Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

422 ci start up, no oil pressure. How long to wait till the gauge moves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 422 ci start up, no oil pressure. How long to wait till the gauge moves?

ok, Im starting my tsp built 422, gave it about 30 seconds and no oil pressure, so i turned the motor off.

I heard it takes up to 4 minutes to get oil to the top of the engine so I didnt want to go ahead and pull out the valve covers to check since the motor hasnt been running for that long.

Fresh built motor first time to start, how long should i give it to run with 0 oil pressure? I checked the connection to the oil pressure switch and the lifters got quieter so im assuming the engine might be getting some oil..

What do you guys say ??

Mahmood
Old 05-14-2005, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We always unplug the coil packs then pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the motor over about 10 seconds at a time until the pressure shows up.(10 sec. on and 1 minute off)

Then hook everything back up and fire it up.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No way it takes up to 4 min. Mine was dead for about 15 seconds and that was the longest 15 sec of my life.

Disconnect the coils and crank it you should see oil pressure just with that. If not 2 possibilities:
1- your oil sending unit is fried
Or
2- your O-ring is messed up on reassembly, time to go back in there.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
No way it takes up to 4 min. Mine was dead for about 15 seconds and that was the longest 15 sec of my life.

Disconnect the coils and crank it you should see oil pressure just with that.

Not quite the same, but waiting what was probably only a few seconds after my cam swap (including oil pump) seemed like an eternity.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

ok, under the passenger side dash, looking at the wires of the gages that go to the PCM, which color wire is the oil pressure gage wire ???
Old 05-14-2005, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

ok forget the wiring question.. i just opened the driver side valve cover and the valve covers have no oil !!!!!!!!!!!! the heads are clean like new and i have tried cranking the motor for 10-seconds a couple of times after u guys suggested it with the fuel pump fuse out and the coils unplugged for almost 30 seconds and that didnt work either.

so i know its not an electrical problem. but i know i installed the oil pump correctly and the o-ring correctly as well, i thought the oring had only one way to go in and i torqued it correctly too..

so whats the deal with the oil still not under the drivers side valve covers? does it take longer for a fresh built motor for oil to get there or should i get started getting to the oil pump and the oring to check things out ??
Old 05-14-2005, 04:44 PM
DSG
10 Second Club

Make sure you put in the oil galley plug in the back of the block when you had it built. I forgot the plug and sure as **** no oil pressure.

The plug cost like $2 but you'll have to drop the tranny to make sure its there.

But start with the small things first. Make sure the pressure sending unit is good.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

right now i have pulled the valve covers off and cranked it some more times and i still dont see any oil getting to them.. i tried cranking for 10 - seconds about 4 times more and nothing..

could this oil galley plug be the reason for that? i thought we could still get oil to the valve covers atleast. what do u guys say ??
Old 05-14-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PurdueWS6

could this oil galley plug be the reason for that? i thought we could still get oil to the valve covers atleast. what do u guys say ??
Yes.

Time to pull it apart.

You're gonna fubar the bearings if you keep doing this.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

ok, i'll pull it apart tomorrow.
where exactly is this oil galley plug located and what do i have to drop to get to it ?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

First things first. You DID put oil in the crankcase correct?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

The oil gallery plug is on the back side of the motor, behind the rear cover, down near the pan. You have to pull the tranny to reveal the cover, then probably drop the oil pan to remove the rear cover. It's a white plunger with an O-ring on it. Piece of plastic thing. It's in a hole in the block. If you don't see it, then you need it.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine picked up pressure really quick. By the time I cranked and thought to look down, it was there. The oil plug is a white dumb bell shaped plug. I think you can drop the tranny and get the rear cover off without droping the oil pan. You will be able to see a round white dot on the drivers side/bottom if it's there. If not there will just be about a 1/2" hole back there.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the oil pump use spacers??? for a dble roller timing set?? if so, are the spacers in right?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

First thing i will check is the oil gallery plug, I don't recall ever plugging anything at install so it could be that. Another thing someone told me is the oil gallery freeze plug under the front cover? Which one is that and what does this one look like? I don't remember seeing anything there the was unplugged when i was installing the cam and the oil pump. Could that be also the reason??

Pulling out the transmission is ok no big deal to get to the rear engine cover but the front cover is the pain becoz i have the get the pulley out and then install a new crank bolt and try to get ahold of one of these here in the middle east if you can !!

dand35th, no oil pump spacers, single roller.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

Anyone on the oil gallery freeze plug and its location and what it looks like ??
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone on the oil gallery freeze plug and its location and what it looks like ??
The one in the back of the motor? Read the responses in the thread first. It's already been stated, and you should have started with the pump sending unit or the pump o-ring before dropping the transmission.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WstSidHomE
The one in the back of the motor? Read the responses in the thread first. It's already been stated, and you should have started with the pump sending unit or the pump o-ring before dropping the transmission.
I know the oil plug in the rear of the motor. and i thought it was just called the oil galley plug and i bought it today to install it in the rear and there is also another plug to the right of the oil pump, thats what i was reffering to and thought it was called the oil galley "freeze" plug. i dont know what its called anyway but would a new short block come with one of those or would i have to install it???? becoz i dont think i installed one there either !

i will get started on dropping the transmission in an hour and plug the rear oil galley, but do i also have to get a plug for the oil galley right of the oil pump under the front cover??
Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i will get started on dropping the transmission in an hour and plug the rear oil galley, but do i also have to get a plug for the oil galley right of the oil pump under the front cover??
All the "freeze" plugs should have been installed when the engine was at the machine shop. The rear plug is probablly your problem. Be sure to install the plug correctlly. The side with the seal faces out.

Originally Posted by WstSidHomE
If you would have read more carefully, you'd see that he already had the engine running multiple times and never got any oil to the top end. That deffinatlly rules out the oil sending unit, and 99% eliminates the o-ring since some pressure would have moved a little bit of oil to the top end.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
All the "freeze" plugs should have been installed when the engine was at the machine shop. The rear plug is probablly your problem. Be sure to install the plug correctlly. The side with the seal faces out.
Can anyone from Texas Speed confirm that??? I have the new 6.0 block would you have sent the shortblock with the front oil plug installed or should I have to start pulling out everything in the front to plug that as well??

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
If you would have read more carefully, you'd see that he already had the engine running multiple times and never got any oil to the top end. That deffinatlly rules out the oil sending unit, and 99% eliminates the o-ring since some pressure would have moved a little bit of oil to the top end.
Thanks Beast96Z for clarifying it to him !