Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which CAM? No guess's just give me what you know!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 01:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CAM? No guess's just give me what you know!

OK, got my 3.73's in today. I cannot tell you what a difference it makes going from 2.73's. Seriously! The only bad part is I tach out ALOT higher then before (naturally) and I think my top end stops at about 130mph vs. 160mph.

I have MTI airlid and plan to get LT headers, minor things like TB bypass nothing major. I have 125 wet shot of Cold fusion nitrous. I dont spray all the time, but occasionally. I'm looking for a cam that will give me good exhaust duration (Because of the nitrous) be compatible with my auto tranny (no stall yet, but plan to get a 3200) or might not at all. I dont want to have to send my stock computer out for programming. I was thinking a LS6 cam?

Not looking for massive power but 30-40-50+ HP would be nice. I will replace the pushrods, valve springs, and retainers.

Any suggestions with "ACTUAL" knowledge would be wonderful.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

wont make 50 hp with just a small cam.. will want to get about a 3000 stall and will want to get lt headers and will prolly require a tune with just about any cam to get maximum performance or streetability with an auto! u have to install the cam anyways so send ur computer off while the car is down or just find a dyno tuner...
Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Get a stall first. 3200 or 3800 . that will get you the best gains. Then put a good cam in and there is no way around tuning. Autos have to get it. Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2004, 02:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beardWS6
Get a stall first. 3200 or 3800 . that will get you the best gains. Then put a good cam in and there is no way around tuning. Autos have to get it. Good Luck!

What are your times in the 1/4?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Launching!

First off you need to look at the whole system. Anyone item not working with the system will put you away from your mark. Be realistic too!!!! If I had a Auto ls1....I would get the converter and full exhaust done first to help with the new gears you have. When you select a cam for your set up you need to match it up with the converter you are using. You also need to take into acount many things when picking a cam...1 are you in a state were emission testing is done...2 what power level are you looking for (power band)....3 stock heads or ported stock/aftermarket....heads need to match the cam too!!! important!!!! ....4 is this a daily driver or a weekend warrior.....5 talk to the cam venders on this board (Call all of them)...there is a Christmas special at TS@P that looks good....6. Everything you do will make or break your combo.

I myself have stock ported heads with a tr224/224 cam 114lode sep. with 3.27 gears and have to be concerned with emissions.....even though they haven't done it here yet I'm trying to be prepared. My car is 2500 to 2600 pounds but I still need a cam that could pull the gearing that I'm using with the tire selection of 245/45r16's. I personally know I could of gotten a bigger cam and shift the power band higher with a few more pony's but I took alook at what i was trying to do and settled on what I felt was best for all the compromises I have. I hope this is helpful!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:43 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the stall and longtube headers first (like everyone else has mentioned).
Living in Cali pretty much limits your cam selection to a TR224 on a 114lsa (as already mentioned). There you have it.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Get the stall and longtube headers first (like everyone else has mentioned).
Living in Cali pretty much limits your cam selection to a TR224 on a 114lsa (as already mentioned). There you have it.

I'm not really worried about emissions, I have people who know people, yeah yeah blah blah crap. I guess my next upgrade will be LT's and gutted cats, that should give me 20-30 RWHP. I think I'm gonna stick with stock heads and maybe port them. I should probably build the heads since they are off with valves, pushrods (planned to do anyway) springs retainers etc.

I guess going with the cam this early is pointless, I'll get the headers then a stall then come back and talk.

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions.

Alex-