Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Push Rod SES? LS1 ticking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bent Push Rod SES? LS1 ticking noise.

My brothers WS6 has recently started making a wierd kind of ticking noise. I used a cut hose to try and hear from where exactly its comming from. We lifted the car and found its comming from between the tranny and the oil pan, or maybe even the starter? He was saying maybe a bent push rod would be causing the noise, he then asked if that would cause a SES. His car has no SES lights on or nothing. I noticed when you rev the ticking kinda fades and after you let go of the throttle and the car goes back to low rpms the ticking will get louder. The ticking doesnt seem to be comming from the engine IMO. But he is afriad of driving it due to the noise. Any help would be appricated! Thank you
Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No a bent pushrod would not throw an SES code. It could be a couple things. A bent pushrod as you stated, a loose rocker, or an exhaust leak. Also, he should make sure all of his plugs and plug wires are on tight, especially the back 8th plug. He should pull the valve covers and check all pushrods and then make sure all of the rockers are ightened down to 22 ft./lbs. I had the same problem and it was none of those so I ma pretty sure I have an exhaust leak. It shouldnt hurt to drive the car, just don push the daylights out of it. It may also just be regular old piston slap but I doubt thats it. Check all of the things stated above and if its none of those we can take it from there. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey man, thanks for the info. How about the flywheel? If that was hurting how would that sound? Its really starting to look like the starter. The sound started to stop after starting the car. But when you crank it, it sounds like ****. When the car is just in idle there is no ticing noise at all. when you give it a little rev it brings it back. maybe an exhaust leak that sounds like a possiblity or the starter as my dad stated.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't drive it. It could be anything. The aluminum cylinder case is an echo chamber and honestly it could be anything! I'd check pushrods and make sure they are straight and all like you said but then I would start checking other things. Does it change with the clutch in or stay the same? I had a rod knock that was exactly like that. It didn't really sound like a knock, motor didn't miss a beat. And it wasn't consistant with the noise. Dead silent at idle, and under load. Free revving it would intermittantly tap. I'd start looking and see. Also change the oil, and cut the filter open. If the oil looks grayish when you run your fingers through it and or feels gritty you got metal obviously. And it probiably came from the bearings. I'd start checking because if it is a rod now is the time to catch it before it really jacks something up. If the bearing is going turning the crank, new bearings, and getting a new rod will let him out of it as cheap as he could hope to. Hope you figure it out, but the story sounds way to familar to me.

Quick Reply: Bent Push Rod SES? LS1 ticking noise.