Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads n Cam for me?

Old 02-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads n Cam for me?

Okay, so I've been trying to figure this heads n cam thing out for the last week or so and I'm learing, but I need a little shove in the right direction here...

I've got a 2000 LS1 from a c5, and I've got about another $1000-$1200 in the budget to do some other stuff to the engine. I'm planning a 3" single exhaust with magnaflow and shorty headers, and I've already got a custom cold air intake figured out. The rest is stock. I know...shorty headers... get the LTs, but it's a custom setup here and sanderson seems to be the only ones that make something that will clear everything in my application.

I think I want to do a mild to medium cam and a set of heads if it's reasonable to do so with my budget. The big thing is that I don't want to lose much low end torque, and I definitely don't want to lose much in drivability. I know it's all relative to one's oppinion of what they can live with, but can someone at least tell me if I have enough in the budget to not be wasting my money.

All said and done, I'd like to end up at about 400-450 horse. My transmission and rear axle won't take more than that, so this is definitely the limit until I want to throw another several thousand at the project.

Oh, and I was gunna say that if I get new heads, I'd like to increase compression as high as I can go on pump gas. I figured that would should be easy power while I'm going that route anyway.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by Thumper33; 02-27-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

okay... I'd kinda like to get some advice on at least if it's worth pursuing for my budget.

One thought I had is to see if I can get someone's LS6 cam and heads that they upgraded. Figure that would get me up to 405 at least, and would be pretty cheap to get. Is that a waste?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Chat About A Thunder Cheetr Cam And Ls6 Intake On Your Stock Heads With New Springs, Chain, Lifters, And Oilpump.. That Should Do It
Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
Chat About A Thunder Cheetr Cam And Ls6 Intake On Your Stock Heads With New Springs, Chain, Lifters, And Oilpump.. That Should Do It
Old 02-28-2006, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

yeah go for the cheater it will probably be the best setup with your mods and budget
Old 03-01-2006, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might checkout the Precision Race Components LS6 heads. Starting at 899.99 & dyno proven to pickup good power!! Checkout the dyno section for results We have several different camshafts you can look at & I can put together a complete package for awesome $$$
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

It took me 2 months of research to finally figure out what i wanted to do with heads and cam... being 18 i had a pretty tight budget... these guys on her are badass and without this site... I wouldnt be where i am today on my car.. Do more research and good luck
Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Still trying to research this stuff.

Can you buy heads that will flow too much for a cam? I guess what I'm saying is if I can't decide on a cam right now, can I just get some good stage 2 LS6 heads and get some gains from that now, and then decide on a cam later? Wouldn't I get some gains from the heads install w/o doing the cam install now?

That might also let me put on some better heads now since I don't have to budget for the cam at the same time. I can then put the cam in later on the next budget.

Maybe that's just retarded. I don't know... that's why I'm asking.

Can somone maybe explain what would happen if you put better flowing heads on with a stock cam?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

more power in most cases but to get the most you need a new cam to take advantage of the new heads flow.. but to answer your question you could just go get a set of new heads and all should be better just make sure you pick valvetrain compodents (springs,locks, retainers, pushrods, ect..) that allow for bigger cams so you dont have to do it later

being your not too sure about things and on a budget i would reccoment a set of prc heads and a 224 ish cam but im not sure if you could accomplish all this on your budget ...
Old 03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW id do the cam swap now being the motor is easily accessable and do heads later

Search this Thread