Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clacking louder than ever!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my engine is a slapper but it takes like 5-6 minutes to quiet itself. That I can live with.

This morning I went out and started the car and I noticed it's clacking when I first start it.I never noticed it before, engine cold. It also varies in loudness while at a steady or varying engine speed. For instance, I'm driving along at 50 MPH in 5th @ 2000 rpm, engine clacks and then goes silent. When it's silent you can hear the valve train making the typical swishing sound. Which I kind of like. Then it's starts clacking, very loudly, will last for a few seconds or minutes and then fade, any rpm below 4000 and then the exhaust drounds out any noise!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jub jub
Has anyone...anyone at all ever got rid of the clacking after a cam install?

After having a Comp XER cam installed in my Z06, it's clacking to "beat the band"! It's very annoying and I know it's not normal because a friend's exact same set-up doesn't clack like mine. Only does it after the engine gets warm!

I've had the O-ring TSB performed but that didn't do anything. I'm so pissed off I could just throw this engine in the dump and start over.

BTW, before anyone says it has to do with the install, I will say that it clacked before the cam install, but not near as loud. The cam install was professionally performed by NLP so I know that's not a problem. I think it has to with a faulty lifter or insufficient oil pressure to one or more lifters. Who knows, it's one of the great mysteries of life.

Sorry for the rant but I just had to get this off my chest!
Getting the preload right, changing rods to a different length if necessary etc. are all important to the correct setup.

To begin with, do you have good oil pressure (checked with a mecanical gauge)?

Quick Reply: Clacking louder than ever!