Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are your feelings on cams in general...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are your feelings on cams in general...

it's probably just a total misconception on my part, but i feel like if i decide to get a cam for the ws6, ill be shortening the life of my whole car/engine. It just seems to me that changing something like that would put undue wear and tear on the engine and everything else.
but..after i get my kooks/duals, i cant really think of how to make much more power other than a cam, or my ultimate goal a s/c (which would take much, much longer to set money aside for )
thoughts? ideas?
TIA

Last edited by jmX; 12-19-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How can a cam add wear to your engine? There is a cam in the car now and it isn't going to wear the motor out????? The only thing that adds wear on the motor is your foot. The only thing that can keep you from wearing out the motor is driving like a grand pa, and sometimes that is more harsh on a engine than one that is properlly driven. If your thinking about a super charger, I deffinattlly wouldn't be worried about the effects of a cam.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
How can a cam add wear to your engine? There is a cam in the car now and it isn't going to wear the motor out????? The only thing that adds wear on the motor is your foot. The only thing that can keep you from wearing out the motor is driving like a grand pa, and sometimes that is more harsh on a engine than one that is properlly driven. If your thinking about a super charger, I deffinattlly wouldn't be worried about the effects of a cam.
how would it not put any more stress on the engine? i just cant see how something internal, that adds as much power as it does would be just as "easy" on the motor as a stock cam
Old 12-17-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

no offense to beast96z but i think you're a little confused ... a bigger cam will definitely put extra stress on the motor, but you are right on one thing, "If your thinking about a super charger, I deffinattlly wouldn't be worried about the effects of a cam."
Old 12-18-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

I am usually a subscriber to the "everything in moderation" school of thought. I am using a relatively small cam with good springs and a properly setup valvetrain and haven't looked back once. Do your homework, buy good parts, install it right and enjoy your new power. Do it...you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

who cares what everyone else thinks, just do what you want to do and screw what people think...i mean, whos paying for the car, us or you

if youre worried about wear and tear then just dont push the gas to the floor, or near the floor for that matter...and if you want more power that means youre gonna wanna drive it fast which means youre gonna add wear
Old 12-18-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madpwr1
no offense to beast96z but i think you're a little confused ... a bigger cam will definitely put extra stress on the motor, but you are right on one thing, "If your thinking about a super charger, I deffinattlly wouldn't be worried about the effects of a cam."
No, I'm not confused. Like what was stated above, if you buy the parts to go along with the cam, the motor it's self isn't going to be any more stressed unless you push it there. It all comes down to cam selection and parts selection.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

WHAT MAN? seriously you're jokin right? ... how could you possibly not think a bigger cam puts added stress on a motor ... why do you think you need those parts to go along with the cam, maybe cause of the extra stress a cam causes? huh what an outrageous idea right!? ... and buy the parts to go along with it? like what parts, springs? there's more to a motor than springs ... what bout the parts you don't upgrade they aren't gettin extra stress? and even the parts you did upgrade will have more stress on them than if you were usin the stock cam

again my friend, you are confused

now can the motor last just as long maybe even longer than with the stock cam, obviously possible depends on a whole list of other things, but the added stress of a bigger cam is still there
Old 12-18-2004, 01:46 AM
7 Second Club

If you wanna go fast your gonna break stuff...power means money and broken ****... economical and power dont go together... if your worried about the motor life dont buy a cam just do bolt ons and watch your rpms.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are many people here with aftermarket cams- that have many, many miles on their engines. I would enjoy modding your car and not worry about wearing it out. The ls1 can take it. Every day you drive your car, it is one step closer to death....flakes of microscopic metal are wearing off!!! might as well have some fun with her before the boneyard right?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grimes
there are many people here with aftermarket cams- that have many, many miles on their engines. I would enjoy modding your car and not worry about wearing it out. The ls1 can take it. Every day you drive your car, it is one step closer to death....flakes of microscopic metal are wearing off!!! might as well have some fun with her before the boneyard right?
agreed
i think ill just stick with bolt on's for a while, and put some more miles on the car (theres only about 12k right now) then most likely get a decent cam, etc
thanks for the replies..for the most part
Old 12-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

theres only about 12k right now
the engine isnt even broken in yet...you still got an easy 100k more to go...
Old 12-19-2004, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS1 engine is a piece of engineering brilliance. I honestly think they built it knowing we'd moddify the he** out of it. Do your research, and install all of the proper complimenting parts during your mods, and you'll be pleasantly surprised how well (and long) she'll run. Good Luck
Old 12-19-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jabroni
I am usually a subscriber to the "everything in moderation" school of thought. I am using a relatively small cam with good springs and a properly setup valvetrain and haven't looked back once. Do your homework, buy good parts, install it right and enjoy your new power. Do it...you won't be disappointed.
Good piece of advice. You can build it with a monster cam and a 7k rev limit and slam it 'till it blows up, or something like the C1 or comp 216/220 and keep it below the 5500 redline with 918 springs and it will give an excellent power increase and keep the same longevity. Duration, lift, and LSA will determine your power range, keep it lower, drive it in that range, and have lots of fun for a long time!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Installing a larger cam in most cases will make your car run rich at idle. Washing the cylinders walls with too much fuel thus causing premature ring failure.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gollum
Installing a larger cam in most cases will make your car run rich at idle. Washing the cylinders walls with too much fuel thus causing premature ring failure.

...but something that would be taken care of when you bring your car in to be tuned. i think you bring up a good point though-a good tune is needed to do a cam install 100% properly
Old 12-19-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you should be driving a Honda rather than a hot rod..
have some fun...once you have 500rwhp you'll wonder why the hell you waited so long.
You only live once...dont save your car for anyone else..
Old 12-19-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Good piece of advice. You can build it with a monster cam and a 7k rev limit and slam it 'till it blows up, or something like the C1 or comp 216/220 and keep it below the 5500 redline with 918 springs and it will give an excellent power increase and keep the same longevity. Duration, lift, and LSA will determine your power range, keep it lower, drive it in that range, and have lots of fun for a long time!
finally some people giving sensible advice thanks
that will most likely be the route i will go, i still have alot to learn about cam's themself though...i have no idea what would be moderate, or otherwise.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Teching In

I've seen cams in LS1's with 80-100k on them with no issues other than normal wear and tear. It all comes down to two things. Proper install with the correct parts and how you drive the car. If you dog it constantly then it will wear out quicker. Same thing with a stock LS1, if you hammer it all the time it will wear quicker. Put everything in correctly and hammer it in moderation and you should have plenty of miles of smiles.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

As long as some parts of the cam are circles and some parts are oval's, we're doing okay.