Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gotten low latley, slight noise + Patman advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Oil pressure gotten low latley, slight noise + Patman advice needed.

background:

so here's the deal, i replaced a bent pushrod, drove 4 miles and broke the rear end, got it together and broken in, and got a sound almost like when i had the bent pushrod (but all were fine). oil pressure is starting to be on the lowside, so i tell myself it's a lifter (100k miles on motor).

i tear down the motor to the shortblock and replace the lifters w/ comp 850's, thunder chromoly pushrods, PRC dual springs w/ Ti retainers, new seals, and GM bolts/gaskets. (planned on a camswap this summer )

car runs great and doesnt have the intermittant puffy idle sound (like its from one cylinder) anymore. the oil pressure used to stick at around 38-40 lbs idling warm up untill about 1k miles ago around the time when the pushrod bent. at this point, the pressure is dropping to 25-28 lbs at idle after its warm. also sounds like some slight noise is coming from the motor when the oil pressure gets that low.

when the pushrod bent, it extended the pushrod hole in the head a bit, which undoubtedly landed some aluminum shavings in the bottom end. i had been planning on an oil change but kept putting it off (had to break in rear end ya know), so i AM CHANGING it tomorrow, with crossed fingers.

questions:

can anyone tell me what might be causing this oil pressure shortage?

can anyone recommed a good dinosaur oil to boost the pressure? (running 10w-30 valvoline) or maby i should START running synthetic (german castrol is available to me). which weight (of either)?

side note: i'm pretty bummed out about this whole deal, my car (if you've read my past threads) is offering an EMENSE amount of resistance in the effort of running/driving right. i've spent around 5600$ since mid-december and am totally sickened. i'll be really sick if the motor goes tomorrow
Old 03-16-2005, 04:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think changing brands or viscosities of oil is going to solve your problem here. It's possible you need a new oil pump now.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a oil filter inspection by cutting 1 in half and pulling out the media.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:56 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Patman
I don't think changing brands or viscosities of oil is going to solve your problem here. It's possible you need a new oil pump now.
thats what's been lurking in the back of my mind, along with the possibility of junked rod/cam/main bearings

Originally Posted by Z06 Steve
do a oil filter inspection by cutting 1 in half and pulling out the media.
i'll do that today, i'm off to the autoparts store

thanks for the advice guys, i was planning on doing a cam/timing chain/oil pump/pulley swap this summer when i scrounged up some more cash, but i guess i'll put the pulley/oil pump on now. this gives me an even better reason to buy the ASP pulley from the group purchase

are you guys pretty sure that oil pressure dropping alone can cause a little noise, and not HAVE to be a bearing or somthing?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are going to do the pump now, you might as well do the cam as well. You will save yourself a whole bunch of time if done together
Old 03-16-2005, 05:37 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
if you are going to do the pump now, you might as well do the cam as well. You will save yourself a whole bunch of time if done together
dont have enough money

i'm a full time college student (engineering), and am WAY to lazy for a job lol. its starting to feel like a full time job, just keeping my car on the road

my rear end wasn't planned, so my funds have dipped to record lows.

anyway, i changed the oil today, and the pressure came up to almost normal, i'm still hearing a little bit of noise, but i'm going to blame that on my PRC valvetrain (added to my depleted funds). i was pretty positive i had a collapsed lifter so i replaced them and the springs at the same time (for planned cam swap).
Old 03-16-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know what its like... full time college (engineering aswell ) BUT i work full time too... get this, spring break i got conned into working like 49 hours ah well, more money to throw into the pit.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:13 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by LSONE
i know what its like... full time college (engineering aswell ) BUT i work full time too... get this, spring break i got conned into working like 49 hours ah well, more money to throw into the pit.
you're the man! i cant wait for this summer so i can start working again, college is so stressfull for me, i've never really made anything less than a B and would like to keep it that way through college, but it's going to be hard

my oil pressure is looking AWESOME, i cant believe a simple oil/filter swap brought my oil pressure back up. its still making a bit of noise that seems to be resonating down the headers because it seems like i can hear it from around the collectors/beginning of true duals (on both sides). i think this could be due to my PRC dual springs, i've heard they can be a bit on the sewing machine side in the sound dept.

i also am running 7.4" pushrods, i know i should have 7.35's, but i'm planning ahead for the cam swap this summer. i figured the lifters would soak up .050" untill then could this be causing a bit of noise? i figured a tight valvetrain like this would have LESS noise, but my thinking may be bass-ackwards.