was cryo'd. I'd rather helicoil a bolt hole than risk having to pull the heads on a daily driver when you aren't prepared to (no gaskets, bolts, no money to get heads milled, etc.). I'm hoping we won't have to pull the heads, but it is going to be tricky to back this bolt out on the #7 cylinder.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Well, we got the bolt out with a right angle drill and a torx-head screwdriver. Now just to find another bolt ASAP...
Old 10-16-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quickWS6
Well, we got the bolt out with a right angle drill and a torx-head screwdriver. Now just to find another bolt ASAP...
Local dealer..
Old 10-16-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Local dealer..
The problem with that is this is his daily driver and I highly doubt any of the dealers around here would have one in stock. But a friend of mine at a junk yard is going to help me out with one.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Definitely good news. Glad to hear you got it worked out. But what about the bolt idea?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by quickWS6
The problem with that is this is his daily driver and I highly doubt any of the dealers around here would have one in stock. But a friend of mine at a junk yard is going to help me out with one.
My buddy stripped the heck out of the bolt heads when he was helping me out so as a precaution, I now keep at least 4 extra NEW rocker arm and valve cover bolts in my garage at all times.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

You'd be surprised. It is in stock at alot of dealerships. I had to look them up locally before.

FWIW: I guarantee if you get a tool like Larrys tool, it'll be a long long time, possibly enver, before you break another one. I broke 2 using the modified lever tool. The tool larry made has been used on over 10 different occasions just in the past 3 months.. It'd be very difficult to damage something with this tool.

Josh

Quick Reply: Second time I've had a rocker arm bolt break off in the head....