Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rings for diamond pistons? and Q about piston pins

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rings for diamond pistons? and Q about piston pins

I am gunna buy some Diamond pistons next week and I was wondering what rings I should go with. I thought about the Diamonds but then I was thinking that there must be a better set of rings for less than 200 bucks.

I want to spray the engine with a 200-300 shot of nitrous. Its going to be a 4.00 bore(I don't want to go 4.030 yet) x 4.00 stroke. Which creates a small problem b/c the pistons arent a stocked item, but I guess I can wait for a good product.

Anyone tried the Total Seal Gapless rings?

Do you guys know if an Eagle rod will work with these pistons #11518? On their website it says they are a .945 pin diameter, but I was told that the eagles are a .927 pin diameter. SO does that mean I'll have to specify a .927 when ordering them?

TIA guys!

Josh S.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just tell Diamond to make sure it's a .927. And tell them to make sure one piston is clearanced for the #8, and clearly marked as the #8 piston. Ask me how I know lol
Old 01-20-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

.927 is standard small block pin diameter. And yes, you need to make sure that's what you're getting from Eagle. The Diamond Pro selects are a good ring, but there are other options. I'm using Childs & Albert ZGS series.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by The Guy in MY 99TA
I am gunna buy some Diamond pistons next week and I was wondering what rings I should go with. I thought about the Diamonds but then I was thinking that there must be a better set of rings for less than 200 bucks.

I want to spray the engine with a 200-300 shot of nitrous. Its going to be a 4.00 bore(I don't want to go 4.030 yet) x 4.00 stroke. Which creates a small problem b/c the pistons arent a stocked item, but I guess I can wait for a good product.

Anyone tried the Total Seal Gapless rings?

Do you guys know if an Eagle rod will work with these pistons #11518? On their website it says they are a .945 pin diameter, but I was told that the eagles are a .927 pin diameter. SO does that mean I'll have to specify a .927 when ordering them?

TIA guys!

Josh S.
Josh,
The 11518 will work with a Eagle h beam connecting rod. Their website has a typo on the wrist pin size. The 11518 comes with a .927" wrist pin, not the .945". So you will be fine using your Eagle rod. Also the total seal rings are very good. You might even want to look at their "TNT" rings witch are designed to handle a lot of nitrous. If you plan on spraying your car with 250+ that might be the way you would want to go. Remember though that the shelf stock set of pistons is only rated for 200hp of nitrous. You can spray more at them but you will need to have a really good tune up. If you are considering spraying more on a normal basis I would also say to look into a custom piston from them. If you need any help choosing the correct pistons and rings, feel free to give me a call. I used to work for Diamond and created there LS1 piston line up. So I can put you into the right one. Good luck with your project.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

bravo..... thanks I had almost ordered those pistons earlier and he told me they were out of stock and I didn't I decided to wait until I can get my new block in and have it honed and all clearances checked. So I know to make sure that they are clearanced before I have then sent here.

Chris.... I might give you a call sometime next week and we'll discuss that piston and ring stuff. Until then I'm gunna keep an eye open for parts to arrive.

I just order my block, rods, crank, ls2 intake w/ rails a little while ago.

Josh S.

Last edited by The Guy in MY 99TA; 01-21-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by The Guy in MY 99TA
bravo..... thanks I had almost ordered those pistons earlier and he told me they were out of stock and I didn't I decided to wait until I can get my new block in and have it honed and all clearances checked. So I know to make sure that they are clearanced before I have then sent here.

Chris.... I might give you a call sometime next week and we'll discuss that piston and ring stuff. Until then I'm gunna keep an eye open for parts to arrive.

I just order my block, rods, crank, ls2 intake w/ rails a little while ago.

Josh S.

Give me a call when ever you would like. More than willing to help.

Thanks