Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

you've spent 2000.00 on heads,but your rings are worn out

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you've spent 2000.00 on heads,but your rings are worn out

this might be in the wrong forum,but i just had to say something. after seeing several posts over the past couple of years about"these heads i just bought(insert your favorite brand)are junk because i'm not putting down X amount of HP" i wonder how many of these motors had less than desirable ring seal.after i put my second set of heads on last winter,i did a compression test and found one of my cylinders was down about 40psi compared to the rest of the cylinders.(165)a friend of mine did a leak down test on his motor about the same time and found he had about 20% leak down,thru the rings.his motor had about 20,000 miles on it,although it had been beat on pretty good.

point being,these are still production engines with tolerances varying from motor to motor.i know it's a simple thing to do a compression or leak down test before major work is performed,but i bet a lot of people don't think about it before they buy the latest and best part for their car and are disappointed in the results.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

You are correct in what you are saying. Everytime we are in an engine bay, we do compression tests. Why? Why not? If the plugs are out for a cam change, or head change, why not see what the heck is up with the car? You never know how bad this car has had it. Same with cars going on my dyno. If I see the car was beat hard, and it was a do it yourself project, then I do a compression test. I already had to stop 2 cars in the last month and pull the heads off because it was just likek you said, one cylinder was down 50psi or so.

rick
Old 11-20-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
You are correct in what you are saying. Everytime we are in an engine bay, we do compression tests. Why? Why not? If the plugs are out for a cam change, or head change, why not see what the heck is up with the car? You never know how bad this car has had it. Same with cars going on my dyno. If I see the car was beat hard, and it was a do it yourself project, then I do a compression test. I already had to stop 2 cars in the last month and pull the heads off because it was just likek you said, one cylinder was down 50psi or so.

rick
my car doesn't burn oil,gets good gas mileage.it was a pretty strong runner so i didn't even think of doing a compression test before swapping heads.i noticed a little scoring on the low cylinder,that was my fault as i'm sure i got some dirt in there when i did the first head swap.it still runs good now,but i wonder how much more power i'd be making if all the cylinders were sealing like they should,lol.

and that's good thing about doing a compression test before you dyno a "do it yourselfer",kinda prevents a lot of drama if something would happen to the motor or someone being disgruntled about low numbers.

Last edited by 66deuce; 11-20-2005 at 11:28 AM.