Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Dual Valve Spring for FM9 Cam?

Old 10-16-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Dual Valve Spring for FM9 Cam?

The cam specs are: 232/236 .595/.598 113. I believe this cam's powerband is 2800-7000 rpm's.
I am trying to decide between:
1). Patriot Golds
2). Crane Duals
3). PRC Golds
They all are priced within $20 of each other for the kit. Which ones would be the best for spring life, installation, lack of defects, etc.
Please, no sponsors unless you sell ALL three of them or have personally seen failure from any of them. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't seen many people run the PRC Golds. I can't comment on them. Everyone loves the PP Golds, and now that they're $280 instead of $300, they're an even better deal. More beer money(or mod money, as you will). No idea on Crane duals. Thats a beast of a cam...you picked it up from Josh, didn't you?
Old 10-16-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
I haven't seen many people run the PRC Golds. I can't comment on them. Everyone loves the PP Golds, and now that they're $280 instead of $300, they're an even better deal. More beer money(or mod money, as you will). No idea on Crane duals. Thats a beast of a cam...you picked it up from Josh, didn't you?
Yeah, he's waiting for my check to clear so that it can be shipped. I can't wait to install it! Thanks for the response.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crane duals here.so far so good.revving between 6800-7k rpm.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

np, i was thinkin about pickin up that cam myself but you got to it first. enjoy it!! if you have any more question shoot me a pm. i'm lookin into the f14 now
Old 10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not currently sell all 3 of them,but I have sold and installed all 3 of them.The PRC kit is the best engineered kit that I have installed,period.The cranes springs will need to be shimmed for pressure.The patriots spring is good,but the other parts in the kit have to much clearance ( doesn't fit together correctly ).The cheapest price product is not always the best.It may end up costing money in the end.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

We recommend the PRC or the Manley(Manley requires a .030 shim) duals, we stock both of them. Let us know if you need anything.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry@RacetechSpeed
I do not currently sell all 3 of them,but I have sold and installed all 3 of them.The PRC kit is the best engineered kit that I have installed,period.The cranes springs will need to be shimmed for pressure.The patriots spring is good,but the other parts in the kit have to much clearance ( doesn't fit together correctly ).The cheapest price product is not always the best.It may end up costing money in the end.
funny, my PP golds fit perfectly together and checked out indepedently at:

143lbs @ 1.800
363 @ 1.200
coil bind @ 1.060
clearance: .140
rate: 367 lb/in

what about the PP Golds has changed besides your affiliation with them. You used to pimp the Golds religiously but now that your not a part of the PP camp they are somehow inferior ...
Old 10-16-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
funny, my PP golds fit perfectly together and checked out indepedently at:

143lbs @ 1.800
363 @ 1.200
coil bind @ 1.060
clearance: .140
rate: 367 lb/in

what about the PP Golds has changed besides your affiliation with them. You used to pimp the Golds religiously but now that your not a part of the PP camp they are somehow inferior ...
The springs themselves are fine,the problem is with the remaining parts.I gave my opinion of the whole spring kit.

Last edited by Terry@RacetechSpeed; 10-16-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry@RacetechSpeed
The springs themselves are fine,the problem is with the remaining parts.I gave my opinion of the whole spring kit.
as did I, the springs checked out fine, and the retainers, locks, and seats all fit together perfectly, no play or issues. Steve from R.E.D even checked them out and had nothing bad to say about them other then he wished they were a bigger diameter but that would require machining of the spring pockets.

you never answered my question of what has changed about the PP Golds beyond your affilation w/ them. you've never once before mentioned any play or clearance problems with the kit before....
Old 10-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with what FMS suggest for their cams. I had that cam and I can tell you the ramp rates are fast and I killed a set of 918's. Go with FMS suggestion.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Candy
We recommend the PRC or the Manley(Manley requires a .030 shim) duals, we stock both of them. Let us know if you need anything.
Straight from the horses mouth!

From the responses here and what I have read in other threads, my findings are that:
1). The cranes are good but require shimming
2). The PRC's have not been used a lot so there is limited feedback
3). The Patriot's are a good spring but some people don't like Patriot because of the alledged problems in workmanship and quality of their heads in the past (not to say that this pertains to anybody that responded to my thread). I never had any experience with their heads so I can't say anything but state what I have read.

Thanks to all who responded and offered their opinions, but I guess I'll go with the PRC's since that is what FMS recommended. I'll cross my fingers and hope that I made the right choice. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

So FMS told you to go ahead and run the PRC kit? Cool. Sounds like its a pretty decent rig then, Allan wouldn't be pushing a **** setup, he's a stand up guy. Terry what do you sell those kits for? 289?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jrp
I agree.

Terry always says the springs that he sells at the moment are the absolute best, but when he stops selling them then there are problems.

Glad I never bought anything from him.

The PRC kit hasn't been proven as much as the Patriot Golds, so I would go with the Patriot Golds myself.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
So FMS told you to go ahead and run the PRC kit? Cool. Sounds like its a pretty decent rig then, Allan wouldn't be pushing a **** setup, he's a stand up guy. Terry what do you sell those kits for? 289?

So far we havent had any issues or problems come up with the PRC and we have tested the seat pressure of the springs and it is good. We use and havent had any problems with the Manley's either.

Tomass.. you can always give Allan a call tomorrow if you wanted to discuss it a little more.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2004, 12:37 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My 987's held up fine with this cam, HOWEVER I AM NOT recommending them. I think any of the newer doubles should be fine (Crane 832's shimmed, CC 921's, etc..)

Have fun with your cam Tom
Old 10-17-2004, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Candy
So far we havent had any issues or problems come up with the PRC and we have tested the seat pressure of the springs and it is good. We use and havent had any problems with the Manley's either.

Thanks
Candy,

Do you sell both the PRCs and Manleys? My REV springs are around two years old and getting tired.

P.S.- I don't know who's working on your web site, but tell them to get their *** in gear!
Old 10-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XTrooper
Candy,

Do you sell both the PRCs and Manleys? My REV springs are around two years old and getting tired.

P.S.- I don't know who's working on your web site, but tell them to get their *** in gear!
Yes we sell both.. YEA you tell her..
Old 10-17-2004, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Futral Motorsports
Yes we sell both.. YEA you tell her..
Allan,

Regarding the Manley dual springs, are you using their 426/.650" lift or 408/.600" lift springs? Thanks!

Search this Thread