Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gaskets and bolts other than OE GM???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gaskets and bolts other than OE GM???

Hey fellas, I am real close to purchasing a set of LS6 heads for my 01 TA. Im trying to do this with a small budget, so my question is.......TSP and my local dealer quoted me around 150.00 for both head bolts and head gaskets, which is a very fair price, but.......I work for NAPA auto parts and through my employee cost i can get both head bolts and head gaskets for a little over 50.00 They are VICTOR REINZ gaskets, so i know they are good quality, but has anyone else ran an aftermarket gasket or head bolt other than OE GM
Old 04-17-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm. I'd be hesitant. Head gasket/bolt problems are the last thing you're gonna need, especially on a budget!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a little info to share with everyone that i have learned recently...After talking to many experienced GM techs and My VICTOR REINZ techline. Victor actually supplies GM with almost all of their OEM gaskets, a watched a GM tech tear down an LS1 right before my eyes and saw the VR symbol on the head and exhaust manifold gaskets.... I actually found out that there actually only 4 gasket manufacturers even producing....and they supply all the the OE gaskets for FORD, GM, Chrylsler and etc.....You would also love to know that a TON of "pricey" performance vlavetrain parts are actually no better than the Clevite and Federal Mogul parts in auto parts stores...they are cast in the same foundries and relabeled... this came from the foundry techs....You mayt disagree but if you research you will find the same answers that i have..
Old 04-26-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

I have Fel-Pro's but would have no problem using NAPA stuff on a relatively mild LS1 build.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by King James
I have Fel-Pro's but would have no problem using NAPA stuff on a relatively mild LS1 build.
Fel-pro was one of the 4 companies
Old 04-26-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wanted mainly to let all you guys know that you possibly could save some money and time goin with VICTOR gaskets from both NAPA and CARQUEST They will be the same as those GM ones at your dealer