Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oilpump Pickup Tube BOLT

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oilpump Pickup Tube BOLT

I've just swapped cams, timing chains to a double roller and oil pump to a ported LS6,...now that i've seated the oilpump on the crank snout, bolted it up and the tube is sitting in place I DO NOT have enough room to fit the bolt in the hole of the pickup tube to the pump in order to hit threads and get it threaded for some reason, i KEEP dropping the bolt back in the pan and having to fish it out with a pen magnet, thought i'd ask if anyone had any way of doing this an easier way? the oil pan is sitting on the K-member as well..AKA as low as it will go without removing.i've also gotta 10mm gear wrench but it almost seems to be too big,...very tough situation and need some help..thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Damn man...if you got the pan dropped and all that it should be enough room. I have some skinny *** fingers so it was not that bad for me.

I say just keep trying and dont let that little ****** drop in the pan again! put some rags in the pan to keep the bolt from droping down again...be sure to remove them once you get the bolt in there.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Use the force. Curl your tounge and stick it out while squinting. The squinting assumes you don't have a blast sheild to avert your eyes. You got that SOB out of there. You can get it back in. I had to have my son hold the flashlight and I had to use my pinky fingers to get the thing started. I didn't drop it but, I think I felt some more gray hairs sprout on my noggin.

No offense Lithium but your saga caused me to lay awake at night in the fetal postion getting up sevral times during the night worring about rags, paper towels and other FOD. I was so glad finish my H/C/I install and be done with the reoccuring NightMare on Lithium Street. You are a legend.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to lay on my back under the car and get it started. I couldn't see it, but I could get my fingers in their better.. A little tip, tie some fishing line around the bolt incase you drop it again. You don't want to loose that SOB in the pan.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Try this, take the oil pump cover off, remove the internals of the pump and then remove the housing attachment bolts from the block basically removing the pump assy but letting it move freely around the crank snout. This should give you flexibilty needed to move things around a bit and increase the area to work with. Also it helps to prevent pinching the pick up tube o-ring.

Last edited by Cool Z; 04-19-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

well the oil pump pickup tube bolt is an 8mm...so yes it is too big.

you have to do some kind of shimming/modifications to get the oil pump to install correctly when using a double roller timing chain.

are you aware of this? you need to do some searching and find out what needs to be done if you havent already...because this is most likely your problem.
Im not using a double roller or I would help you out...maybe someone else knows for sure...but im sure you can find it with a search
Old 04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First put a rag under the pump so the bolt doesn’t fall into the pan. It just takes a little time and patients - you will get it. I used a ratchet wrench and screw drive to hold up the bolt in place.
Bill
Old 04-18-2006, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Yes the ported oilpump came w/ the correct shims to fit it up to the double roller, thats none of my problem ultraZ,...everything has fit perfectly and is lined up all right I just am having hell with the pickup tube bolt,...I have stuck it into the oil pump a few times but never enough to get it threaded, it almost seems like the bolts going in at an angle...which to me would seem like an impossibility since the tube is in the pump already
Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

try putting in a couple bolts at the very back of the oil pan. the two that go in horizontally, just thread them in finger tight. this will make the front of the pan drop the maximum possible and keep it their.

thats what I did.

if you still cant get it...well then I guess you will have to keep trying. you can move the tube a little bit without damaging it as well. this also helps
Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Put some tape on one side of an open end wrench and clean the bolt good. stick the bolt in wrench on press on to the tape ( as long as the bolt and tape are clean the bolt will stick) just enough to let you get the bolt started. and the bolt can't fall out because the tape. worked like a charm for me.
Good luck !! oh and like everyone has stressed stuff rags in the pan so you don't lose the bolt.

the oil pump is the worst part of and cam swap on the lsx motors
Old 04-18-2006, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

hah well thats good to know and on top of that note, anyone know how to use a crane valve spring compressor correctly? I've borrowed one from friend and he didn't give me all the parts really, but ive got the compressor against the bare aluminum rocker panel with bolts in, and then a threaded stem up through it to the plate that sits on top of the valve springs to compress...well the springs compress but not enough for the locks to fall out...whats the deal?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I had to lay on my back under the car and get it started. I couldn't see it, but I could get my fingers in their better.. A little tip, tie some fishing line around the bolt incase you drop it again. You don't want to loose that SOB in the pan.

This is a good idea, I used some dental floss. I wrapped it around the top treads a couple of times. Then when I got the bolt lined up, I just gently pulled the floss, causing it to spin itself in a few threads. Used an open ender to finish it up. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cool Z
Try this, take the oil pump cover off, remove the internals of the pump and then remove the housing attachment bolts from the block basically removing the pump assy but letting it move freely around the crank snout. This should give you flexibilty needed to move things around a bit and increase the area to work with. Also I have found it helps to prevent pinching the pick up tube o-ring.
This is how i install all my oil pumps. Never had a problem.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Take Cool Zs advise. He's telling you right. Removing the drive and driven gears from the pump allows you to wriggle the pump body around as you work the pickup tube into the pump body. Once the tube is seated fully home you start the bolt with your fingers(not a wrench, you don't want to cross thread this one). Once you're sure the bolt is in it is then time to use your 8mm gear wrench. Not tight yet. Don't forget the 3mm shims and the drive and driven gears. You need to orient the hole in the drivers side shim to line up the pump output hole with the hole in the shim and block. If you want to be very meticulous you're supposed to place two 0.002 feeler gauges at 3 and 9 oclock and then 12 and 6 oclock before you snug down the pump body mounting bolts to be sure the body is concentric with the cam chain/oil pump sprocket. I skip this step because there is so little room for movement once the pump is shimmed and the pickup tube is in after being forced to move 3mm forward there isn't a whole lot of space left for adjustment anyway. Now go back and fully tighten the pickup tube bolt and you're done. What was so hard about that?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by Doc
Use the force. Curl your tounge and stick it out while squinting. The squinting assumes you don't have a blast sheild to avert your eyes. You got that SOB out of there. You can get it back in. I had to have my son hold the flashlight and I had to use my pinky fingers to get the thing started. I didn't drop it but, I think I felt some more gray hairs sprout on my noggin.

No offense Lithium but your saga caused me to lay awake at night in the fetal postion getting up sevral times during the night worring about rags, paper towels and other FOD. I was so glad finish my H/C/I install and be done with the reoccuring NightMare on Lithium Street. You are a legend.
hahahhahahahahaha

got my vote for the best post ever
Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

The bolt is a 10mm by the way.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, it is a 10mm bolt, and what 3mm shims are we talking about? internally in the pump? b/c my stock pump had no shims, nor did my ported LS6 that i bought from texas speed. And yes i'll use some floss so i dont lose the bolt and put the rear horizontal bolts in and see what kind of room that gives me to work with, i have confidence it will go in, and I will probably go ahead and take the cover off the oil pump to make sure the ring sits right as well for reassurance.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:25 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

shims are for the double roller.

it just takes time man, it sucks big time yes, but its very possible.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

man I thought for sure my bolt was an 8mm...I just took it out about a week or two ago...I guess im wrong.