Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X3 on a 112 with millled heads..P/V clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default G5X3 on a 112 with millled heads..P/V clearance?

I am having the motor rebuilt with valve reliefs pistons, but I am not sure of how much clearnce those will give me. The engine builder will be away for a couple of days, so I am just trying to decide on what to do..I currently have a brand new G5x2 cam, but am thinking of sending it back and getting a G5x3. Both would be on a 112. I have Absolute Speed stage 2 5.7 heads with 5 thousenths milled. The engine builder ordered me the pistons for the motor, and said that the compression would be around 10.4 to 1. I later found out that 11 to 1 would just as reliable and give you a little more power. Would we be able to mill the heads a lil more to get it to the compresion ratio that I want, but that will give us less clearance. I know it doesn't help the fact that I dont know what type of valve reliefs they are..Any advice. I will know in a couple of days when the guy is back, but I need to send the cam back ASAP to have the new one in time.
So overal, should I be ok with a little milled of the heads, on a 112 with my valve relief pistons? thanks

Oh yea, I will be using felpro gaskets, which I believe are .054. Not sure if thats their compressed number.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my AS heads were just about the same compression with just a clean up mill on them. i'm running the x3 on a 114 and have no clearance problems with my diamond pistons (-2cc valve reliefs in them). i'm sure it will be fine to mill and run the x3.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have AS 5.3's with 2.04 intake valves, milled .030 with a g5X3 on 112. With stock MLS gaskets, it took a piston notch on the stock pistons for the intake valve. With aftermarket pistons and probably a 2-3cc valve relief, you should be able to at least mill to the same amount , if not more.