Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple questions with this new 6.0 iron block

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Couple questions with this new 6.0 iron block

I just got a 6.0L 370 iron block (bored .060 over) and I have a couple questions/concerns on swapping it with my stock 346.

1) It seems as if there are only 2 holes for the alternator mounts, rather than 3, ron at GMMG said the block needed to be drilled for this but that it had already been done? Do I just use the two holes and neglect the third?

2) I'm unsure which head gaskets I should use for this. Like I said it's a 6.0 block bored .060 with LQ9 heads. Also, will they be available from GM? If not, where do I get them?

3) The valley cover on the new 6.0 block has what looks like an aluminum coolant line protruding from it (much like what u'd connect a coolant line to on the TB). Is this actually a coolant line? If so, how do I accomodate this?

Any info on this would really help... I'd hate to have start modifying things right off the bat to make this fit.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I knew. I doing the same thing as you in a few weeks. I am waiting on mine. Looks like I will know the problems before I get mine so I can prepare for it.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:53 AM
9 Second Club

The gaskets will have to be ordered. Non GM. Cometic makes them and Felpro does also I believe. I would go with Cometics.

If it is at the front of the valley pan then it is your PCV system. It pulls the crankcase pressure out of the case. It will hook up to the intake with a pcv valve inline. I would also run a filter for that. It seems that oil can even get sucked that high up also and fill your intake with oil.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
The gaskets will have to be ordered. Non GM. Cometic makes them and Felpro does also I believe. I would go with Cometics.

If it is at the front of the valley pan then it is your PCV system. It pulls the crankcase pressure out of the case. It will hook up to the intake with a pcv valve inline. I would also run a filter for that. It seems that oil can even get sucked that high up also and fill your intake with oil.
Do any of our sponsors sell Cometics? And yes, it is at the front. So what you're saying is that now I will have a PCV from that valley cover to my intake? What about from the valve covers to the intake? What do I do with that hose now? Also, won't I still have the other hose that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the driver's side? This is quite confusing
Old 04-20-2005, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

GO TO Cometic.com. They are like 76.00 a piece
Old 04-20-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1) It seems as if there are only 2 holes for the alternator mounts, rather than 3, ron at GMMG said the block needed to be drilled for this but that it had already been done? Do I just use the two holes and neglect the third?

Your going to have drill and tap a hole for the third bolt for the alternator.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn man, he said I wouldn't have to do that.... either way, I'm still confused about the prior PCV explanation.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:43 AM
...with cheese.

60 over huh? You planning on running any kind of forced induction?
did you have the block sonic tested?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

No forced induction, but the guy who had it built for him was going to spray it a lot. I'm not sure if it was sonic tested. This engine was race prepped by Alan futral and only run 1300 miles by Ron at GMMG so I feel confident that I can trust it is a good block.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Damn man, he said I wouldn't have to do that.... either way, I'm still confused about the prior PCV explanation.
Go to http://www.ls1howto.com and look at the LS6 PCV conversion information. You have the LS6 type PCV on your 6.0.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The one I sold eo Armageddon only had 1 hole for the alternator bracket initially, being the bottom hole. You have to drill and tap the second hole which is up and to the right of the bottom hole. As for the third upper left hole, there's nothing you can do about that and you really don't need it. If I remember correctly there's a space there and you can't drill or tap anything. The 2 bolt holes will be fine. Oh almost forgot, there's a bolt hole on the drivers side of the blick that part of the bracketry connects to, you have to helicoil that hole if you want to use it because the hole is larger than actuall bolt that is supposed to go there. This is off of memory so I hope it helps.

-Sly
Old 04-20-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info Byter and Sly... that makes me feel a lot better now that I have some responses on how to go about dealing with these things that I'm not used to seeing.

Sly - keep the info coming as you remember it, I'll take all the hidden info you can provide
Old 04-20-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol no problem, I'll help in any way I can.

-Sly
Old 04-20-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You only need two bolt hole for the alternator bracket. The one on the bottom and the one on the top right. The one on the top right is the one that has to be drilled and tapped, but you mention this was already done. I will include a picture of that and the pcv setup off my ls6 valley cover. You can get the gaskets direct from cometic or go through thunder racing.
Attached Thumbnails Couple questions with this new 6.0 iron block-dsc01484.jpg   Couple questions with this new 6.0 iron block-dsc00931.jpg  
Old 04-20-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by strokedls1
You only need two bolt hole for the alternator bracket. The one on the bottom and the one on the top right. The one on the top right is the one that has to be drilled and tapped, but you mention this was already done. I will include a picture of that and the pcv setup off my ls6 valley cover. You can get the gaskets direct from cometic or go through thunder racing.
Thanks a lot. That helps me out a lot!