Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie heads/cam install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default newbie heads/cam install

i want to know how hard it is for a person to install heads and cam on a camaro who has no experience working on cars...is it feasible...all i ever see is people doing it that know some stuff...i mean i know what most everything is..but i'm not sure if i'll be able to do this...it sounds a little tough...i need to hear feedback from people in my situation...it would be nice to save 1500 on an install...also what is the typical time for doing the entire project...i'm guessing 15-20 hours? anything else i need to know please list

kevin

edit: i did read the posts down below and searched...i just want more info...and to answer the question of can a newbie to engine work do this?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2

Old 01-12-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you mechanically inclined? Have you ever spun a wrench before? Have you done any simple mods yourself? If you really have no experience working on cars, you should atleast have someone you can call in case you ned to be bailed out. I think as long as youre mechanically inclined, and you follow the directions exactly, you shouldnt have much trouble. There is alot of grunt work, remember that. If youre really as newbie as you make yourself out to be, i wouldnt plan on 15 - 20 hours. I would double or triple that estimate. My buddy and I did our first cam swap (his car) and it easily took longer than 20 hours, although it was outside in the brutal cold, so things went slowly. All in all, internal engine stuff isnt any more difficult to work on, You just need to keep things clean, and follow directions exactly.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only advice i can give you is to not get scared or intimadaded. My GF helped me. I was a little intimadaded but onces i got started i go over it.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok...well i can turn a wrench haha...i know what you mean...i did all the mods in my sig to my old ws6 except for widening the wheels and i don't know how to weld...so the exhaust fab was done by someone here in town...obviously...so whatever you think from that...i didn't find any of that TOO difficult...the headers did take awhile though...internal stuff just seems A LOT more complicated
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, internal engine mods are intimidating until the first time you crack an engine open. After doing the mods in your sig, I would say youre well prepared for this job. Just take your time and follow the JMX howto, and youre golden. I would still allow atleast 3 full days for the install, but hopefully youll only need two.

-Tony
Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

777, you just need to take it easy and remember to pay attention to details. if you follow JMX's guides, you should be good to go. swapping heads is pretty easy, its the cam swap thats the beast. i didn't have any mechanical experience except workin on M1A2 Abrams tanks from the army, and I just rebuilt half a motor. Just remember where all the bolts go and make sure to keep junk out of the motor.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:27 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by goober35
what he said
Old 01-13-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
i didn't have any mechanical experience except workin on M1A2 Abrams tanks from the army, and I just rebuilt half a motor.
And Ive been trusting every word you said for years!!!

j/k
Old 01-13-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

haha yeah i know about ls1howto i guess it just seems intimidating because i have never opened up and engine...i guess they seem a lot more complicated than they really are?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

on a scale of 1-10 of hardest things to install on a car its probably an 8-9 whereas headers are about a 6...its just time consuming and even moreso if you dont have the correct tools...it took myself and a friend about 15hrs over 5 days to get it done but like others it was done outside, IMO if you take your time and have the correct tools its not really that bad but have some heat packs for your back and legs handy.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
And Ive been trusting every word you said for years!!!

j/k
I have plenty of experience swapping out $2 million dollar optical units, and $400,000 gun tubes, million dollar engine and transmission packs......I've got plenty of wrench time. Just may not all be on LS1's....or cars at all for that matter LOL!

Before the Army I had barely ever worked on anything. My buddy who was in my platoon was ASE certified and helped me out with my Formula WS6...I learned a TON from him. Once you learn how a motor works, and you understand the basics, the complicated **** falls into place.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did my first (and only, so far) cam swap back in November. I'm mechanically inclinded but I've never gone inside a motor before. But after reading post after post (read all the posts you can) and studying the LS1Howto write-up, I decided this was very doable. Besides, so many others have done this swap, why couldn't I? But I don't think you should try it unless you have some experience working on cars. You need to be very comfortable with your tools. If you get into trouble, it's your experience you will fall back on.

BTW, I think the hardest part was the radiator- freakin hose clamps and ****- PITA!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok so mixed views from all...some say it's fairly easy some say it isn't...i don't know what i'm going to do...
Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
ok so mixed views from all...some say it's fairly easy some say it isn't...i don't know what i'm going to do...
Sorry man, not trying to talk you out of it. If you feel you can do it then you probably can. Just take it slow and double check everything.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah...i don't know...i don't want to screw something up and end up paying big money because i did something wrong...i'm on a pretty strict budget...oh well i think i may still go ahead and try it...it won't be for a little while so we will see where i stand then
Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Heres what you do, this is your test. Change the #8 spark plug. If you can do that without going nuts you can do a cam swap. That is the hardest part. The plug and the springs on number 8 are the biggest challenge. Get a good spring tool and a buddy with little hands,lol. I didnt have either, so I bought a good spring tool and jammed my big meat hook in there. You can do it.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

note: this is a HEADS AND CAM swap....so i won't be changine springs...just taking off/out and putting in/on
Old 01-13-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i guess i will after 20-30k miles
Old 01-13-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like everyone else has said, if you follow the install guide, take your time, and pay attention to detail, it's not too hard. It's also critical to have the right tools, but there's no mystery there as they are all listed in the install guide. As a matter of fact, since you're doing heads to you can avoid one of the bigger pitfalls in a cam change: dropping a lifter. With the heads off, you can take the lifters out and not have to mess with pen magnets, rods, or luck. But when it comes down to it, if you are really not feeling comfortable with doing the install yourself, it might be best to leave it in someone else's hands. Good luck!

BTW- Don't forget, there's probably a few guy's from the board near you who have done at least one cam swap that wouldn't mind comin' by to lend a hand for a few beers. Check your regional forum!