Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much oil pressure?

I have a TR224 + TEA Stg II heads on an otherwise stock motor and had/have an oil consumption problem for quite some time. I put the LS6 valley cover on it and noticed less consumption but still a little bit which I was willing to write off but the problem is that my oil pressure just seem to be through the roof.

On a cold start it's probably around 60-70 psi just idling, if I jumped on it I'm sure it would shoot up past 80 (the highest reading on the factory gauge cluster). Is this too much pressure?

My oil filler caps seem to be expanding and are often extremely difficult to remove however it's not blowing my dipstick out or anything so I don't know if pressure is the cause.

Should I run a catch-can setup or just install a breather... btw, can i install a breather with factory valve covers and without making any permanent modifications to them?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

you could get a breather that goes on the oil cap......i think thunder sells them.

Either way a catch can is always a good thing to have
Old 05-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

That sounds like a lot, I don't have an answer to that, but too bad you don't have an aftermarket gauge to use.