Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So whats the opinion on Rockers & Lifters now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So whats the opinion on Rockers & Lifters now...

Ok, so trends come and go, so I figure I would see what the latest and greatest is and maybe we can dispell some of the myths.

Rocker Arms, for the longest time YTs were the rage, affordable and "wont spill bearings" and "gives more power". But reading thread upon thread later, they are heavier, and really had little benefit over stock. Then came HS and the same drama followed. Where do we stand with our mighty LSx and an affordable non-adjustable rockers? I see little feedback on PP shaft mounts. I have considered getting the HS modified Stock Rockers from Nate. Input please.

And Lifters, same thing. Comp R were the craze until ppl started having issues with setting the pre-load and it seems that there are too many different suggestions on how to set pre-load on the same rocker. How far has the stock rockers been pushed? I am thinking of staying with stock for the ease of set up, but of course I dont want a timebomb waiting in there either.

Well, lets talk.

Charlie
Old 01-29-2005, 07:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I using jessels with a set of crane lifters for my new setup
Old 01-29-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a customer that did some lifter testing just recently where the Morels were worth 21HP over another brand and the stability of the valvetrain was increased by 1000 rpm. Hyd roller. He is sending the results to me next week.

Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cstraub
I had a customer that did some lifter testing just recently where the Morels were worth 21HP over another brand and the stability of the valvetrain was increased by 1000 rpm. Hyd roller. He is sending the results to me next week.

Chris
do you know the setup they were testing? mild street/strip or something more radical?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I do, but I will let him post the info. I will say it is not a LS1 based engine, but it is GM. The engines were testing some new cam profiles and the valvetrain was becoming vary unstable at at 5400 rpm.

Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rockers, if you have the budget, I would go Jesel adjustables.

Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default an opinion

I have a set of HS rockers that I will install when I do my H/C setup. The recent issue with the rockers is known, the only thing I don't understand is why no one has looked at what happened to the two instances I know about and asked "why" instead of "what the hell is wrong with the rockers?".

It seems to me that the rocker roller contacting the rocker body (causing damage) is a symptom of the rocker roller not being parallel to the valve tip....if it is not it would "slide" to one side or the other due to the side loading on the roller. The possible cause of that could be varied, from valves/guides not perfectly perpendicular to the head surface, or other machined inaccuracy. Of course, the stock rocker would not reflect the same condition because there is nothing to "slide" and cause contact.

I am very curious to hear others' opinions on this as well.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

T&D shaft mount......
Old 01-29-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frodo84
I have a set of HS rockers that I will install when I do my H/C setup. The recent issue with the rockers is known, the only thing I don't understand is why no one has looked at what happened to the two instances I know about and asked "why" instead of "what the hell is wrong with the rockers?".

It seems to me that the rocker roller contacting the rocker body (causing damage) is a symptom of the rocker roller not being parallel to the valve tip....if it is not it would "slide" to one side or the other due to the side loading on the roller. The possible cause of that could be varied, from valves/guides not perfectly perpendicular to the head surface, or other machined inaccuracy. Of course, the stock rocker would not reflect the same condition because there is nothing to "slide" and cause contact.

I am very curious to hear others' opinions on this as well.
It would seem you're right about the pedestal not being square. My heads were checked and it could not be seen, even though my HS rollers wore to one side.
It does show on the stock rockers. You can see it in the picture. I replaced the rollers with HS' rebuilt stockers. My feeling is that it's too much of a crapshot to expect the heads to all be perfect.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

I recently had to make this decision on my 402 and I stuck with Crane OEM and new stock GM rockers.

Noone has shown enough advantage with roller rockers over the tried and true GMs to take the chance, so I will be conservative.

Perry
Old 01-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got 15,000 miles on a set of YT rockers, and just took them all out for inspection. They look great and all still move smoothly on their bearings. These rockers have a roller tip that the stockers don't have, and also have larger fulcrum bearings than the stockers. A true shaft mount set of ajustable rockers would be nicer, but far more expensive.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

I installed the YT's when I did my H&C package and never had an issue. Work great. Hope to get Jesel adjustables but I don't have money to burn yet.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jesel SS rockers and comp 850's here.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:43 AM
Restricted User

Well, Sounds like Jesel is winning the popularity contest, but havent heard to much about any other more affordable. Yes YT's are nice, my point was they are heavier and have shown no noticeable HP gain in all the independent Dyno's. They may provide a more stable platform at higher RPM than stock, and Last much longer. Which Jesels are the non-adjustable and opinions on them please. Also, Comp 850 lifters? Are those the stock replacement? I know some Ls1 were assembled with crane some with comp, hence the "JPR Lifter Tool" misfit in conversion year cars.
Basically I am getting ready to assmeble a new engine, and have heard too much complaing about the Comp 'R' lifters, and nothing bad about the OE ones to justify the headache of setup and additional $20, no I am not a cheapass, just trying to be sensible and reasonable. Lifters, I originally wanted on the YT bandwagon but waited and now I am rather glad.
Anyone running the Crane Shaft, PP Shaft? And again info on Jesel non-adjustables please.
Thanks

Charlie
Old 01-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Restricted User

anyone else???
Old 02-01-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock lifters seem to work fine and the same with the stock rockers, but I am going to try the modded ones from Nate
Old 02-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Restricted User

I am looking into the Nates HS Modded stockers, and after talking to Drew778, he found a YT C-Clip in his oil pan when he swapped shortblock, so kind of makes it hard to say any of the current ones are great, exception being Jesel. I just dont want the hassle of adjusting more **** than necessary I guess I am lazy like that.
Will be looking at the Jesel SS series this week, will see.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I have Crane Gold Rockers and Crane OEM style lifters going on with the switch to the Rapid Dominator C3 cam...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Jesel vs T&D....both are expensive, so which ones are best? Can you buy a set for under $600?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Harland sharp 1.7's and comp R lifters here!! with no problems to date this is also with comp 977 springs and when my car get driven it gets spun into the danger zone