Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polly mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spohn mounts raised the motors mounting position, but besides that I wouldn't think it would be possible to run a solid and a poly. If you want less engine rock use the poly on both sides.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's the tranny mount that causes more vibration in the cabin. The motor mounts will reduce vibrations in the cabin. I got the prothane from TR and there is absolutely no downside to them (other than the install, they are a b****). Great mod, wish I had done it sooner to stop my y from banging.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGenWs6Owner
It's the tranny mount that causes more vibration in the cabin. The motor mounts will reduce vibrations in the cabin. I got the prothane from TR and there is absolutely no downside to them (other than the install, they are a b****). Great mod, wish I had done it sooner to stop my y from banging.

mine were a bitch to do and i diddnt have any exhaust manifolds/headers on it! i found it easy to use a **** load of extensions and fish them thru the steering in order to get to the bolts that go into the block easily. i diddnt have to remove my A/C compressor either, i just unbolted it from the motor, then unbolted the pedestal from the k-member and remove the whole thing thru where the header runs.

WARNING - when removing the alternator, be VERY carefull with the exciter wire that plugs into the back. its a big black connector with one *TINY* red wire that like to rip out of the connector. mine did this, because i diddnt even see it plugged in when i was trying to remove the alternator. i had to take the plug apart, and re-attatch the wire inside of it.

BTW - i've found a phone book works great for supporting the engine/trans w/ a jack it doesnt marr the aluminum and gives you an extra 2 inches or so to play with
Old 04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

BTW - i've found a phone book works great for supporting the engine/trans w/ a jack it doesnt marr the aluminum and gives you an extra 2 inches or so to play with
that's a good idea. i never thought of that before. i allways used a block to give more height on the jack but this sounds like a much better idea

and i've got probably 10 old phone books laying around, i guess i could add another 20 inches of height if i wanted to
Old 04-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Default your cool

Originally Posted by Red 01SS
uuummmm....I think I got mine from autozone..HAHA
I thought you were being a smart ***.....Like,go to autozone dude.Sorry if you were offended.I would spend a couple of extra dollars in shipping for better ones though......thanx for your input...Respectfully yours,DEEEEZNUTS
Old 04-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

I installed Prothanes motor mounts (Thunder Racing) when I did my header install. I had no Y pipe banging problems before I put them in, and I still don't have problems. I don't notice additional vibrations, but it definately firmed up the motor. That motor flex/twist whatever- has to be wasted power in my mind... I reccomend anyone putting headers on to install them at that time (after the exhaust is on, it's more of a PITA install).
Old 04-15-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the TR motor mounts.I had a hell of a time to get them to line up.
WAY stiffer.It shakes the car.

I like 'em!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99f1
I thought you were being a smart ***.....Like,go to autozone dude.Sorry if you were offended.I would spend a couple of extra dollars in shipping for better ones though......thanx for your input...Respectfully yours,DEEEEZNUTS
deeznuts huh? Mature
Old 04-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Default sure

Originally Posted by Red 01SS
deeznuts huh? Mature
My name is dj...so yea deeznuts,Mature or not, if it wasnt intended to you,you'd probably be laughing.No sense in going back and forth takin shots at each other...all I wanted was some input on pollymounts,not all that "I told ya so" ****.I'm in here to get help or give help.So I apoligize if I assumed that you were being a smart *** earlier...........have a good summer in your ss...dj
Old 04-16-2005, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir. You do the same.

Chris
Old 04-16-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i always refer folks to Spohn performance ... they are around 38-39 bucks and they will ship fast

poly motor mounts will not cause more vibration, in fact quite the contrary from the cars that i have done

they really tighten up the whole feel of the car when driving it
Old 04-16-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Does any sponsors carry Spohn Poly MOTOR mounts (other than Spohn itself)?
Are spohns better or more fitting than Prothane?

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 04-16-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:25 PM

AutoZone. I brok my rear sway bar end links whil doing a rear end swap this week and found the Energy suspention ones at AutoZone. they also had Energy Suspention Poly engine & tranny mounts cheap.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just installed a poly tranny mount today, and yes there is more vibration, i was acctually gonna reasearch it on here, but then i saw this thead, and found out its universal with poly mounts...it is alot more stiff though and it feels good...my shifter actually sits up alil higher now as well, which is cool b/c its a LSS and used to sit inside the console hole, now it sits right above it...just a cool lil bonus i guess...but i have the vibration as well, and the one i got was from autozone and its a energy sus. one...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Does any sponsors carry Spohn Poly MOTOR mounts (other than Spohn itself)?
Are spohns better or more fitting than Prothane?
I dont think Spohn makes a poly motor mount. I just refer people to them to buy the Prothane poly mounts. They make a very nice solid tubular mount if thats what your after.