Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI's 427stroker or 475 Heads/Cam Pkg. info

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking MTI's 427stroker or 475 Heads/Cam Pkg. info

Did a search the past two days and found a lot of useful info on this stuff. I can say that I am pretty tired of reading now and strain my eyes looking at this comp screen as well. I do feel a little more educated and aware of everything now.

One thing I have not found, are sounds clips, videos, or pics. I would really like to hear or see some vids of MTI's 427 stroker as well as their 475hp Heads/Cam pkg. I am leaning towards the investment on their work and like the warranty they provide. It is not possible for me to do the install as I lack the tools for a major install such as this.

If any of you have any sound or video clips of MTI's work on your cars please post em up. Let me know how everything has gone since the install..any problems?? Got Pics?? Feed me your info. and advice!!

Ready....GO!

oh yea...TIA!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:37 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe their website has sound clips and vids. I've had 5 different f-bodies, 2 LT1's and 3 LS1's have work performed on them at MTI. The installs, craftsmanship and quality are all top notch. I believe the 427 stroker motors carry a 2 year/24k mile warranty and their heads/cam pkgs. carry a 1 year/12k mile warranty.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Visit MTI's website there are some sound clips on the home page bottom-right. Here are two clips from my MTI Stage 2E heads and C2 cam package. MTI has done all of my engine work and their Tech's are first rate. Enjoy your new power.

Idle and revRight click & save to target

Run thru the gearsRight click & save to target
Old 10-29-2004, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are talking about 2 completely different things for your car.
If you can afford the 427 package...get it...there is no looking back from there.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

What he said, it's all good.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
If you can afford the 427 package...get it...there is no looking back from there.
I wouldnt exactly say 'I can afford it' since I will just be laying down the credit card. Its more like 'credit card debt..here I come!' Although I see it as a very reasonable investment. I dream about these things day and night. Now its just a matter of how much I would like to pay monthly.

I've visited MTI's site numerous times and you would think I should have seen those media clips earlier. Geez..Im losing it.

Anyways, nice clips of the vette! Anyone have more clips? pics? advice? feedback? etc... I want to hear it all!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Performance mods should never be considered and investment. They are a severly depreciating item. Look at it this way what ever you go with is going to affect your car regardless of what you spend. Is this your only car? A 427 is going to use alot more gas than what you currently use. You may need a new rear end and transmission to handle more power depending on the condition of your current stuff. You live in California so you may have trouble passing emissions. I would never recommend going into deep debt modding your car, its just not worth it. I have spent loads of money on my car and looking back on it I would prefer to have spent it else where but im in this deep not much I can do. Debt is no fun no matter how cool your car is.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well you shouldnt do anything until you can pay cash for them...there is no recovering the outlay when you go to sell. Its throw away hobby money.

take it from me..im still paying off mine..big mistake.

just get the H/C then if you are borrowing and have too. you can get 475 rwhp packages now no problem with a 346...why only get 475 engine hp? thats obsolete.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

either way you go you are going to start breaking things.
if you arnt in a financial situation to be able to pay for at least 80% if it up front i wouldnt even really think about it (unless you make crazy money)

an engine alone wont turn numbers like you might expect, suspension, rearend, trans work. it all needs to be done and dialed in properly to acheive your goals.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maddboost
Is this your only car?
I have an 01' s10 for my daily driver. No worries there. Just looking for something to bring out on the weekends and know I can hang with the exotic cars. Or eventually go 10s in the 1/4.

I can actually afford most of 475hp Heads/Cam pkg, which actually makes more sense, but I dont really want to go to a large cam. I want to know it can be a daily driver if I choose. The sound is also a big issue. I dont want something that is going to sound 'choppy' I want a smooth idle sound. The zl1s have a 427 but sound amazing. Whats the key in that? a smaller cam?

As for the 427 stroker pkg...I would only be putting about 1/3 down. I guess it makes more sense not to get in debt over it. Maybe I just had to hear from others that have chosen that route.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

small cam and big cubes in those quiet 427s.
you can sneeze out 475hp H/C packages now..sound stock..

Dont forget about all the extras..fuel system,clutch, rear, intake, exhaust.etc..it all adds up.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Launching!

go with the 427
Old 10-29-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Dont forget about all the extras..fuel system,clutch, rear, intake, exhaust.etc..it all adds up.

12-bolt - 2200
FAST intake setup - 1200
New fuel system - that can get ugly
exhaust - anywhere from 500-2000

These are all thigns you will need eventually if you go with the 427. Actually, they should all be done at the same time. IF you want it to perform like it could. So unless you have a totally built car right now, add about 6k to the motor just to handle that power, between suspension and drivetrain and intake/exhuast. Otherwise you'll just end up breakin all your stock **** sooner or later.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

dont forget

Drive shaft - 400
Transmission - This can get ugly as well
Suspension - can be alot / what good is alot of power if you cant put it on the ground
Rims and tires - I doubt youll want to put 600rwhp down on your stock tires.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

The best decision you have made is going with MTI. With heads and cam and alittle spray you will run mid to high 10`s with stock bottom. I promise you would love it. MTI will take good care of you. Just talk to David Coates and let him set you up!!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Go heads and cam for now. Look at it like this, get a set of stage 2 heads, then when you get the 427 upgrade, the stage 2 heads can easily become upgraded to a stage 3. This also gives you time to get a rear end, better wheels and tires, and so on. Hell I'd just go cam only right now and get the rest of the stuff taken care of.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm also going to throw up the warning about not going in to debt on a motor. 1/3 of a 427 is still 2/3 debt... what's that, like $10k or so of debt? That's significant money.

I've heard of a number of guys making credit card payments on a motor for a year or two after the motor blew up. That's no fun. Paid in full is the only way to ride, IMO. Live within your means (get the h/c package)... and nitrous is reasonably priced.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like Heads/Cam pkg here I come. At least I had some sense knocked into me Now I wont be paying for a possible blown motor plus all other expenses invloved a year or two down the road

As for Cam choices, any suggestions... I would like to keep as smooth of an idle as possible so it sounds close to stock but I want it to scream at WOT.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Launching!

im in the same boat as you. i want a 427 really bad, but i cant go into more debt than im all ready am. so ill be getting rearend soon and a little later on heads and 90mm intake/TB. after all that is on, ill save up for a couple years and transfer my heads and intake to the 427. am i the only one or when you tell people all this stuff you are planning on doing, they tell you, "why, thats stupid to spend that much money" ? they just dont understand.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1Adam
Looks like Heads/Cam pkg here I come. At least I had some sense knocked into me Now I wont be paying for a possible blown motor plus all other expenses invloved a year or two down the road

As for Cam choices, any suggestions... I would like to keep as smooth of an idle as possible so it sounds close to stock but I want it to scream at WOT.
All depends on what you want. The range from mild to wild. I have a Trex but I dont recommend that for a first cam as it is a little extreme. Do a search you will find alot of personal experience with different cams.