Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP PLEASE 346 rebuild or buy 402???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEED HELP PLEASE 346 rebuild or buy 402???

Looking for a budget motor. Wanna stay all N/A and make power for the meanwhile. I changed the oil on my car about a week ago and took a piece of metal out of the drain hole. The piece was so big that i had to use needle nose pliers to force it out of there. The oil pressure guage Is crazy the car didn't have 50 miles on the oil change and the guage shows that the oil pressure is low under the half mark. Now my car started to make a ticking sound and It got louder. I stoped driving it after this happaned. While driving sounded like something got in the way and made a grinding noise for like half a sec. The car when I bought it had a cam headers and dont know if it had heads. The car's numbers were 412rwhp and 408 tq all na after the smooth bellow, air lid and some free mods. The question is if I decide to go 346 is it smart the rebuild the motor or just buy a new block. I have about 3500 to spend not not including the labor. If I decide to go 402 would the cam I have now and heads make about the same power, or less. This is just to hold me up for a new cam and heads later. Please Help
Old 07-09-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Junkie

you could possibly use the block if its not damaged. but you wont be makin that much more hp with any other 346 setups imo. if you have the cash, i say go with the 402. the heads and cam will work, but obviously wont make that much power. cubes will always make more [usable] power with the same heads/cam on a smaller engine.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

With only $3500 to spend, Get a forged 346 from LME (http://www.latemodelengine.com/) for $2300 (+ exchange) or $2800 straight out the store.
Talk to BRYAN he is super to deal with.

Going 402 is not budget.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

I have two 408s right now just waiting around for someone to buy them and I have some I can do for a very nice price with some 7/16 bolt I beams I have that would certainly save some money as well and still use Wiseco pistons. Of course we still have our regular engines as well and we do many of the aluminum block deals too. Give me a call if you get stuck.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys wanted to get another opinion what do you guys think of this price and build
( http://www.agostino-racing.com/packa...ort1&sm=sm2_pt ) I think this is a good deal just because I get the cam that i want and they upgrade the oil pump. Also I have another guy I talked to and he said that he would do It all raise the compresion ratio to 11.5:1 and put some valve springs and push rods in the motor that would let it handle up to a .700 lift what do you think about this combo with a sportsman block if I need a new block we are looking at about 3200 but if they can use the block as a core exchange the price is about 2600. Is this better or the Agustino race motor????
Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MAXIMO
Ok guys wanted to get another opinion what do you guys think of this price and build
( http://www.agostino-racing.com/packa...ort1&sm=sm2_pt ) I think this is a good deal just because I get the cam that i want and they upgrade the oil pump. Also I have another guy I talked to and he said that he would do It all raise the compresion ratio to 11.5:1 and put some valve springs and push rods in the motor that would let it handle up to a .700 lift what do you think about this combo with a sportsman block if I need a new block we are looking at about 3200 but if they can use the block as a core exchange the price is about 2600. Is this better or the Agustino race motor????
Agostino was banned from here on LS1tech a long time ago. They made APE look good. Don't do it!
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You have too many shops in TX to go all the way to Canada for a motor.
LME, HPE, MTI etc...
Old 07-12-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know you are right. So what did you guys think about the other choice @ 2500 if no core charge needed for block and upgraded springs and push rods??? That one I should be able to put a big cam huh? like the G5x3 or a nice T-rex. I want a nice aggresive sounding cam and don,t really care about gas mileage. I just want the most bang for my buck. Also with this set up what kind of power you est. Im looking at here.
Ls6 intake, lg air lid & K&N filter, Smooth Bellow SLP, Ported T.B., NGK TR-55 plugs, Msd 8mm Wires, Mac Mid tube headers, and Duals. With stock heads with the upgraded springs and push rods. 1 (with g5x3) 2 ( trex) and also how would this differ from that 346ci to the 402ci???? Would it make any diffirence. I just might go ahead and get the 402 if they tell me i need a new block?? Also read that the t-rex can make ls1 in the range of 420-450 RWHP range on a cam only car???