Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need quick help from those who swapped out an Alt, and had ASP pulley.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need quick help from those who swapped out an Alt, and had ASP pulley.

Meant to post in External section.Oops.
Here's the story.oWhile taking a weekend vacation on the other side of the state about 6 months ago, my altenator took a crap instantly.I had to have it towed, and unfortunatley to Pepboys.The next day they swapped it out for me and on my way.Yesterday same symptoms,all dash lights on some flickering and flashing.I have lined up to pick one up at local pepboys tomarrow.I just removed my old one.

My question is, when you buy an altenator from a auto store does it come with a pulley on it??? Looking at the one on my car now that they changed,I'm not sure it's ASP underdrive.Maybe they forgot to swap my old one and just threw a belt on that would fit.Maybe i'm being paranoid but need info before I go in to trade for new one tomarrow.

What size is the ASP underdrive and what color is it??I'm thinking a new alt doesn't come with pulley but not sure.

Thanks Alot

JAy

Last edited by ls14jay; 11-22-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new alternators will come with a new pulley on them they would have to swap pulleys for an asp underdrive to be on it.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

The last time that I bought an alternator (orielleys for my old cutlass), it came with a pulley on it. We swapped it out in the parking lot and went on our merry way.

My guess is that it did come with one and since you did not mention that you needed to have the pulley swapped out, they didnt change it.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Launching!

If they didn't swap it over, then the belt would have to be changed wouldn't it? Or are the pullies close enough that the tensioner would make up for the factory size going back on.This is making me worry that they screwed me out of a pulley.If so I'm raising hell, but not much I can do about it.

Jay
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by ls14jay
If they didn't swap it over, then the belt would have to be changed wouldn't it? Or are the pullies close enough that the tensioner would make up for the factory size going back on.This is making me worry that they screwed me out of a pulley.If so I'm raising hell, but not much I can do about it.

Jay
I don't have any experience with the UD Alt pulley:
did you have to change the belt after the install?
I seriously doubt they changed either belt or pulley.
Every Alt I've ever bought had a pulley, FWIW.
There's a fair amount of compensation on the tensioner,
could be the stock belt works fine w/either pulley?
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Launching!

No I never changed the belt,been driving it like that ever since.I will compare the two pullies tomarrow to see if they were smart enough to see the difference in size.The pulley that is on the alt now is a brass color.I thought the asp ones were black, but am not certain.

Thanks guys.

Jay
Old 11-23-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They wouldn't know you had a different pulley on the alternator.

The new alternator already had a pulley on it, they don't swap them (or even think about it).
Old 11-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Launching!

You are correct the morons didn't notice the differnet sizes even when they had them side by side.Got my new alt today, same pulley. I have losts my ASP alt pulley.I gues I should have told them, but after being towed twice and on the other side of the state broken down, it was not on my mind.
I'm still raising hell with upper level Pepboys to see if I can get some $$ to cover new pulley.I know it's only 30 buck but it's the principle of thier stupid employees.DisclaimerNot all Pepboys employess are retarded.)New one is on and back to normal at least for 6 months till it takes a crap again.Generac, remanufactured in mexico alt, they willl get tired of giving me new ones I bet.

Thanks for the help guys.
Jay
Old 11-23-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe you are calling them morons because they didn't swap your pulley over when you didn't even think about it yourself. Have you never had to buy an alternator before?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Sure I've bought alternators before.This is the first one I've done on my camaro.I wasn't sure if they all came with a pulley or not.I know if I had two side by side, with different size AND color of pulley on them I would THINK twice and take the 2 min and switch them out.Maybe that's just me though, I care about my job and professionalism too much guess.If I have to think for them, what good are they?Part swappers are differnet then Mechanics.

Jay
Old 11-24-2005, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Practically all alternators are rebuilt these days and its common for them to come different but still fit. They dont always look identical, so its not as obvous as youre thinking for them to spot that. It would have been a good idea to let them know.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Launching!

I wasn't saying that they couldn't tell alternators apart, it was the size difference and color difference of the pullies.Sure the pulley color does very as well but the size should be the same.Maybe the ASP isn't that much different in size.I will get the measurements to see if it was an obvious difference or not before I bitch.If they are too close to call, undetectable to the trained eye( I use that term loosely),then I will drop it.

Jay