Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my Heads/Cam plan.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Critique my Heads/Cam plan.

I have a '98 TA A4 w/3.23's. Basically, my motor is stock w/a lid and free mods. Currently has a 100 dry shot. Yank SY3500/1.6STR TC. That's it for major mods. It's a second vehicle, daily driver is a '00 Silverado.

I'm not trying to break any HP/TRQ records. I just want to see fairly sizable N/A gains without spending a fortune. I plan to install all the stuff myself, and have a local shop tune it for me.

Go ahead and make fun of me. I can take it. Please tell me if i'm missing something critical.

I want to get all this stuff new, exept the LS6 Intake, which i'm gonna try to get used/save a few bucks over what the new ones run ($400ish).

I've been reasearching this for a week or so, and here's my plan:

-Pacesetter LT's
-TSP's ORY pipe
-TSP's 228/228 .588/.588 114 cam
-Ported and polished #835 casting heads. (ported and polished *stage 1ish* by FFHP in KY)
-TSP's dual spring kit if they don't come with the heads.

Then in the next month or two, i'm looking to get my hands on a used LS6 intake. I'm also planning on getting some Used 99/00 valve covers (so they fit the heads).

I'd kinda like to get everything in the car and the kinks worked out by mid spring. Did I miss anything huge? I'm kinda new to the internal engine modding thing, but i've had the nitrous bottle on my car for a little over 2 years, and I'm thinking it's time to spend the dough and move to more permanent HP.

Thanks alot for anyone that can reassure me or inform me of something i've missed.

Matt

Last edited by Ole1830; 12-25-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:30 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

trying over here now are we

i dont see pushrods on the list, get those as well. also, you dont need 99/00 specific valve covers. any 99+ center bolt from any genIII engine will work.

if you can i'd try and get the intake now, or wait till you have the intake installl everything before the tune. you'll be giving up ~20rwhp minus the intake.

ask if the heads have been milled and what springs if any come with them.

other then that it looks good
Old 12-25-2004, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
trying over here now are we

i dont see pushrods on the list, get those as well. also, you dont need 99/00 specific valve covers. any 99+ center bolt from any genIII engine will work.

if you can i'd try and get the intake now, or wait till you have the intake installl everything before the tune. you'll be giving up ~20rwhp minus the intake.

ask if the heads have been milled and what springs if any come with them.

other then that it looks good
Appriciate your help elsewhere, J. I'm the type that tries to max out input from folks that know more than me before spending money.

I'm not gonna tear down the car until I have all the parts. I'm planning on buying everything new except the Valve covers/Ls6 intake. I'm in no hurry to get it done, I just wanna do it right, so I don't have to do it again.

Taking notes on what you suggested, thanks again for your help.

Matt
Old 12-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Launching!

May wanna look into a new oil pump, and timing chain while you have it apart...both of which you can order from TSP when you order the cam. Are you in KY? Just wondering b/c your gettin your heads from FFHP and their only a little ways from me...if you are who's gonna tune it for you?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Suspended Sponsor Account

I see you have N2O on the car currently. I would recommend going to the 5.3L Stage 2 heads, a custom cam designed for the heads and N2O friendly(something like a 228/234 114LSA). We can provide you a heads/cam/headers/pushrods package for under $2400.00 shipped. We can also provide the oil pump and timing chain. Give us a call!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ForceFed HP
I see you have N2O on the car currently. I would recommend going to the 5.3L Stage 2 heads, a custom cam designed for the heads and N2O friendly(something like a 228/234 114LSA). We can provide you a heads/cam/headers/pushrods package for under $2400.00 shipped. We can also provide the oil pump and timing chain. Give us a call!
Thanks for the suggestion. The whole reason i'm going with Heads/Cam is to use less/no nitrous. I'm not looking to put down any more than 420-450, cuz I've heard that's what the fuel system will support, etc.

Matt
Old 12-26-2004, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Madair09
May wanna look into a new oil pump, and timing chain while you have it apart...both of which you can order from TSP when you order the cam. Are you in KY? Just wondering b/c your gettin your heads from FFHP and their only a little ways from me...if you are who's gonna tune it for you?
Thanks for the idea. :grin: I'll definately do the oil pump/timing chain since i'll be pretty much there allready.

I'm in the Phx, AZ area. I'm going with the FFHP heads, b/c I found a good deal on a set that's been sitting in someone's garage for a while, and he's tired of looking at them (never installed on the car).

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into buying LS1edit and tackling the tuning myself, but i'm still undecided at this point whether or not i'm gonna try to tackle that.

Matt