Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW lingenfelter 346 Break In & when can I spray Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEW lingenfelter 346 Break In & when can I spray Nitrous?

Getting a New Lingenfelter 346 with Forged Pistons since my engine took a turn for the worse. It was the #7 Piston that went as a result of likley a bad ring that finally gave out.

I know about the SDPC 402 etc, but it would have required several extra things (heads etc.) and woudl have cost a bunch .

A new engine was cheaper alternative to messing with repairing things.

How long should I break in the motor before I dyno it, and then I have a 100 shot wet kit. How long should I wait until I bring the car back to dyno it and run it with the nitorus?? It is a NX Dual Nozzle 100 shot wet Kit.

I was going to wait several hundred miles just to make sure things are working properly before I bring her back to spray it as I don't want to blow up a new engine.

Any suggestions.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're gonna get a mix of responses on this one from 'drive it like you stole it' from day one to 'the seals and rings have to seat properly for a few hundred miles'. I honestly don't know which one to believe, but I am always on a budget so I go with the latter response b/c I can't afford to be wrong about the first one.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rings are gonna seat they will do so very quickly.
I always get on the motor right when it gets together and tune the car within 20-50 miles of startup.
The nitrous shouldn't make that big of a difference.
Look at the track only cars that spray 300+ shot's on 400+ cubic inch motor's.
They are spraying down the track within a few miles as they never drive them on the street. I say listen to whoever builds the motor. Its their motor so do as they ask.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys
Old 10-13-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

should probably do a search on this as it gets asked a lot...

When I built my first motor, I broke it in by driving it for 500 miles before doing anything to it. The guy that did my machine work broke his motors in by planting the car against a pole and roasting the tires off...as far as I know both motors are doing just fine today (that was like 10 years ago though ).

The important thing is do whatever the person building your motor says to do, otherwise you may void any warranty on it.