Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocket scientists' baffled..no oil pressure 1 min. then full the next!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rocket scientists' baffled..no oil pressure 1 min. then full the next!!

got a serious ongoing problem here..2 mondays ago i pulled into burger king..and had perfect oil pressure etc.*(i watch my gauges religiously) i killed it went in and ate and came back out..no oil pressure so i killed it instantly.. have it towed to a local shop cause i am way out of town..mechanic calls me on my way home and asks me what i have been drinking because he cranked it and it had full pressure continuously!! so i go pick it up and drive it the whole day the next day then that night i killed it with full pressure when i pulled into whataburger and few minutes later crank it up and have no oil pressure again i am still out of town so i run to wal mart and get a new filter because i have heard that wix filters sometimes collapsed..replace the oil filter in the whataburger parking lot still no pressure so i have it towed back to the shop to have the oil pump replaced because i thought that was what it was for sure..still having same problem after replacing oil pump and pickup tube!! so i think maybe i spun a cam bearing and it is not lined up right sometimes then sometimes it is?? so i have the mechanic check the cam bearings they are fine checked and replaced the main bearings they all looked fine but we had a spare new set so we replaced them anyway.. still same problem.. gonna pull engine and strip apart now unless you guys may have had a similar experience and know what to do... the rotating assembly was replaced with 383 kit in august it now has about 8000 miles on it and oil replaced at 2500miles each time.. havent found any trash any time i have replaced the oil the engine has been burning lots of oil though i dont know if this has anything to do with it but it has been burning about 2qts. per 1000 miles!!! any ideas let me know thanks.

ps also replaced sensor and there is valve clatter if you let it idle long (duh!!) so just to let you know its not the sensor its really happening also put manual pressure gauge on and the low end has 50lbs pressure none to the valve train..
Old 01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe a shop rag is getting sucked onto the oil pickup some times and not other times.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

that oil pan has been off many times now and the pickup tube has been replaced..please help..that is absolutely not what is happening dude..
Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I would guess its the sensor. Replace the sensor and see what it does. you could also have a bad wire someplace. Either going to your gauge or your pressure sensor.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sensor would be my first suspect.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98TXFBODY
I would guess its the sensor. Replace the sensor and see what it does. you could also have a bad wire someplace. Either going to your gauge or your pressure sensor.
probably the sensor.
I would hook a manual gauge to it to test the pressure, just to be sure.

If your burning that much oil, you really might want to look into pulling it and putting some rings in it.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

try a manual pressure gauge and watch that, if that goes down then you have interal problems, but if that shows good you have a electrcial problem
Old 01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 qts per 1000 isnt bad
porsches are within specs at 2 qts per 600 miles I have customers that would kill to get 400 more miles out of 2 qts
Old 01-27-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ta12sec
2 qts per 1000 isnt bad
porsches are within specs at 2 qts per 600 miles I have customers that would kill to get 400 more miles out of 2 qts
The LS1 isnt a Porsche motor. Mine burned about a quart every 1000 miles before I rebuilt it, now it dosent burn a drop 20,000 miles later.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Launching!

as i said before i have replaced the sensor and i have plugged up a manual gauge.. i had pressure on the low end and none on the top end because the valves were clattering and were getting no oil only thing i can think of would be one of the oil races is plugged thats all i havent tried...
Old 01-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Dude, I can't believe you haven't figured this out ... it's so obvious. Look at where it keeps happening ... quit hanging out at burger joints and see if the problem goes away.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Dude, I can't believe you haven't figured this out ... it's so obvious. Look at where it keeps happening ... quit hanging out at burger joints and see if the problem goes away.
That's what I was thinking.

Maybe one of the oil passages is clogged up
Old 01-28-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
lol o man maibe his car is telling him somthing about clogd passages, you better get the massege man before you kill you car.

Seriously did you put on a double timing chain resently? maibe a spacer is blocking one of the galley lines. If you not getting any oil up top, but you got it in the bottom than it gota be one of those two lines running through the block.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Launching!

like my arteries will be if i keep hanging out at whataburger..haha.. anyway.. the oil passage is all that i can think of but also you have to take into consideration..those passages are flowing with about 50lbs of oil pressure when you first crank up...if there is something in there that can hang on tightly enough to not let 50psi push it on out then i dont know what to do..i mean i know that a large shop air compressor can put up about what 2-300 lbs of air pressure? still i dont know if that will work..what may be done is when i pull the engine apart i will blow thru each oiler port and see if they all blow thru and if i find a plugged one i may have to run something down in there..who knows...keep the ideas comin
Old 01-28-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did your pressure read when you tested it with a mechanical gauge? Also does it still go up when you rev the engine?
I was un clear on whether or not you ever saw zero pressure with the mechanical gauge?

My thought is that you have a blockage somewhere in the oil galley. Either way, I would get it out of the car and tear her down just to be safe.

If the problem still persists afterward the only option is that you have an electrical short between the sensor and your gauge.

Nick
Old 01-28-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fozziejared
like my arteries will be if i keep hanging out at whataburger..haha.. anyway.. the oil passage is all that i can think of but also you have to take into consideration..those passages are flowing with about 50lbs of oil pressure when you first crank up...if there is something in there that can hang on tightly enough to not let 50psi push it on out then i dont know what to do..i mean i know that a large shop air compressor can put up about what 2-300 lbs of air pressure? still i dont know if that will work..what may be done is when i pull the engine apart i will blow thru each oiler port and see if they all blow thru and if i find a plugged one i may have to run something down in there..who knows...keep the ideas comin
yea that is alot of pressure for somethign to take, on thing that will take it are the spacers for a double timign chain, you haven't put one on resently have you???
Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Launching!

no its still all stock..also i never saw zero pressure with the mech. gauge on the low end..just up to the valve train..no oil to the valves.. they start clattering..dont know of anything else but to tear it down and go through it..thought it could be the cam bearings..that made the most sense of all but i guess that wasnt the problem either..who knows.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fozziejared
no its still all stock..also i never saw zero pressure with the mech. gauge on the low end..just up to the valve train..no oil to the valves.. they start clattering..dont know of anything else but to tear it down and go through it..thought it could be the cam bearings..that made the most sense of all but i guess that wasnt the problem either..who knows.
ok take off your front main seal, and take off the timing chain, oil pump all that good stuff, and check out the oil passages rignt behind the timing chain, if no oil is getting up top then they could very well be gettign cloged. or just go ahead and tear the whole thing down, never hurt anything but the pocket and time. lol
Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

does anyone think i should go ahead and replace the rings too while if have the engine pulled?? this engine only has about 8000 miles on it but i guess they just didnt seal well or anything.. i did a leakdown test and none of the air leaked off but i dont know what could be goin on for me to be losing 2qts per 1000 miles?? i never see it smoke or anything.. i guess that it is just disappearing..haha..
Old 01-28-2005, 01:35 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me I would tear it down and replace the rings and check all the oil passages again with air or what ever and then put it all back together and don't use synthetic oil to break it in if you did. It is just a theory and I am sure lots of people have broke these motors in on synthetic, but I would just put a few hard miles on it with the dino oil and then switch to synthetic. I have done this a few times and it worked out good for me so it is just a thought to try. Another place you could be loosing oil is your valve guides or seals if you had any head work done recently ? Good luck sorry to hear about your troubles.