Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car back from body shop, fouled plugs, after replacing... Pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car back from body shop, fouled plugs, after replacing... Pictures.

Well, the reason the car wouldn't start is because it's running extremely rich, and the body shop let the car idle for too long. They put another gallon of gas in (even though I already had almost 1/2 a tank) and wondered why it wouldn't start. I put a set of TR6's in it and it runs, but I noticed at lower rpm's it would run fine, even flooring it, but around 2500+ it'd break up even partial throttle like a fouling plug. Full throttle only makes it worse, to the point where the car would almost stall, and I'd have to back out of it and barely touch the gas until it cleaned itself up. I also noticed quite a bit of smoke coming from the tail pipe when it'd do it... Come to find out, I started thinking and realized something was wrong with the mocal return pump. I pulled over and found it disconnected. I reconnected the power to it and made sure it ran. I still had the same problem on the way home so getting on the freeway I was shifting it below 2500 and flooring it and it would run fine, just a little smoke here and there. I decided it'd be a good idea to pull the MAF out and to my surprise, it was coated in oil. I looked in the coupler going to the TB from the MAF and it had a puddle of oil sitting there by the throttle blade. Was all of that from the oil pump not being hooked up?! How did it make it all the way from the back up to the TB in that volume? I don't want to foul my TR6's, what would you do, and do you think that's why it's running like ***?

http://pontiac.wirelesstcp.net/tonyp.../fouledMAF.jpg
http://pontiac.wirelesstcp.net/tonyp...sam/oiltb1.jpg
http://pontiac.wirelesstcp.net/tonyp...sam/oiltb2.jpg

Last edited by 67Firebird455; 03-03-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The body shop fixed the drivers side that had the relay we had in there for it and unplugged it apparently. Today I cleaned the oil out and ran it again, stopped, took it apart, cleaned out more oil, did it again, cleaned out more oil. I was thinking top end cleaner to get it off the pistons and combustion chambers as it's too late now, oil was run through the sob. It runs good now, just a light coat of oil. I did notice one of my 90º silicone elbows is compressed down from the wreck, where they pushed the intercooler too close to the charge pipe (causing it to "pinch" closed). Not exactly sure how I'm going to straighten that out, maybe move the charge pipe away from the intercooler a little to let it open back up, bud I did notice I'm only getting 4-5psi now. It's not running as well as it did before it got hit, and I'm bummed. Anyone chime in?

I have a breather, and it will blow a small amount of oil mist out onto the valve cover, but have never had it in the intake that I know of. What worried me is the oil that was in the intake was mixed with a small amount of water (kind of milky dark brown color). I checked the oil in the pan and it's clean as can be (since I added some). I'm getting 4° KR now, and I wasn't before so I think the oil has carbonized in the chamber.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats so bad man , guys will pop in sooner or later for some info.