Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Jesel Sprotsman Rockers on ET Heads?

Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone using Jesel Sportsman Rockers on ET Heads?

Hey Gents, Has anyone tried a set of jesel sportsmans on their ETP heads? I already have a the rockers and I am in the market for a set of heads. I sent one of the guys at ET a PM and haven't heard back yet, but I hear they are really busy. From what I have gathered from their site there are special 11 degree rocker pedestals required. Anyone got any info?

Last edited by 96 Comp T/A; 04-21-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha... I sent cary the exact same question in a PM yesterday.

I'd like to know too. I've got a set of 215s coming and I have some jesel sportsmans.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probally wont work without some custom moding of the rocker rails. ETP has their own rocker stand's and unless the Jessel's are setup exactly like stock I believe some moding would be needed.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Collections Hold

Default hmmmm

all I can say is that it has been done. It requires elongating the 8mm holes in the stand to shift the whole setup over towards the exhaust valve slightly. I would not run out and buy a new set if you already have them.

we still maintain the stock geometry even though they are 11 degree valve angles
Old 03-31-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Second Club

but couldnt the whole stand shift if you did that and mess some **** up
Old 03-31-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cary et performance
It requires elongating the 8mm holes in the stand to shift the whole setup over towards the exhaust valve slightly.
Are we talking elongating with a nice coarse cartridge wheel or carbide cutter, or putting it in the mill type of elongating? I haven't seen the ET heads up close, but if there is enough material handy I can get the stands set up and then dowel them in to the head and keep them located.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder if Jesel would make some stands specifically for this combo? They made some specifically for the 265s right?
Old 04-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Collections Hold

Default stands

yes they do, for the j2k's.

elongating the hole, it would have to be done on a bridgeport with an end mill.

thanks,
cary
Old 04-06-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Okay, I've got some ET 215s here and some jesel SS rockers. I mocked them up and it looks like all that needs to be done is to shim the jesel stand by about 3/16th of an inch. Other than that the pushrods line up with the holes and the stand holes line up. But the rocker sits too far down and the roller tip is on the edge of the stem. Lift up the stand and all seems well.

Cary, what's all this about elongating holes? it doesn't seem needed.

I am going to get some washers and shim up the stand and try and turn it over with some checker springs and see where we are at on swipe and whatnot. If all that goes well I will make some aluminum spacers for the jesel stands and get longer hold down bolts.....
Old 04-06-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Regular

Keep us updated, inquiring minds want to know!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Collections Hold

Default rockers

Originally Posted by mr2guru
Okay, I've got some ET 215s here and some jesel SS rockers. I mocked them up and it looks like all that needs to be done is to shim the jesel stand by about 3/16th of an inch. Other than that the pushrods line up with the holes and the stand holes line up. But the rocker sits too far down and the roller tip is on the edge of the stem. Lift up the stand and all seems well.

Cary, what's all this about elongating holes? it doesn't seem needed.

I am going to get some washers and shim up the stand and try and turn it over with some checker springs and see where we are at on swipe and whatnot. If all that goes well I will make some aluminum spacers for the jesel stands and get longer hold down bolts.....
the center to center difference between the intake and exhaust is slightly closer together, about .030

if there is enough clearance to get all the bolts in, I don't think it would be ness.

thanks,
cary
Old 04-06-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cary et performance
the center to center difference between the intake and exhaust is slightly closer together, about .030

if there is enough clearance to get all the bolts in, I don't think it would be ness.

thanks,
cary
Oh, I didn't look real close at that. But I will check that angle when I mock up with the shims and checker springs. Man I hope this works out.... hehe... a bar shim would be an 'easy' fix.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Resident

The heads are off to a shop getting milled to 58cc and the exhaust valve and exhaust runner coated. I left a bank of the jesels so he can mill up a long shim and make some dowels for the jesel stand to align it all.

Should be about a week before I have it all back.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Did you check for angularity at mid-lift on the rockers?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Just a small update for every one. I just received my ET 225 heads and mocked them up. It looks like I will have to put a couple of very small eyebrows in the rocker stand to get the stand in place. The valve cover bolt posts are slightly in the line of fire. Other than that it looks pretty close, Perhaps of only the exhaust side hold down bolt holes were reamed out to the next larger drill size the bolts will go in. I will still have to check the geometry though and the rocker tip's placement side to side placement on the valve tip.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Ok guys, I made the eyebrows on the rocker stands and I can now bolt the stands in. I tried to get the bolts in as is but they are just a hair too far apart. I can ream out the exhaust side bolt holes and solve that problem pretty easy. Now on to the next obstacle, the geometry, which as is, is way off. Below are links to three pictures that I took. The first is without any of the supplied shims from jesel, the next is with two under each bolt and finally four. I need to put a set of checking springs on it but even with four shims I don't think that it will be enough.
MR2Guru I would love to know what you ended up with for a shim thickness.
No Shims
2 Shims
4 Shims

Search this Thread