Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know the spces on LG Motorsports Juggernaut cam??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you read anything I wrote?
The trans was on the way out, that's why I was short shifting.

The 60' is right in my sig.

It's not just a cam shaft, it's also how the combo works together.

I personally think you analyze stuff to death.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey Lou,

I know the p/v clearance is really tight(.060-.065") on the g5x4, so any plans to raise the lsa or something to increase the clearance for stock heads.

I would go with this cam tomorrow if I wasn't worried about the clearance.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:00 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01-Z, sorry, totally forgot about your previous post. You were short shifting because youre tranny was going away and you did indeed short shift those 2 fastest times. I also missed your 60 ft. in your sig., I guess I skim over things too fast. I know its not just the cam shaft, but I have everything but the cam to run the numbers, that is why Im stuck on choosing the right cam. Another reason that you are running those numbers is because you have a really good race weight. Mine is good, but probably a couple hundred pounds heavier than yours. I'll keep a better eye out and stop reading everything so quickly.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

::: SSOnYourSix posting, but since the software on this forum is so great its not letting Todd log out of my computer... Thanks LS1tech! :::

My G5X4 is in... I will have dynos up shortly, but I have a bad power steering pump and im about to tear the trans apart for rebuild as the car has 84,000 miles on it! It makes SOLID power over the X3 ALL OVER the rpm range from 2200 all the way to peak with NO LOSS anywhere. I wont post the dynos till I have a fair one up as I want a 100% accurate before and after! I will tell you though even with the bad pump it still makes a good amount more power with NO drivability loss, or loss in idle quality! Still starts like it did with the X3, and the X2, and stock!

Watch soon for the dyno, sound clips and maybe a track vid if I get time!

-SSOnYourSix (Mike)
Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does this cam sound good/mean/choppy? Im currently running the MTI C2 cam (224/.581/112 LSA) and it sounds pretty good. I am looking for a cam as we speak, but never really asked about sound. Im not worried about what it sounds like, but what its going to do at the track, but I would still like to know what it sounds like. Is the sound pretty aggressive?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

think about how the x3 sounds and go figure
Old 12-09-2004, 07:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

I dont even know what the G5X-3 sounds like.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Todd@DiscountTireDirect

Watch soon for the dyno, sound clips and maybe a track vid if I get time!

-SSOnYourSix (Mike)

You gotta be kidding, right?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Does this cam sound good/mean/choppy? Im currently running the MTI C2 cam (224/.581/112 LSA) and it sounds pretty good. I am looking for a cam as we speak, but never really asked about sound. Im not worried about what it sounds like, but what its going to do at the track, but I would still like to know what it sounds like. Is the sound pretty aggressive?
with a 900 rpm idle, its MEAN! Sounds like the 408 stroker car I have in my shop right now... the X3 is usually a little tame at anything over 950, sounding almost like an agressive stock cam... there is NO mistaking that the car has a cam now!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99BackNBlackZ28
You gotta be kidding, right?
Never said when Probably not gonna be till the next AZFBA track day
Old 12-10-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
Never said when Probably not gonna be till the next AZFBA track day

hehe, I figured that!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

drunk post: i will have dyno graphs and videos up around new years. no track results till spring. yay chicago.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Arrow

I dont even know what the G5X-3 sounds like.
www.ls1sounds.com
Old 12-11-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Question

SSOnYourSix,

I noticed in your sig you have stock ls6 heads, so did you have to take the heads off and flycut the pistons so the g5x4 would clear, or did you just throw the cam in and you're not worried about the clearance.

From talking to Lou last week auto guys should be able to throw the cam right in, but 6-speed guys have to watch out for mis-shifts or bouncing of the rev limiter.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cobraeater
SSOnYourSix,

I noticed in your sig you have stock ls6 heads, so did you have to take the heads off and flycut the pistons so the g5x4 would clear, or did you just throw the cam in and you're not worried about the clearance.

From talking to Lou last week auto guys should be able to throw the cam right in, but 6-speed guys have to watch out for mis-shifts or bouncing of the rev limiter.
I just tossed it right in... I trust anything Lou and Louis have to say... with the stock LS6 heads I have the sodium filled lightweight valves and Comp 921s so im not too worried about the PTV clearance... Then again I just really trust the Comp 921 springs! Ive yet to see one ever break, and even with almost 20,000 miles on mine the graph is STILL pulling at 7000 so valve float doesnt happen with these!

Id say for most people the X3 is more than fine and will give you the power you want... theres just the few extremists like myself that want to always have the newest fastest most powerful cam, so I snagged the X4.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

SSOnYourSix, where did the G5X-4 peak for you? Is there any difference in peak between a 6 speed and an auto.? Reason I ask is because 01-Z said his peaked at around 6300.

Cobraeater, could you explain this quote?

Old 12-16-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Cool

If you miss a shift, say going to 4th but you hit 2nd instead, the valves will float since you're going way beyond the rev range (7000+). The same thing when you hit the rev limiter the valves will float since you're throwing off the rotation.

Since the p/v clearance is so tight on the g5x4 if you get any valve float you're going to have the valves touching the pistons and there goes your motor.

SSOnYourSix, I noticed from your sig that you gained 7hp and 7torque, I think, over the g5x3.

Anymore impressions or dyno sheets on it.

I would go with the g5x4 if LG can figure a way out to improve the clearance.

LG, I'm on stock ls1 heads (never been taken off the car), so do you think I can run the g5x4 safely on my car without flycutting.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

SSOnYourSix, where did the G5X-4 peak for you? Is there any difference in peak between a 6 speed and an auto.? Reason I ask is because 01-Z said his peaked at around 6300.

Mine was still pulling at 7000... its IDENTICLE to my X3 curve except more power... starting at 2500 and up there is a minimum of 10 rwhp increase EVERYWHERE with no loss in low end.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

If you miss a shift, say going to 4th but you hit 2nd instead, the valves will float since you're going way beyond the rev range (7000+). The same thing when you hit the rev limiter the valves will float since you're throwing off the rotation.

Since the p/v clearance is so tight on the g5x4 if you get any valve float you're going to have the valves touching the pistons and there goes your motor.

SSOnYourSix, I noticed from your sig that you gained 7hp and 7torque, I think, over the g5x3.

LG, I'm on stock ls1 heads (never been taken off the car), so do you think I can run the g5x4 safely on my car without flycutting.
I havent dynod yet with the X4... shortly!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

I only had one shakedown run with the X4 and it was blowing the tires off due to wet drags on the dyno... im gonna get full numbers after tune maybe tonight if its cool out... still hitting high 70s in the day and not dropping below till late at night

Quick Reply: Anyone know the spces on LG Motorsports Juggernaut cam??